Flat reroof options

I am trying to decide on different options for reroofing my 1800 sf flat
roof in Florida. Due to the past hurricanes the prices are high. The quotations run like this 1) $9000 to do a 2 ply fiberglass IV with a mineral surfased fib. cap sheet 2) 10,000. for a 2 ply fib. IV with a top of modified bitumen 3) $11,000. for 3 ply fib IV with gravel embeded in hot tar 4) $12,000. for 4 ply fib IV with gravel embeded
They all carry a guarantee of only 5 yrs.

I get confusing statements like:
a) mineral surface cap sheet will last 7 yrs or 15 yrs
b) modified bitumen top sheet, gets moldy due to water puddles
c) a 3 ply gravel roof will last 10 yrs or 15 yrs.
c) a 4 ply gravel roof will last 15 yrs to 20 yrs.

Aside from making the right choice I think the primary issue is to get
a good workmanship job done and I have no way of knowing who will do
an appropriate job. I’ve been unlucky in the past. Thats why I’m coming to you roofing psychiatrists. Help …Nat

a.) true
b.)ponding water is not allowed by 95% of the manufacturers
c.)a 3 ply should last 20 yrs if installed correctly.what type of flashings on on your bid?
d.) a properly installed 4 ply should go 30 yrs once again if it is installed to proper specifications.
most failures on burs are ussually flashings that have failed.these roofs will also collect algae(moldy)
also these prices are high for the size of your roof.

Im just going to defer all BUR questions to roofboss from now on.

hello natsara,
i remember you.
i can probably do it for 7,500
either two layer peal n stick,
or torchdown, or 2ply/capsheet.
theyll all be in that nieghborhood

let me know.
send me a couple pics if ya can
roofsbygweedo@ij.net

gweedo

gweedo go foam.

[quote=“roofboss”]a.) true
b.)ponding water is not allowed by 95% of the manufacturers
c.)a 3 ply should last 20 yrs if installed correctly.what type of flashings on on your bid?
d.) a properly installed 4 ply should go 30 yrs once again if it is installed to proper specifications.
most failures on burs are ussually flashings that have failed.these roofs will also collect algae(moldy)
also these prices are high for the size of your roof.[/quote]

The life-expectancy that roofboss gave are probably a little inflated for Florida. My understanding is roofboss is a Chicago based roofer, so he likely doesn’t see as much UV damage as you will experience in Florida. Heat is the number one enemy of asphalt, so you will not get the longer life span where you live. That is not to take anything away from roofboss, because he certainly has proved he knows his roofing, but every region is a little different.

Now, as for what I would do. I would want a base sheet, 2-ply Type IV felt in asphalt, and then an APP modified bitumen cap sheet; or 3-plies of Type IV if you don’t need the base sheet, and the APP modified bitumen cap sheet. You may also want to consider a spray-applied polyurethane foam, but I’m not the one to talk to as far as promoting foam.