Flashing question...on top or under the brick?

OK…so I see that ever Newmark home built in our neighborhood has the flashing on top of the lowest brick row and under the upper shingle row

Every home…EXCEPT FOR OURS!!!

The flashing on our home is behind/under the lowest brick line and under the shingles where you can’t see the flashing at all. Between the top shingle & the lowest brick line is a very unsightly line of brick mortar.

Did our builders screw up?

Here’s a pic of my house…You can obviously see (by the arrow) one part where the flashing actually covers the brick as it turns the corner, but for some reason, they stopped and continued it under the brick to the end.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/horn1chris/BC1House.jpg

Hard to see without being able to zoom in there.

In any case, flashing that extends into the brick and is built with the house is called a through-wall flashing. The mason will typically leave us an unfinished chimney let’s say, close to the roofline and in a step like pattern. Now we come in and put our copper in and then the mason comes back and finishes his work. That may be what you have there. However from what I can se in the picture it may be more likely that you have plywood or plywood like outter walls. The roof was put on first and then the brick was attatched to the walls. Which although it could still be done right that way maybe? (terminations might present a problem) it would still seem dumb to me as it would be hard to repair or replace anything. Maybe someone here who has some G.C. experience can shed some more light than I.

Here are 2 Before & After pictures. The flashing is definately installed behind the brick. Why in the hell would they do that? If you wanted to get a new roof, how would you even replace that section of the flashing?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/horn1chris/BC1.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/horn1chris/BC2.jpg

Yeah see, you can get away with that cheesey stuff if your terminations are done right. Meaning where the flashing terminates in such a way as to allow any water that might be on it to dump out. From that pic it looks like any water will dump in the brick wall. It’s possible they put a box on the end between that pic and the brick being laid but somehow I doubt it.

Tar Monkey, here in Texas we almost never get copper.

In this sort of situation, what we do is simply pop the nails, pull out old shingles & then slide in new ones. If the production used staples, then we can reuse one of the two holes poked in the flashing because the nail is larger than the factory hole.

If it’s nails, then we need a new penetration point & the old nail hole is siliconed over.

As for your question with the arrow, I will need to see that section up close however I think it was masoned in with step flashing on the corner.

I’ll also respond to Horn1 on HornFans which is where he also posted the same question.

Horn1, if you’re in the Central Texas area, send me a PM via HornFans & I can do an onsite inspection to tell you where the production build went wrong on the roof (happens all the time with mass production roofs).

RanchHandRoofing / NCAAFBALLROX

[quote=“horn1”]Here are 2 Before & After pictures. The flashing is definately installed behind the brick. Why in the hell would they do that? If you wanted to get a new roof, how would you even replace that section of the flashing?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/horn1chris/BC1.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/horn1chris/BC2.jpg[/quote]

That looks like crap. Is this new constuction. Whys is the roof going on at that point in the build. That meat is all wrond and even some of the shingleing.
But it kinda late for that now isnt it.
Nice house tho.

That is pretty cheesy looking. what a mess when they have to reroof.

already answered these questions,how many opinions you need horn1 :roll:

Must pursue every avenue. :mrgreen:

see my reply on rcs

Well, I looked @ his house today. The flashing, while not purty, is passable.

The bigger problem is in the valley cut(s) for about 1/2 the roof. They are not cut to the high side…

I should have taken pics but was behind sked for the day & didn’t take my camera up on the roof with me.

Possibly more to come later…

& Yes, all the new(er) houses being built in his subdivision are installed the same way.

good to see a member gettin out to an rc job.

nice area to , ranch.
i visited once, went up to mount carmel i think it was.
yeah sweet place indeed.

eya.

gweedo.

Gweedo, what’s an “rc” job?

& when I say the new(er) houses are being built the same way, I meant the flashing situation is nearly identical.

His flashing was laid under the brick & morter vs. being set into the joints or scored brick with a straight line of turnback or step flashing set into the joints.

As for “Mount Carmel”, if you were here in Austin, then it was probably Mount Bonnell - the highest point in the county & has a decent view of Austin off to the East; a great look down on Lake Austin to the West.

flashings dont have to be behind the brick they can be raggled in.or in some cases a stopend bead is placed over the lead and roughcasted theres no right or wrong way any of the above is fine

also in my opnion your step flashing look to low and it looks like shite

Agreed, Scott…

One of the things I said to him (on more than a few occasions) was that if he was selling his house tomorrow & had a professional home inspector, this wouldn’t even remotely get a notice… of course, most inspectors probably wouldn’t notice the valleys being cut reverse, so that there tells you something.

I’ll prod the fellow for an update as to what the builder (project super, really) is going to do or what their conversation was like.

“…stopend bead is placed over the lead and roughcasted…”

scottish slater, what does that mean? Do you have any pictures that show that detail. I’ve seen some pics of UK roofing and it puts much of our roofing in the US to shame. Thanks

using a stopend bead is the quick way to do it u put an upstand up the wall say five inchs place a stopend bead on top and render usually done if the house is fully rendered/roughcasted or on a stack or something ill find u some pics

hi mate ,
i have looked at your picture’s and how they have finished the lead work and it is completely wrong .

The whole point of a lead flashing it not only keeps the water out but is a decorative feature on the roof and gives character to the building .

Also when the the roofer layed the shingles would he not have had to nail through the lead to fix the felt tiles , defeating the object of the lead flashing in the first place .

The lead flashing should sit on top of the tiles to form a water tight seal over the roof and fixed into the mortar joints and held in place .

refer to my gallery on here horn1

regards john