Flashing around chimneys

Hi,

I have two quotes to replace my roof one guy made a big deal to say that he was including the replacement of the flashing around my chimneys and repair the stucco that will have to be chiped out.

The other quote says furnish,install and paint all required jacks, flashings and valleys.

can I assume that the second quote will remove and replace the flashing around the chimneys???

Bob

[quote=“DUCKY911”]Hi,

I have two quotes to replace my roof one guy made a big deal to say that he was including the replacement of the flashing around my chimneys and repair the stucco that will have to be chiped out.

The other quote says furnish,install and paint all required jacks, flashings and valleys.

can I assume that the second quote will remove and replace the flashing around the chimneys???

Bob[/quote]

No.

Sounds like he left it up to him. The other guy made a big deal of it because its a pain to do.

The first guy observed a major potential leakage problem and delivered a detailed solution.

The second guy will paint the problem and it will be left to his, “Gag”, "Better Judgment if the flashings need to be replaced.

That is when you will be hit with an extra change order and since he did not have the proper work observed and included in the first place, it probably reveals a tell-tale short coming on his qualifications.

Or the first guy was making an issue out of a situation that didn’t need to be, but I doubt it with the additional stucco work described.

Ed

I agree with Axiom and Ed.

I think number 2 uses caulk instead of doing it right. Just my early morning thoughts.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said; other than I suppose you can make that assumption, but you will probably regret it if you do.

May I suggest you point it out to the one roofer, and tell him you want the chimney properly repaired and flashed. Tell him to include the verbiage into his proposal and give you another price if he didn’t figure proper repair of the chimney into his bid. All the same, I’d be apprehensive with this contractor.

if your chimney flashing wont last the life of your roof then it will need to be torn out and replaced.

i find that tearing something out that dont need to be can sometimes cause more problems than fix.

be carefull, get one more opinion.
or post a picture of said flashing,
well let ya know.

gweedo.

Hi,

You already assumed the flashing needs to be replaced.

Maybe the flashing does not need to be replaced.

Replacing flashing that does not need to be replace can cause problems.

I have seen guys replace flashing with materials that will not last as long as the material they took out.

“New Roof” to me means all new flashings. I would replace everything!

The only exception is when there is a stucco wall where the stucco stop is too tight to the roof deck to slide the new step in properly–and the customer doesnt like the looks of external counter flashing.

I also agree. I include all new flashings with a new roof, including counterflashings. Except in the case of original copper that was installed proprly and is still in good shape. I always inform the H.O. of the condition of the chimney also, joints, cap, and any other things that are a potential leak. This is the only way to maintain a no call back record of 22 yrs!

Don’t assume anything, the contractor is only legaly bound to do the work written in the contract. Also keep in mind that many contractors will omit things like that in order to give a cheaper price and get the job. Once the job is under way they nail you with tons of “extras”. Tell #2 you want the contract re-written and why. Get a third estimate too.