Finding a roofing job that pays what you are worth

I just moved to NC from TN. Left a job paying 16.00 an hour to here. Found a job in NC and getting paid 9.75 an hour. What is up with NC? Roofing jobs don’t pay nothing here. Anyone know of any jobs in Asheville that pay you what your worth?

Hindsite 20/20.

9.75 an hour, I pay my ground men 10.00 an hour.

Oh moderator,Oh moderator…

We need a new section for the forum, “The Worst Roofing Companies you have worked for”.

Honestly, I would just get a mirrow and sit on the back door steps and watch myself starve to death before I would roof for 9.75 an hour. However I have taken other jobs for less to put groceries on the table, but it won’t be roofing.

I hear it every day, I have too much experience, we can’t hire you . WE are looking for temporaries, so do as I do and sell your own jobs, or find another profession, I’m too old to start over, people knock on my door and ask if I’ll roof their house.If I was a roofer, I wouldn’t walk up the ladder for 9.75 an hour.Is that cash or are they taking out taxes.

Wow thats rough. I would not lay a shingle for that amount of money. The lowest I pay a guy is 10 dollars and thats the ground guy who knows nothing but how to put stuff in the dumpster. The highest guy on payroll is at 27. Its amazing how prices can change where you live. If any of you guys ever watch and of the flip that house or househunter shows or anything its almost ridiculous to see the difference in prices between two areas. A house here thats 300000 would be 150000 in texas but around a million in cali. I guess that must be the price of living in your area.

Dude that’s not to good I pay swear on my life this is true I pay 150 a day some guys 175 a day and pending on the job 200 a day swear roofing is kinda dangerous in pittsburgh though and I only average about 350 a day myself I just feel that my guys are unreplacable and mind you I get 90 per square and after I put 20 percent of the gross away for taxes I don’t make much but my guys are really loyal to me so who knows I don’t believe in laborers either we all strip shingles we all shingle and we all clean up this is just the way I was taught and I’ve had the same guys forever

my lowest paid guy is 15 my highest 35 .

yeah dude…my lowest guy is 15.
you cant get anybody to do anything for anyless pretty much…

My people are paid,
$14,15,20,20,35,40,45,50 an hour. Keep in mind at those pay rates the experiances are,
$14=4 years (sad thing is she’s probably my hardest worker)
$15=1 year
$20=3 years each
$35=14 years
$40=11 years
$45=21 years
$50=36 years

Half are full time the other half are part time. My Dad at $50 has been full time for a year in a half for me, he’s worth every penny. At 52 he’s the fastest shingler.
I try to stay on insurance jobs that pay a bare minumal of $300 per square. Most average $450 a square.

With the above mentioned crew we did a 22sq tear off this Summer in 4.5 hours start to finish. We did also did a 40sq 8/12 12/12 tear in one day this Summer.

My first day on a roof I was paid $7 an hour. My first real job was on a clean up crew for a huge builder when I was 12 at $4.50 an hour.

to Dougger:

Are you serious about you dad roofing?.. man, I would pay my dad not to work, especially in roofing. Never mind having my dad working for me. I guess it is just my background, but dad in my mind is the boss ( in almost every respect ) - not the guy you send up the ladder to shingle

Times have changed, I started out roofing for 1.75 an hour when I was 15. I was really making the bucks when I was getting 3.00 a square.

Yeah if I could afford it I would be paying my old man NOT to go up the ladder. Hopefully one day I can and get him into doing something that involves a lot less work than doing the actual roofing. But hey dougger if your old man can do it, props to him. He must be in pretty damn good shape.

[quote=“dougger222”]My people are paid,
$14,15,20,20,35,40,45,50 an hour. Keep in mind at those pay rates the experiances are,
$14=4 years (sad thing is she’s probably my hardest worker)
$15=1 year
$20=3 years each
$35=14 years
$40=11 years
$45=21 years
$50=36 years

Half are full time the other half are part time. My Dad at $50 has been full time for a year in a half for me, he’s worth every penny. At 52 he’s the fastest shingler.
I try to stay on insurance jobs that pay a bare minumal of $300 per square. Most average $450 a square.

With the above mentioned crew we did a 22sq tear off this Summer in 4.5 hours start to finish. We did also did a 40sq 8/12 12/12 tear in one day this Summer.

My first day on a roof I was paid $7 an hour. My first real job was on a clean up crew for a huge builder when I was 12 at $4.50 an hour.[/quote]

I don’t think these people worked for you for all the years listed, so I have 35 years experience, does that mean you would pay me 50.00 an hour? Just kiddin.
But it would be nice.

Y’all complain all the time about Texas roofing co’s being overrun with Mexicans, however the lowest paid guy on any of my jobs (for a FULL days work) is $ 150.00 & that is ground OR roof on a ‘normal walkable single story’.

Top end is usually around $ 200.00 for a really valuable guy, steeps & multiple heights on top of that.

I tell you what, if I was the top guy and only getting paid 200 a day for doing all the hard labor and shingling while a guy who did nothing but picked up off the ground and did not have to get on a roof to even tear it off and he still made 150, I would have some serious problems with that.

So, on a 9 hour job (8 if you consider ‘actual’ work vs. a 1 hour total break + breaks whenever reasonably needed), you would complain about $ 22.00+ per hour?

My Mom is a Registered Respiratory Therapist & has been doing her job for 30+ years. To get her registry, she had to go to college for 2 years AND she is required by state law to take continuing education every year to the tune of around 20+ hours. She specializes in cardiac rehabilitation & ICU work (ventilators) that keep patients on ‘breathing machines’ alive.

She makes $ 23.50 per hour, which is well within the range I mentioned (for a ‘normal’ slope roof).

Do you have what it takes to be responsible for someone’s life? If I screw up someone’s roof, it will probably result in less than $ 100.00 in sheet rock & insulation work… if she has a bad day, someone dies.

Wanna trade?

Not me.

The 22.50 is not the problem. I also consider a 9 hour day with one hour of breaks a full day. My point is that there is very little difference in what you pay a guy who has NO experience compared to a guy who you can trust to run a jobsite on his own. If I paid my foreman 200 (just using the numbers you used) dollars a day to tear off the roof, prep the roof, and to shingle the roof all while making sure the four other guys are busy at all times while having to answer their questions and help them out and have to stop to answer any homeowner questions while he still knows he has a deadline but he also knows he is only getting 50 dollars more than the guy who has asked him a million questions, he might have a problem with that. Maybe its just the way I was taught but someone that I can leave alone on a jobsite compared to someone I have to keep a set of eyes on at all times is worth much more a day than 50 dollars more than the lowest guy. (I must have my pay rates all wrong)

Also, I would not want to trade positions with your mother which is a very respectable job but I doubt she would want to get up on a 2 story 6 pitch 2 layer tear off for only 50 dollars more than someone who gets to pick up the ground all day… Do you get what I am trying to say or did I just misunderstand you?

Bam, I run my own jobs. It is the rare project that I leave it fully alone for someone else to supervise. I guess that’s the price I have to pay for doing this kind of a job in a state that is 99% subcontract labor.

In our area, the going rate usually is $ 150.00 for a ‘basic’ ground guy with no upcharges. The ground guy is often doing more in the way of physical labor than the shingle, albeit not as ‘skilled’ & probably a bit easier on his knees or back.

Okay Ranch then I understand. I have a guy who I can trust being on the job as much as I can trust myself so it works well in order for me to go look for more jobs. I also thought you meant ALL he did was pick up the ground so I misunderstood you a bit there. We usually all tear it off together and roof it together so I assumed you may do it the same. My apologies for the misunderstanding. 150 a day is a good number for a “basic” laborer.

Bam, this thread also brings up a lot of other considerations as to what a ‘living wage’ is, what kind of worth a person has, etc.

Does someone deserve a higher amount of money because they THINK that they deserve it, because they have PROVEN they deserve it or some other esoteric desire?

I could probably go to the local ‘day labor hangout’ spot & find two guys doing ground labor @ 10.00 an hour, & on a good day two halfassed guys on the ground would do a faster & more thorough job than one good one, but is spending an EXTRA 50.00 ( 10.00 x 10 hours x 2 guys = 200.00) worth a roll of the dice on some dudes I have no real info about?

To the average custoemr type out there who is reading this thread, it’s obvious but there’s more to roofing than nailing shingles to a piece of wood.

Hey Ranch, Sorry I never saw your reply but I get what youre saying about the ground clean up. I recently hired a laborer to pick up and everything and he wants 16 an hour and for around here, that is a lot for a grunt as we call them. I know of some companies who pay their shinglers that straight hourly without paying square. I have another guy cleaning up the ground, and I am paying him 13 an hour because I feel like that is what he is worth for how hard he works. (you dont need a degree to pick up the ground quickly). The guy at 16 has NO experience, I havent even seen him pick up before. The foreman calls me from the jobsite and asks me what I agreed to pay this guy and jumped down my throat. He told me he was picking up maybe 2 square an hour from off the ground and was afraid to get on the roof. (Two story, 5 pitch). The guy making 13 an hour can easily do 3 times the amount and isnt afraid of the roof.

The difference between the two is that the guy making 16 is 34 years old and the one who is at 13 an hour is 20. To me, age should not make a difference in what you get an hour. It is not fair to the other guy or to anyone else. It is not my fault that you are that age and are only cleaning up the ground because of whatever poor life decisions you had made. Anyways I told him the foreman told me he was worth MAYBE 12 an hour. He then said his age made him more valuable than that then left the jobsite. Not a big deal. I like to clean up and show them how its done anyways. :slight_smile:

To answer “Does someone deserve a higher amount of money because they THINK that they deserve it, because they have PROVEN they deserve it or some other esoteric desire?”

I think they have to prove it. No matter your age. The more you know and the harder you work, the more you get paid. Onto the whole ground guy thing. Lets say I get two 18 year old kids and start them at 10. One works like he is only making 10 dollars and gets 3 sq off the ground a day. The other doesnt think about the money and picks up 15 sq a day. The kid picking up more, gets paid more.

Wow I rambled and I could keep going. Must be because that snow is starting to fly around here. Take care in the sun.

Bam, here’s a prime example of how the unknown can cost you:

About 2 years ago, I had a ‘basic’ 2 building project*; a pair of mirror image duplexes, L shaped, on a sloped hillside just S of downtown Austin / W of the interstate.

What should have been a 2 day job starting on Monday morning stretched into a Thursday cleanup because the contractor wanted a “truss up” to take dips out of the 40 year old 3/8" plywood roof decking (should have just put a 30 year shingle on there, but that’s another discussion). We ended up spending nearly an entire day just doing a redeck & running new string lines to scab on new level rafters.

I was tired of this project & wanted to get to the other side of it, so I hustled up to “Big Orange Box” & picked up 3 guys, telling them it was a 30.00 job. If they finished it in 3 hours, it was 10.00 per hour; if they took 2 hours, it was $ 15.00 per hour (plus Gatorade when done).

After the 4th time making passes through the bushes, landscaping, etc. to point out stuff they missed or were ignoring, I was satisfied with the work & went to talk to the project GC. While I was about 60 ft. away, two of these goofballs started ‘rasslin’ & one tossed the other into the side of my Chevy 3500, making a now permanent dent over the gas fill door (I went to two body shops & they can’t suction cup it out, so save the suggestions).

This project conclusion wasn’t worth bringing out all 7 guys on the crew; all I needed was to get some final touches done on the cleanup…

So, there you go.

*We all know there’s really no such thing as “basic” or “simple”… the best laid plans, etc. etc.