Extra vents with a ridge vent

I’m getting a new roof and am having a ridge vent installed. The roofer said I should leave up the existing vents on the backside of my roof as well as the electric vent. The more vents the better. He also suggested he replace the electric one.

I was under the assumption that you should only use soffit vents with the ridge vent to get the right air flow up the attic ceiling. Should the roof vents be taken off or left on. Also the Ventilator electric vent.

I’ve read a lot of the topics, but none never really answered my question, should the vents stay or go.

Thanks

if you in some sweltering hot climate,
leave em in.
if your in the snow,
then wait for the snowbirds here to assist.

gweedo

Well gweedo where ever he live you MUST remove them. Air follows the path of least resistance. Leaving them in will only short circut the ridge vent. Pull them peroid. No powered attic fans either. Snow or no snow the pricipals are all the same. You will cut of the bottom half of the roof turning the existing cans into intake vents.

DITTO

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

DITTO[/quote]

DOUBLE DITTO !!

You are exactly correct. Your roofer is dead wrong.

if you have a attic or crawl space thgen go with the individual vents. They look nicer and work well. The maintance on them is zero. In the futere the replacement will be easy as pie.
Whirly birds are stupid. The electric vent are stupid also. Just go with the individaul vents.
The point of avent if to let air reach inside the attic and roof. If not the roof will keep moisture and cuase mold and some ugly shit that you dont want.
That it.

the ridge vents pull air from the closest available source(ie;the roof vents/or gable vents /fan) roof louvres/vents only vent the rafterspace theyre on,and result in multiple roof protrusions that should be sealed,i would go w/ridge vents ,soffit vents,and even cover over the gable vents/fan so they dont interfere w/ the airflow–you can check the facts at G.A.F.COM

i say if you put a hundred vents in the roof, it will
be more ventalated than if you just put one in.

now would someone care to disagree with me on that one.

OK. I’ve gotten a couple more estimates and they all said it was up to me if I wanted to remove the 710’s and the power vent. They will be removed. One did say to definitely remove the power vent but the others was up to me.

5 years ago we had a screened in porch added and the roof over that is a bout a 3/12 roof. I was also told (we are getting Certainteed Landmark architectural shingles) that we should leave that roof as it is (very good roof on that part) because the architectural shingle will give me problems in about 5 to 7 years due to the flatness and water standing. Good advice or bad?

I’m listening to the voices of authority lhere.

Thanks.

Dog

3 on 12 is borderline,time will tell–by code it should have ice&water shield on the entire thing for no problems–also depends what climate you`re in

Listen, ridgevent is the favorite upgrade product that many roofers/sales man like to use as a nice profit center. They who are learned about how ridge vent works will tell you that you can not have any other type of ventilation in conjunction with ridgevent. Otherwise it short curcuits the ridgevent and you have spent the extra money for nothing. Plus now you have a roof that is improperly ventilated.

These types are to lazy to close the static vent holes and just say, Oh leave the existing vents, the more the merrier and this is just doing you a dis-service to you.

Ok here’s a nice little link to ventilation basics. It’s a very good read.

roofhelp.com/ventilation_main.htm

Here’s a quote from it:

“Another common misconception is “more is better”. Many people think that they can improve ventilation of their attic by installing vents all throughout the roof surface. What they don’t know is this causes a Ventilation Short Circuit.”

The extra vents are coming out. Now what about my other question:
5 years ago we had a screened in porch added and the roof over that is a bout a 3/12 roof. I was also told (we are getting Certainteed Landmark architectural shingles) that we should leave that roof as it is (very good roof on that part) because the architectural shingle will give me problems in about 5 to 7 years due to the flatness and water standing. Good advice or bad?

Thanks of ALL the help. I really listen to what all of you have to say. You guys are great.

Dog

The extra vents are coming out. Now what about my other question:

Thanks of ALL the help. I really listen to what all of you have to say. You guys are great.

Dog

“5 years ago we had a screened in porch added and the roof over that is a bout a 3/12 roof. I was also told (we are getting Certainteed Landmark architectural shingles) that we should leave that roof as it is (very good roof on that part) because the architectural shingle will give me problems in about 5 to 7 years due to the flatness and water standing. Good advice or bad?”

I am going to assume there is some kind of low sloe application on there now. I wouldn’t put shingles on anything less than a 4/12 myself. I mean you could debate installing ice and water barrier on the entire deck and doubling the felt, blah, blah, blah but I have always been of the opinion that your underlayment is not what is supposed to keep moisture out. It’s your back-up or second line of defence. Without seeing it I can’t say if you should replace it or not, but no I would not shingle a 3/12.

well mr sorry dog.
hopefully you wont board up all but 2 of the windows in your house, to keep it from short circuiting also.

dont cry to me when your attic doesnt vent enough.

gweedo.