Exposed nails on shingles below siding

I have just had my roof done by a great crew of guys who worked very fast in super cold weather (15 F) but they seemed really skilled and competent. Roof looks great!

Then a week later I am up on the roof to clear snow off some skylights and I see a row of exposed nail heads on the top row of shingles where our kitchen addition roof meets the wall of the old house. Then I look around and see another row of nail heads on another section of roof that is an apron-like thing over the garage doors. Again, it is the top row of shingles where they go up against a wall of siding. I also now see exposed heads on the last cap shingle on the house and garage and shed ridges.

So what do you think? Should I call them back to redo those shingles or put special caulk on the heads? I was able to determine that row of shingles below the nailed ones (on the kitchen roof) have been slid under the flashing which makes me feel better.

Was I foolish to have it done in such cold weather?

This is my first roof as a homeowner so I invite your knowledgeable thoughts.

Not a big deal but they should be caulked. Sounds like they covered the apron flashing? Thats okay if it’s done properly, and may be the norm where you live. If they knew what they were doing those temperatures shouldn’t affect much.

It is common to see exposed nail heads in those areas as long as there is a flashing under the top shingle and the shingle is set in a bed of roof cement. When doing it that way you need to use high quality non corrosive nails (hot dipped galvanized, stainless, or copper) regular cheap electrolgalvanized nails will rust and eventually fail. I personally like to do it this way opposed to a wad of caulk or muck over the nail head.

It’s very helpful to have both responses. I doubt that I will be able to
determine the quality of nails used or whether there is roof cement under
the top layer of shingles. But it is comforting to know that the evidence
of the nail heads showing is not by itself a sign of sloppy workmanship.
Thanks very much.

There still should be caulk over the nail head.

Your bigger question should be WHY WERE THEY INSTALLING AT 15 DEGREES? Shingles should only be installed at 40 degrees and warming, unless the shingles were kept in a hot box overnight. You are asking for trouble. The adhesive does not activate in cold temps.

It takes more effort to do a quality install in that weather but I’ve done it many times with no issue. Just need to make sure you are not damaging the shingles while nailing and bending them.

The snow keeps the shingles from blowing off.

Shingles can be installed below zero if done correctly, I can’t recall a winter installed shingle of mine ever blowing off.

I would be much more concerned about the condition of shingles around every nail installing in those temps. “If” you have any issue…it definitely won’t be covered by manufacturers warranty. Unless every shingle was handnailed and handsealed. We don’t install shingles below freezing temps. I know folks that live in very cold climates always say “well we would never work” but reality is where you live isn’t the manufacturers problem. The warranties are for all. Cold weather applications are inherently more expensive if done correctly and to meet warranty specs.

It can be argued that it is better to install shingles in the cold than the heat of summer.

I disagree. It can be argued that fall and spring are best due to thermal movement and more centered stability of the asphalt…but cold is not good for fiberglass or asphalt where shingles are concerned.

Believe what you choose and check with the manufacturer. Shingles installed below the published temp will HAVE NO WARRANTY.

That is not true where I live, in ontario
The wind warranty doesn’t start until the shingles have a chance to seal in the spring.
If a manufacturer did not allow winter installations here, no-one would use that manufacturer
I have done lots of warranty forms for several manufacturers, thank to failed organic shingles
Installation temperatures are not mentioned on the form at all

My warranty is the one that matters in this case.

If the shingles are nailed in the double laminate they will withstand an entire winter before sealing down, even on the East shore of Lake Michigan.

A large part of the reason I haven’t had any issues with my numerous (literally 100’s over a couple decades) winter installs is because the vast majority of them are Certainteed Landmarks or better.

If I was a GAF installer I would agree with you 100%.

I had an issue with a winter time TAMKO install, none blew off but about 6 sq buckled, I haven’t used them since.

Lol…I feel the same about gafelk axiom…:joy::joy:
I know we can install in cold weather…its just a matter of the environment. I like to install when temps are avg for the area…such as lows avg 25 highs avg 85…best temps for install…55 to 60. I to work year round but find other projects on the below 40 days.

I actually don’t mind the cold too much down to 15 - 20 so long as it isn’t snowing.

I definitely prefer winter roofing to roofing in July, in July I’m looking for any reason to stay off a roof after 11 AM I can find.

Are you serious Axiom?
I didnt do any work all week last week
Because the highest temp day all week was only 47 degrees with a 15 mile an hour sustained wind.
Half of us still caught a cold.
My body needs like 30 something degrees and rising to like 50 at least…
I thought we are about the same age?
Born in 71.
How do you handle the shingles when installing?
You still use your bare fingertips?
I have had a hard time setting shingles with gloves on.

I’m skinny…I like the heat!!:joy::joy:

Never had any issues with winner installed either but as somebody said we only use quality shingles. Below 20 normally end up hand nailing because guns are more trouble than they are worth. I prefer not to shingle when it’s that cold but when it’s got to get done do it. Was 10-20 last week we worked all week doing slate valley replacement didn’t feel too bad once the sun came out.

I don’t like cold either, cool yes . One winter me and a buddy of mine was working on a house he was on the front I on the back . Wind was hollowing ears were about froze when all of a sudden the wind blew one of my buddies shingles over the ridge and slapped me on the side of my face. Didn’t feel to good