Exposed nails on a new roof

I just had my roof replaced and have several exposed nails on the slope that has the most exposure to weather. Roofer is trying to cover nails with Black Jack sealant. I’m insisting that they replace shingles. Am I out of line? What is the point of a 50 year roof and a 5 or 10 year sealant? Understand that likelihood of leaking is slim, but feel that it is sloppy work at best.

its my opinion that the installer should replace the shingles. i am a superintendent of a company in Boulder CO. When i do my roof inspection be fore we call the city for the final inspection, if i see any exposed nails i have the crew come back and remove and replace those shingles with new ones, sometimes i do it myself if were real busy and need to get done. good luck! :slight_smile:

If they are apshalt shingles probably they won’t last that much, but you are right your roofer is lazy. Well maybe you could provide us with some additional photos? Cheers!

South Shore Roofing

Yes have them replace the shingles,you are not out of line at all.You paid for a new roof.Ask your roofer to show you any manufactures literature,where it says its ok to low nail,then caulk those low nails.

You thought you bought a 50 year roof??
Wow, you’re special.
So so special.

There are some places that require caulk, like the last shingle on the end of the line ridge cap.
If they are on field shingles then change the shingle.

Never seen a low nail leak.
I see unexposed nails leak all the time…

I would replace the shingles if the home owner requested it. Why ruin your perception of a great job over something trivial. The Roofing manufactures no longer give their shingles a year designation. It was a sales gimmick. 30,40,50, blah blah blah. They all will last 20-25 years. It was very misleading. People still refer to them as such , but legally they can’t be called that.

You paid for the roofer to do a professional job. He should replace the shingles. It doesn’t take much to replace them. Going the extra mile and replacing a few shingles would help create a positive experience for the customer, which translates to future business for the roofer. Good reviews from a customer are like gold!

The homeowner continuing to love you is of most important.
The key is to fix exposed nails before the homeowner sees them…
Along with a host of other things( garage doors, driveways)

I love a low nail roofer over a high nail roofer any day!!!
And if you dont see any low nails???
Than that roofer high nailed the hell out of it.
And thats baddddddd.
The common bond area on an architect is very very small and narrow.
The gun is set to shoot flush through the common bond area( double thickness).
I strive to have zero high nails.
When i see low nails, i i know that roofer strived to hit the common bond area every time.
And im in love.
Its rare i tell you…

I agree with most over here.It is better to have them replace the shingles.

I’d rather have the odd high nail,then low nail.I check my guys work all the time.I tell them your paid by the hour,do it right.You must hit the “double”. Have a low nail,tear off that shingle and go again.A low nail will leak,a couple years,or less,nail starts to rust,loosens up,and theres a leak.Especially here on the “wet” coast of Canada where we get 100-130 inches of rain a year.

First off, there isnt a shingle out there that will last 50 years, its all marketing bullshit, i hope you didnt pay too much for the extended warranty, second, there probably isnt an architectural shingled roof out there that doesnt have a low nail on it. Yeah i know you roofing professionals will say otherwise but i highly doubt it. Also, we just got back from a conference with certain manufacturers and they allow a certain amount of low nails per job. Now how you can determine that x number of low nails is fine but x+1 isnt, i have no idea. The issue is manufacturers are too cheap to make the nailing zone big enough to secure the shingles properly. And like anything, the installers pay the price. We get squeezed from both ends. As for leaking, i dont know where your from but in my part of town, with the underlayments and shingles we use, and the fact that an electro galvanized nail takes like 12 years to start to rust, then god knows how long it takes for the hole to get big enough for the surface tension of water to break enough for there to be a leak. Maybe in 25-30 years you may have a problem, and thats if you dont have caulking on your nails. Caulking probably adds like 8 years to that, and im sorry but there arent many shingles that will last 35 years. Also, you should probably do maintenance on your after the first 10-15 years and every 5-10 years afterwards. Everyone thinks you can just put a roof on and forget about it, a little maintenance can go a long way in the longevity of the roof.

I don’t know guys, in my mind low nails are not acceptable on a finished job. We only nail through the double laminate on all slopes so you end up with plenty of low nails. If the guys don’t rip that shingle off and replace it as they go we give them hell because it ends up costing about 150x the cost of one single if someone has to go back and replace it once the job is completed.

Does the manufacture of your shingles require that as the appropriate repair? I doubt it seriously. They allow for using mastic to seal the holes, however usually you lift the shingle and seal it from underneath so that you don’t have a black mark on your roof. That whole will be inconsequential. In my opinion out of the thousands of nails on your roof if there is several that are exposed, this repair method would be fine. There are several places on your roof or that’s probably necessary to have expose nails that are calked over-the-top, the last piece of ridge put on on any run, the last piece of half ridge put on over any headwall flashing, etc. I don’t think you should sweat it

NThere is no reason for low/exposed nails. If there are low nails there are likely many improperly spaced nails as well due to fast nailing. Slowing down slightly and looking over your work goes a long way. Nails placed low or even close to low that aren’t visible upon install can also show over time due to shingle shrinkage. Also reducing exposure by 1/8" reduces the chance of any partially exposed nails. Small amount of extra material cost but results in a higher quality install on an expensive investment for your customer.