Ex Roofer Researching Roofing Business

Hey guys. so i’m conducting research to better understand the roofing business. I hope i can find some of you willing to help me out with this. if somehow this has been answered throughout the forum please direct me in the right direction. I understand your time is gold, so if you could take the time to answer just one of the questions that helps out a ton. also if you think you can give a bit of your time by talking through Facebook or on a phone call please send me a message i would be really interested.

So here are the questions.

1. what types of customers keep you awake at night staring at the ceiling with your eyes open?

2. what scares you about those customers?

3. What makes you angry? Who do you get angry at?

4. what are you top 3 daily frustrations?

5. what kinds of trends do you see occurring or have occurred & how will they affect or are affecting your business or your life?

6. what do you secretly want or desire the most in your business?

7. Is there a particular way decisions are made in the roofing business?

8. what kind of language does your business use to communicate between the various employee’s in your business?

9. who do you see as competitors & how are they offering their services?

10. have you bought a service that helps you improve your business. was it successful? If not how did that service fail?

*Extra Question. What are common resources roofers use or that you as a business owner use? (ex. books, websites, magazines, conferences, etc.)

Well if you took the time to read that thanks for your help i hope i can get some reply. fell free to send me a direct message. thanks again.

IMO (This is coming from the Insurance Restoration / GC side of things):

1. Funny with the money customers. Doesn’t happen often though as you should be able to catch this kind of customer from the beginning and decide whether or not you want to provide them with your services.

2. Not getting paid in a timely manner.

3. a. Sub-contractors cutting corners. Zero tolerance for this.
    b. Homeowner blatantly taking advantage of the company or productions crews (i.e. Blame us for damaging something that was already damaged and demanding repair). Always document everything before beginning production.

4. Insurance Companies. Green Adjusters. Insurance Companies.

5. Our company is now entirely paperless, literally everything that we do happens on an iPad or within our CRM. Other than that, it varies market to market. I’m hoping Elon Musk is on to something with the ‘new & improved’ solar shingles, these are said to be comparable in price to high-end designer asphalt shingles. We’ll see.

6. Being the absolute best.

7. There is a chain of command, production department, quality control department, sales managers, office managers, supplement managers, etc. - Everything is communicated through our CRM. Other than that, we have manager’s meetings twice a week.

8. English. Just about every aspect of communication regarding projects is done through our CRM, this way everything is always documented, notated, tracked and readily available.

9. Everybody, its the roofing industry. Each company is unique, but the core recipe is the same. Every company does things differently, this also comes down to how much capitol you have, how long you have been in business, what kind of margins do you want to achieve/maintain, etc.

10. Xactimate is a MUST in the storm damage insurance restoration industry. A good, easy to use CRM software for your company to keep everything organized in. If your reps understand and use the CRM properly, that takes away 90% of the day to day stress.

Like I said, this is all my opinion and experience. Hope it helps a little.

Curious to see what everybody else says.

Thanks!

Yes thanks for replying to my questions. Like i said any help is appreciated. Looking forward to what other say as well.

what types of customers keep you awake at night staring at the ceiling with your eyes open?

None. Staying awake at night doesn’t help resolve any issues. The ones that bother me are the ones that we may have not provided 100% perfect product and service.

what scares you about those customers?

Every Customer is one of 3 things. A fan, blase or a hater. If we’ve done something to cause someone to be a hater, that will cost us business as they will go out of their way to tell people how bad we are.

What makes you angry? Who do you get angry at?

Ongoing errors of omission. Ignorance. Complacency. Sloppiness.

what are you top 3 daily frustrations?

People not following our processes. Laziness. Poor communication and follow up.

what kinds of trends do you see occurring or have occurred & how will they affect or are affecting your business or your life?

Insurance business is evolving in a bad way. Too many ignorant and greedy contractors who have near zero understanding of how to properly work insurance business are killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Hispanic roofers are becoming much smarter. That’s who we’ll all be competing with before long.

what do you secretly want or desire the most in your business?

To retire in 5 years and get the hell out of it.

Is there a particular way decisions are made in the roofing business?

In my opinion, the roofing business as a whole is 10 to 20 years behind most industries. A number of really good tradespeople but not necessarily good business people. And the quality of the trades people continues to decline. In general, decisions are poor and are knee jerk or reactive instead of planned and carefully thought out.

what kind of language does your business use to communicate between the various employee’s in your business?

I assume you mean what medium. If not, English. If what medium, we use phone, teleconference, email and texting.

who do you see as competitors & how are they offering their services?

I don’t think much about competitors. I can’t control what they do. I focus on our processes, our plans and how we are performing. Those are some things I have some control over.

have you bought a service that helps you improve your business. was it successful? If not how did that service fail?

RoofSnap combined with RoofSnap works great for measuring and calculating roof takeoffs.

Xactimate works well for estimating insurance jobs. I should say, it works well if you understand how to correctly utilize it.

Spotio, Sales Rabbit and Hail Trace for canvassing apps.

Thank you Authentic_day for your valuable information. Patiently waiting to hear from others in the forum.

You did not mention this in your initial posting & if by chance you have
already tried searching the site then please disregard my post. However, if
you haven’t, & you’re eager to find some additional answers to the
questions you posted, the site offers a search feature that works fairly
well. Meaning, the search engine only looks for the “words” rather than
the sentence within the thread/posts & based on that, you can build your
your searches off the results you get & the knowledge you’re seeking.

For example, I took some parts from the questions you asked & searched the
fourm and listed how many topics/threads that were returned from the
search.

“What is everyones worst experience?” <- had 9 topics associated with the
search.

“What makes you angry? Who do you get angry at?” <- has 38 topics.

" roofing frustrations?" <- returned 5 results

“What service that helps you improve your business?” <- this returned 17
results.

I’m sure you get the idea & can take advantage of what all this site
offers, or until other members are able to answer your questions directly,
perhaps this will prove helpful.

thanks for that i will surely try it once more. Appreciate your feedback on that.

Although you’re are researching the roofing business & your first question
would be in the interest of any & every business owner, keep in mind that
your initial post started over a holiday weekend, responses may appear to
be slow, be patient, there is a lot of great people as well as a wealth of
knowledge here.

I do not want this to sound redundant, but the more creative you can get
with your searches, you can narrow or broaden the answers you’re seeking.

Remember, “this is a public forum, and search engines index these
discussions”, so, you can use your favorite search engine to assist in your
searches, & generally speaking, I would assume this would be how most users
stumbled upon this site to begin with.

@DIYer_67 that is very true. I am searching throughout this forum looking for the information that could possibly answer these & more questions that i may come up with as my research continues on the business side or roofing. Thanks for you suggestions.