Eves or gutters

A while back I asked about slope for eves and was told just put water in it.

Need better info than that, I have decisisions to make and they are based on what is needed.

On a 60 foot run how much slope do you need, 1/2" or 3/4" or more.

I can lay out a few different ways. I still am thinking of going high in the center so 30 feet and then drop to each end but need to put a number on this and can’t find one anywhere.

I did see in the Shingle master manual that an eve is supposed to be 3/4" lower than the top of the roof line and so the eves were way too high on this home orginally.

Would appreciate if anyone knows, have replaced lots of broken boards and the hips and now to lay the facia I can do top boards over it or put them flush which gives me less drop for the eves.

A detailed roofer was supposed to come by yesterday will try him again on monday.

Thanks,

Warren

I’m a little confused about what it is you are asking.

First off, it is “eaves” and not “eves.” Eves are the day before an event, such as Christmas Eve. Eaves in the Architectural Dictionary are defined as:

The lower edge of a sloping roof; that part of a roof of a building which projects beyond the wall.

So, once again, I ask: what are you trying to do? Photos?

Wait a minute, I re-read you post for the 3rd time and now think you may be talking about sloping your gutters. Is that the question?

Hi,

On 60’ go high in the middle. Slope to the corners.

As long as the water flows you have enough.

You need to consider water flow and looks. Their is no calculator for that.

Christmas eve, before we know it it will be here. Do you ever think time is running faster than it did before? Not that we are older and busier just that time has kind of ramped up on us. You know like the dollar can be worth less.

So in Canada we call them eaves, in the states I believe you call them Gutters.

Why I ask is I have only so much to work with on my facia number one. If I mount it one way I gain, if I mount it the way it was I have less drop. This is important and there is a detail profile on the bottom so I lose 3/4 of an inch facias are 6 3/4 wide.

I am entertaining putting the roof board over the facia so it is lower down which gives me more possible drop, I also had entertained this thought that I would like to put the eves on the rear and if so then high front lower to the ends then it also has to travel down the sides of the home around the back corner.

Yes this is getting a bit picky but visually with the downspouts off the home it looks very clean, otherwise I put four on and two are seen on each side, It may be a stupid idea but so far mentioned to a few people and they like the idea if it works.

I get it if water flows that is what you need but someone must be able to put a number on it, is 1/4" over 30 feet useless, that kind of thing, I have 3/4 of a inch to work with before I hit the profile but will double check tha, that is with the high point just under the drip edge.

I was going to post the drip edge info as you guys and Aaron had talked about rake and gutter being different, everyone up here including the dealers all tell me what you use for rake they say are for eves. I gave up asking and planned on asking the roofer who was going to show yesterday…

I understand the concept water does not run up hill unless with capilarry action but there must be some minimum slope for an even to work.

The way they were put on the home orginally they were like a snake so water always sat and they only drained when it hit a certain level, as well
they were too high at least accroding to the drawing I saw in the master manual, will get it out later, after all I am getting older and memory not as sharp as it once was.

Now for my spelling well Cerberus yeah I get busy getting the thoughts down and the execution gets sloppy. Had a lady friend who I have watched over the years and is now head of a very large corporation, her spelling was worse than mine yet she was so good they fired a guy and she did both her job and his, on her off time she did work in nursing homes with old people and also battered woman shelters. She was wealthy, a good mom and just a massive achiever. She could not spell but she moved mountains.

I am guilty always of gettting thoughts out in a coarse sort of way, not using the right terms and of course a few spelling errors here and there, just always seem to be on the fly which does not help.

Will take a chunk of eve today and knock it off level and see how it performs. I got my 5/12 pitch thing answered without having to call Kreskin so maybe if there is a drop amount per running foot it will appear, they have it for plumbing and other things so.

Thanks,

Sawdust

[quote=“Warren”]A while back I asked about slope for eves and was told just put water in it.

Need better info than that, I have decisisions to make and they are based on what is needed.

On a 60 foot run how much slope do you need, 1/2" or 3/4" or more. /quote]

Well, again, I’m just a layman but after doing a web search, there appears to be agreement that the minimum slope for a gutter is 1/16 inch per foot of run. Here’s a site :

greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/ … uide3.html

Here’s an excerpt – the info about using a cistern may or may not be of interest to you:

"3.2 Conveyance Subsystem

Gutters are used to convey water from the roof to pipes to the cistern.

If a straight run of gutter exceeds 60 feet, use an expansion joint.

Keep the front of the gutter one half inch lower than the back.

Provide a gutter slope of 1/16 inch per foot minimum.

Provide gutter hangars at 3 feet O.C.(on center).

Gutter should be a minimum of 26 gauge galvanized steel or 0.025 inch aluminum.

Downspouts should provide 1 square inch of downspout opening for every 100 square feet of roof area.

The maximum run of gutter for one downspout is 50 feet.

The conveyance piping from the gutter system to the cistern or filter should be Schedule 40 PVC or comparable in a 4 inch diameter. Do not exceed 45 degree angle bends in horizontal pipe runs and provide 1/4 inch slope per foot minimum. Use one or two-way cleanouts in any horizontal pipe run exceeding 100 feet. "[/quote]

Hi,

I put more value in practical experience.

Sometimes we go to a larger downspout. This will remove the water faster.

That is a scary amount cause on 30 feet that would be about two inches, not a chance for that and it would look lousy as well.

I will try and find a few of these guys tomorrow and go over it just redoing the hip boards now they were too high though in a straight line still too high.

A friend said try to use 3 x 3 instead of 2 x 3 downspouts, not just for flow but said if leaves get in more chance they get out and there are tons of trees here, still will research gutter guard later but am used to taking care of it manually.

Warren

Cerberus, I should post photos but it took me too long at first to get through it and one of you guys helped as well, if it could just be inserted like you do with an e-mail would do that but maybe when there is a bit more time

Hi,

If there is no pitch to the gutter the water will still flow out.

As long as the outlets are not higher then the rest of the gutter.

Find the middle, and slope both ways to the downspouts. Use a string line level if you need to ensure you have slope. Lap the gutters so they shed water. If you use gutter seal, as opposed to say soldering copper gutters, make sure you don’t glob up the gutter seal so it impedes drainage.