EPDM Roofer vs Inspector Issues

On Oct 23 I posted a question about my EPDM roof issues and received some great advice. I had an inspector come out and take a look and he determined there were several problems with my installation and subsequent repairs. I sent a copy of the report to my roofer and he contested basically 3 things. I don’t know who to believe. In short, here are the issues:

1. Is 1/2" high density insulation board the industry standard for residential applications and ISO board for commercial?
  2. Is uncured flashing tape appropriate for edges, splices in the middle of the roof, and top the ridge of the house? My understanding is uncured is for flashings at roof penetrations.
  3. Contract says .060 mil to was to be applied. The repair (about 50% of the house) used .045 mil because supplier was out of .060. Roofer says .060 mil is designed as a commercial application because of HVAC guys dropping stuff. He adds residential grade .045 mil carries same warranty. If I read Mulehide’s literature correctly, I don’t think that’s the case. What is the industry standard for residential applications?

Thank you…signed, frustrated in WI

I am curious as to what those particular questions have to do with the engineers report? I am assuming that you have bought an .065 Rubber roof over 1/2 inch recovery board,
fully adhered after installation of recovery board over a scratched T&G roof? PolyISO is appropriate for both residential and commercial, and as some might make the case for 1/2 inch recovery board over T&G on a commercial job. I would have to see manufacturers specs before making decisions about flashing details, as well as splicing, edge metal etc. To just assume that the original roof is still as flat as when it was built, and is pitched the same direction as when it was originally installed, with taking into consideration roof settling, structural changes, etc, without
knowledgeable advice and direction is a recipe for disaster. Of course, a simple rectangle, with edge metal and minimal penetrations is of less technical concern than a multi leveled structure, with numerous additions and changes and drainage issues.
Drainage water issues are as of equal or more importance than just letting it drip off the building, and letting the siding and landscapers deal with it from there.

Sorry about probably not giving as much info as needed. My house is not a traditional “flat” roof house. It is a low slope wood-framed roof where one side is approx 2-12 pitch and the other is approx 3-12 pitch making it, from what I’m told, a poor roof for shingles. The original problem with the installation was way too many bubbles and the roofer eventually admitted the wrong glue was used. So, he tried to fix the problem and may have made it worse. Thanks again

who inspected this roof ? a manufacturers rep? or someone you hired?

A structural engineer who does this for a living did the inspection. He also brought with him a roofer who does rubber roofs in the area. I figure he was giving me an unbiased report as it didn’t matter to him if he found fault in my roofer’s job or if he found out things were acceptable. Thanks for your help.

1. No 1/2" HD is a cheap alternative to ISO commercial or residential. It works but any moisture ruins it.
  2. Uncured is for flashings,tjoints and stripping in seams. It can be used for many details but only when supported by cured epdm under it. Another words not for cuts or where the epdm runs short.
    3.060 and 045 are used on commercial and residential roofs. Its all about cost. Until you start wanting a 20+ year warranty it doesn’t matter. Of course 060 is better than 045.