Enviroshakes - any feedback?

I got my first re-roofing quote for my 30 yr old cedar shake roof. This contractor quotes me #1 med cedar shakes at low $40’s and synthetic enviroshakes in the upper $40’s. (10% winter discount if I sign up before June 1 but he’ll extend it a few weeks until I decide.)

He claims the Enviroshakes weather to look like cedar and last >50 yrs with little to no maint. He also claims that new med. cedar shakes are running on the low side of medium thickness and he’s seen them last only 15 yrs. vs. the 30-50 yrs life of the old ones.

I have a list of about 10 homes he’s done with Enviroshakes and I plan to look at them first hand.

I did a search and came up with nothing. Has anyone heard of Enviroshakes? What are the pros and cons other then cost?

TIA!!

P.S. His crew has had a lot of experience with them so I guess that’s a positive.

I recently done my first Enviroshake job.They are installed the same as cedar.You can read a bit about them at www.Enviroshake.com This is the job I did.
http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6482/img_1211335141.jpg

John,
Nice looking job! In your opinion do they look like real cedar shakes after installation and a little weathering?

I really want to avoid a “plastic” look.

I do plan to check out local properties that have had them installed. I’m just trying to get as much input as possible because it’s quite an investment.

Thanks for the image.

Yeah they do look alot like cedar shakes,we tore off cedar,finished one section and looked at the old sections and couldn’t really tell we done anything.They are supposed to silver a bit like shakes in a year or two.I would suggest going by a couple of jobs that are a couple of years old to see the aging process.They also have zinc in the shakes to prevent algaes,etc.They are not for the faint of heart though at nearly $400 per sq(just for the shakes)take care-John

I’m glad you asked about this as we are considering Enviroshakes for our residential reroof. I may be required to use Class A but if not I will investigate more.

I did not realize they were so expensive though. At that price, you may as well use the real thing, don’t you think?

So far all the roofers I’ve talked to claim that Cedar Shake quality just isn’t like it used to be since you can no longer get old growth/close grain Cedar. They claim they’re having to re-roof in as little as 15 years. I want 30 yrs so I never have to worry about it again.

Maybe they’re exagurating because they’d rather upsell me fake shakes but it’s causing me to think twice.

I also considered Enviroshakes when replacing my roof last summer. However , the cost was simply too much. I chose a 50 yr. product offered by Certainteed ( Presidential TL ) and have never looked back. They look better than cedar shakes because they are so darn thick ! I’ve had a few people actually come to the door asking what brand they are and who installed them. In my opinion , these shingles look fantastic and incorporate a true “shake” appearance. I can’t say enough good things about this product. Color me happy !!!

As a matter of fact a contractor came over last night to prepare a quote and showed my a sample board of Presidential TLs. I must admit that they looked good but I can’t say they pass as a shake “look a like”. However as long as they look good who cares.

I really need to see actual homes with Enviroshakes and Presidential TL’s. I plan to do some drive byes this weekend.

This second contractor also pitched Davinci fake shakes but claimed he only installed them once before vs. 100’s of Presidential TL installations.

Update. I took a look at some real roofs this afternoon. (both Enviroshake and Presidential TL).

I did not like the Enviroshakes. They look like silvery plastic and almost too perfect to be a shake look-a -like. However across the street a house had Presidential TL.

I must admit that the Presidential TL’s looked really sharp. They’re obviously not even close to being a shake look-a-like but it doesn’t matter. They looked really good with the texture and shadow lines.

I’m going to have to ask my bidders to give me a quote. Hopefully they’ll come in under Cedar and Enviroshakes in price.

[quote=“davefr”]
So far all the roofers I’ve talked to claim that Cedar Shake quality just isn’t like it used to be since you can no longer get old growth/close grain Cedar. They claim they’re having to re-roof in as little as 15 years. I want 30 yrs so I never have to worry about it again. [/quote]

Yes, I’m gathering this is the case.

I have requested an Enviroshake to look at, and am also considering clay (such as Claymax or Proshake Plus)

ECOSHAKE AND ENVIROSHAKE both look fairly fake. Its an upsell because of the “green” movement our country is interested in currently. Material cost is very competitive with real shakes (although it should be cheaper).

I just finished up a 110sq cedar shake job. The customer requested heavy treated shakes. We also used cedar breather.

The previous roof was medium, untreated shakes and it only lasted 15 years…

GAF/Elk Grand Canyon are similar to Ctd Presidential TL.