Economy affecting business?

This year has been ok for us as far as work, but we have surely noticed that business isnt as great this year. Im certain that the economy has affected the industry.

Any thoughts on this?

Im located in Western Oregon.

this is our best year ever 8)

Each year has seen about a $50K increase since 2005. Think this will be hands down my best year yet.

Have yet to get as hot and heavy as last Fall and early Summer but suspect that is yet to come.

I have seen a slow start this year,and more people are concerned w/quality than price though… I believe that when money is tight people will be more apt to spend a little more to have peace of mind,than to try to save a dime today to possibly pay a dollar tomorrow. I gave quite a few estimates where people had no money to do the work needed,but I have run into alot of that in the past…Some people are dreamers…I am getting a roof before I finish 1,but by this time last year I had 35-40 in the bank,and was telling people that I could not even come to measure it. I had 15 people (referrals) say that they would call me in the spring,and never heard from them again…

Last year lost out on a lot of roofs because I couldn’t give them estimates in time.

This year trying to do more selective harvesting by going to, selling, and doing the “right” roofs. By that I mean large roofs with insurance claims rather than small roofs with no insurance claims.

[quote=“dougger222”]Last year lost out on a lot of roofs because I couldn’t give them estimates in time.

This year trying to do more selective harvesting by going to, selling, and doing the “right” roofs. By that I mean large roofs with insurance claims rather than small roofs with no insurance claims.[/quote]

The story of my working life…

It has been the same ol same ol here, we are working every day.
A lot less new builds.

That is not for me ,I am not getting the big ones. I am getting the small ones w/ a nice price,that makes it worth doing…smaller the roof,the higher per sq.
Most people are able to afford 3500-6500 roofs without to much thinking…So I target the small homes,12-20 sq. did 1 recently,17sq. shingles,and 6 sq. Torch down. 9500.00, That beats the 33sq. I did for 11,000.00 I did the 9400.00 10/12 in 4 days alone…2 layers on flat…

going great here in tampa, fl. we have about 1.3mil. worth of contracts which is about 2 1/2 months out.

[quote="-Axiom-"]

This year trying to do more selective harvesting by going to, selling, and doing the “right” roofs. By that I mean large roofs with insurance claims rather than small roofs with no insurance claims.

The story of my working life…

It has been the same ol same ol here, we are working every day.
A lot less new builds.[/quote]

Did a new roof on Wednesday, first one for that builder in a year in a half. Not many years ago he pumped out 25 roofs a year. My other builder built two houses in the past year. At one time they built 50 a year. Got a small builder who’s built five in the past year in a half and has three more huge houses ready to frame. Even though the pay is about 1/3 on the new compared to insurance still want to do the new stuff in case the insurance work ever dries up, which it won’t.

Things are a little slow out here in Denver, CO but really nothing that has killed my business. I am trying to get with a developer you should do the same. Consider giving a slight price break for a partnership, they will love that and it will ensure your schedule to be full.