Duro-Last (Friend or Foe?)

Hello All,

I recently went through Duro last training and learned all about the new PVC. Post class, I’ve decided its not user friendly and heavily proprietary. Anyone have love for it, and why?

Hi,

What do you mean not user friendly?

as far as new.ive been installing pvc roof since the late 70’s. if you mean not user friendly because it requires a skill level higher than shingles well then …stay with shingles

caseycolvin,

Is this a proper installation of DuroLast.

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/9463-2/Duro-last-flat.jpg

Looks like it’s not “roof friendly”. :smiley:

Was that before or after the class you attended?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

What do you mean not user friendly?[/quote]

I mean everything has to be made by Durolast. That concerns me for cost issues and for extra materials issues. Again, every flashing detail has only one right way, where on most other systems, TPO, EPDM, there are multiple ways to meet spec.

By new, I mean the Durolast shingle print, which has only been out for a year. As for user friendly, see previous comment.

[quote=“dennis”]caseycolvin,

Is this a proper installation of DuroLast.

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/9463-2/Duro-last-flat.jpg

Looks like it’s not “roof friendly”. :D[/quote]

What is that white patch? TPO or PVC?

Hi,

What you say is not user friendly is the most user friendly thing they have. What it would cost you to make those in the field is cheaper to buy them premade from Duro-Last.

Cooley made the shingle pattern for years.

casey,

Not sure. Wasn’t there to look at the flat roof. You should see the Karnak repair on the other side. :smiley:

Just commenting on the superior wall and stack detailing.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

What you say is not user friendly is the most user friendly thing they have. What it would cost you to make those in the field is cheaper to buy them premade from Duro-Last.

Cooley made the shingle pattern for years.[/quote]

Great to hear. I don’t care for it. I like making the details the way I want. Again, I mean shingle pattern specific to Duro Last.

making the details your way will probably void the warranty

Depending, in regards to Duro last absolutely. They did have specifics you could match, but your right, my way doesn’t work for them in many cases.

Hi,

What detail would you rather make yourself?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

What detail would you rather make yourself?[/quote]

Primarily the curb flashings. I will say the drains they make are outstanding. I also like their closed pipe wraps.

Hi,

I like the curbs. They save a ton of time.

You think you could make a curb faster and better?

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

I like the curbs. They save a ton of time.

You think you could make a curb faster and better?[/quote]

Surely not faster. But I like to customize the detail underneat AC units and such. It just makes me feel better knowing the wrap is just the way I want it. No doubt, they have a quicker one. Just the control aspect of me I guess.

I installed over a thosand roofs using Duro-Last, when I was doing new construction.

Proprietary accessories, but those are priced fairly compared to other accessories in the market.

The pre-fab membrane cost is too high, but I always made it work out in my quotes.

I do not like the fact that after i acquired a GC and turned them into DL faithfulls, that the DL rep would drop at least 2-3 other contractors names to them, to add to my competition.

Reps and their QC are my biggest beefs.

I sure hope the QC inspector failed that curb application. It may have been an unwarranted, materials only, residential application, or one that did not qualify for a warranty in the first place.

Pre-fab curbs are great, if you have the correct measurements, which for new construction, that was a duck shoot, hit or miss. So, I usually oversized them and sliced them in the center for a minor vertical seam to weld, to shrink them down to the correct size.

Ed

Ed,

You are nuts on about them dropping names they do it to some of there biggest contractors also.Have been doing duro-last for 18yrs they still pull this crap all the time.They have approached me time and again about being a installer i just laugh.Ok product over sold and they get alot of young guys to be installers new to the biz.And as far as the pics typical of a installer who does not care or go by spec but in the same breath that must be a old roof.[OR AT LEAST I HOPE IT IS.]

[quote=“ed the roofer”]I installed over a thosand roofs using Duro-Last, when I was doing new construction.

Proprietary accessories, but those are priced fairly compared to other accessories in the market.

The pre-fab membrane cost is too high, but I always made it work out in my quotes.

I do not like the fact that after i acquired a GC and turned them into DL faithfulls, that the DL rep would drop at least 2-3 other contractors names to them, to add to my competition.

Reps and their QC are my biggest beefs.

I sure hope the QC inspector failed that curb application. It may have been an unwarranted, materials only, residential application, or one that did not qualify for a warranty in the first place.

Pre-fab curbs are great, if you have the correct measurements, which for new construction, that was a duck shoot, hit or miss. So, I usually oversized them and sliced them in the center for a minor vertical seam to weld, to shrink them down to the correct size.

Ed[/quote]

Very nice, I’m sorry to hear about the rep dropping competitors names, I had never heard of that. As for QC I haven’t had many problems on that end either. The inspector did not fail my curb, I had actually previously contacted him to double check the specs they needed. He did spend some time prodding it, but ultimately complimented me on the welds.