Duralast roof

We are considering renewing our lflat roof with a Duralast membrane system. We are in the Houston TX area (humid, hot, not much snow). What is the reputation of this type of roof ? Are there any special issues to watch out for ? Anything related to our kind of location ?

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

I will have to get back to you on this after I get off of work. Don’t have the time right now, but I too live in Houston so I can give you good information to work with. In the meantime, who is the contractor you are looking at having do the work?

We are talking with a well recommended contractor in the area who is certified to install Duro-Last. We would like to find out anything about people’s experience with these roofs.

Your questions:

1. What is the reputation of this type of roof ?

2. Are there any special issues to watch out for ?

3. Anything related to our kind of location ?

My answers:

1. Not bad for a single-ply. If done correctly you should get 10 - 12 years of service out of this roof, but that also depends on many factors.

2. Yes. You are having a single-ply roof installed, and they are not a very forgiving type of roof. Poorly sealed laps, heavy foot traffic, falling branches, cigarettes, etc., can easily damage this roof. Of course, the biggest issue will be the installer and the quality of work performed.

3. Yes. The sun and heat in Houston will take a toll on the roof membrane over time.

Now lets take a look at my question to you:

1. In the meantime, who is the contractor you are looking at having do the work?

And your answer to me:

1. A well recommended contractor in the area who is certified to install Duro-Last.

So tell me, why do you ask questions expecting answers when you won’t give a straight answer yourself? All you had to say was Marton Roofing, Walton Roofing, Liquatech, Competition, Pyramid, Live Oak, Carlson, Restoration Services, Gulf Star, Five Star, Rose Roofing, etc… I was just curious. As you can see in my signature I am a consultant and not a contractor, so I’m not trying to steal the job away. In reality, being that your property is residential I seriously doubt I know the contractor, but had it been someone like Capt. Job Roofing (went out of business several years ago, so I will use them as an example), then I would be able to recommend better roofing contractors. However, if you want to keep your contractor a secret, then by all means go for it.

The most important thing to know is that it comes down to the workmen on the job not the company itself. You could have the world’s greatest roofer, Joe, who works for XYZ Co. install your neighbor’s house, but if XYZ sends Sam and his crew out to do your house you may not get such a great roof. Also, you should be aware that much of the roofing work in Houston is performed by sub-crews.

Anyway, all I’m trying to say is the more information you provide me the better I will be able to help you. My advice is free in here, but I may also ask you to do some leg work and climb up on the roof and take some photos. In fact, if you do that and post some overviews of your roof, I could probably tell you if you should even be looking at a single-ply versus a tougher more dependable mod. bit. or built-up roof system. And under no circumstances should you let anyone talk you into using coal-tar pitch on your roof in Houston.

Hi,

Anyone who installs a Duro-Last roof is certified. Duro-Last is only sold directly to the contractor. If you are not certified you can not buy it.

That does not mean the contractor is any good. How long is he installing Duro-Last, that is the question.

I have some down 10 years. No problems so far.

Thats a good point lefty.

[size=18]Ask the durolast inspector which one of his contractor’s he calls when he needs a warranty repair performed on a roof installed by others. That will then tell you who his best contractor is,[/size] and then find out what foreman services and installs his roofs. Now you have your roof installed by the best contractor and crew. We install roofs from many manu. including durolast. However there are several crews. Are crews recieve bonuses based off of there spec score from the manu. rep(inspector) though all crews are good this bonus usually goes to the same crew month after month

they should call this site , cerberus.com

gweedo.

Hi Frank,

It will go to the company who gives them the best price. You can not pay the bills doing their waranty work.

Cerb,

What the _____. I think you went off the deepend. Who cares who the contractor is?

[quote=“sanroof”]Cerb,

What the _____. I think you went off the deepend. Who cares who the contractor is?[/quote]

What? You don’t think it matters who the contractor is that does the roofing work? Is that what you tell people who get lower bids from lesser contractor’s than yourself? Point is, I am in Houston and as a consultant work with dozens of contractors. If by chance the particular contractor is notoriously bad, then I would say something; however, there is no guaranty that I would even know the contractor, because if they are doing residential work they are probably smaller than the ones I work with.

FWIW, I happen to think the contractor has EVERYTHING in the world to do with the quality of work you can expect. Afterall, every contractor that buys Duro-last is getting the same material, so the only thing separating them is the quality of work and the price.

Well take no offence but:

[quote]Afterall, every contractor that buys Duro-last is getting the same material, so the only thing separating them is the quality of work and the price.

[/quote]

Thats not just with durolast. Thats with any materal. Maybe im wrong who knows.

Thats not just with durolast. Thats with any materal. Maybe im wrong who knows.

My point exactly. I have someone blasting me because I wonder who the contractor is that bid the work, as if the contractor was irrelevent. In my opinion, the contractor can be the most important choice that has to be made.

I agree with that but for some reason very few people will tell you that over the net for some reason. Hey i get blasted by people that have no clue what there talking about. So i know the feeling.

im not a contractor, and i can get ya a good deal on some durolast .
how many truckloads ya want.
mans this is 06,
better ask somebody.

gweedo.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi Frank,

It will go to the company who gives them the best price. You can not pay the bills doing their waranty work.[/quote]

good theory however duro last warranties that roof right. so if they allow the lowest bidder to fix it isn’t that just asking for more problems on already problemed roof. put yourself in durolast rep’s shoes. company xyz installs your product on someones roof. you warranty if for five - ten years. it leaks while under warranty now u durolast have to fix it on your dollar. now do u let the lowest bidder fix your problems or do let the contractor in your area who does the best job? In my area if the rep doesn’t fix it him self he will call us. We charge $64.00 per man hour on repairs portal to portal. WE ARE NOT THE LOW BIDDER

64 an hour may be the low bidder.

GAF did the same thing…send the warranty work to the lowest bidding GAF contractor…I did not get their repair work.

[quote=“AaronB.”]64 an hour may be the low bidder.

GAF did the same thing…send the warranty work to the lowest bidding GAF contractor…I did not get their repair work.[/quote]

You really think in todays market that $64.00 per hour per man is low bidder? Well, not where I do business, at there several compasnies that do repairs in prices around $40ish per hour. Not to mention Durolast is used on alot of new construction application’s which goes to the low bidder. when we started doing Durolast’s repairs we didn’t even bid the work. We had been durolast contractor at that time for about 2 1/2years and were doing alot of durolast. We usually had at least one durolast job going on during our busy season. Anyways my point was just that the reps usually use a good contractor to do thier warranty work because not only are they taking responsibility for the roof but also the fact that the issue(s) are resolved the first time.

I’ve tried to explain the pricing variations in different regions once before, and I was laughed at. I gave someone a price based on Houston rates, and those in the northern U.S. thought I was some kind of idiot. They don’t realize that in Houston you can get rates for foremen at around $40-60 per hour, and labor rates anywhere from $30/hour and up.

The contractor we have been talking with is Brinkman. As many replies make the point, one needs to know something about the contractor’s record with the roofing method. Is Brinkman well regarded ? Also, after searching the internet for some time now, we haven’t found really anything about what the long term experience of the customer has been. Most webpages repeat the manufacturers literature or provide a success story as part of an applier’s web literature - nothing from the people that have to live with it after it’s on.

Thanks!