Drip edge Venting Was removed, now what?

My home had a new roof installed a few years before I purchased it. The roofer removed the drip edge vent and covered the vent slots with tar paper/ roofing felt. I do have ridge vents as well as 3 pot vents. Since I do not wish to have the hassle and expense of removing shingles and the existing drip edge is my only option installing soffit vents. If so, which product is the most esthetically pleasing.

What did your contract state that the roofing contractor was going to do regarding the existing Intake Ventilation, specifically the existing drip edge vents?

So now he eliminated all of your Intake Venting?

Ed

I did not own the home at the time.

I have dealt with the roofer because they did the house next door last summer. I over heard his crew mention they did my house a few years ago and inquire when it was done. It was done about 3 years before I purchased it, I have been there 4 years. So the attic has not had inlet venting for 7 years now.

so, he removed your drip edge vent?..
were/ are there gutters?
he added can vents…were there cans before
he installed ridge vents…were they there before?
are there gable vents?..

where are you located?
Are you having excessive heat build up or
frost /condensation build up in the winter?

pictures?

We remove vented drip edge all the time because it is an achilles heel when it comes to ice dam leaks. They are OK if you do not have any gutters. They should have put in soffitt vents though.

yes, assuming there’s an overhang.

[quote=“nickp”]

I do have ridge vents as well as 3 pot vents. Since I do not wish to have the hassle and expense of removing shingles and the existing drip edge is my only option installing soffit vents. If so, which product is the most esthetically pleasing? [/quote]

Standard soffit venting did not sound like a feasible option.

Your previous home owners roofer screwed up by having regular static air mushroom vents plus the ridge vent.

Smart Vent by DCI Products, Inc., and The Edge by Air Vent Corp. are both shingle over style Intake Ventilation Systems, designed to be used when there is no easy solution for soffit venting, but they would require the removal and re-installation of the bottom 3 rows minimum of shingles for those products to be installed and for the Intake Vent Slot to be cut in.

Ed

[quote=“thebaycompany”]so, he removed your drip edge vent?..
were/ are there gutters?
he added can vents…were there cans before
he installed ridge vents…were they there before?
are there gable vents?..

where are you located?
Are you having excessive heat build up or
frost /condensation build up in the winter?

pictures?[/quote]

I live in Massachusetts.
There is condensation in the winter, and the 2nd floor is difficult to cool in the summer.
I am unsure of what was there before the existing 7 year old roof.
It currently has a ridge vent. By can vents I meant those hood scoop looking things at the top of the roof (sorry if my terminology was incorrect) There is no gable, I have a hip style roof. The gutters are on the face board.
There is currently no inlet venting at all. I began to install soffit vent, but I do not like the look, but I am afraid it is my cheapest/ easiest option at this point.