Drip edge ventilation or vented soffits?

My house has aluminum finished overhangs. The front of the house is the only where we think we have some vented soffits. The other parts of the house have soffits or eaves that are finished in aluminum siding. Three major roofing company’s recommended vented soffits. One roofing company says it would be a long and expensive process to take apart my current soffits and install vents so they recommend drip edge ventilation by AirVent. Only one roofer has recommended this approach. How difficult is it to install vented soffits? Will it be a mistake if I decide to go with the drip edge vents instead of working with my soffits? Thanks.

Well on 1 hand you will spend a great deal of money redoing the soffits. It is not easy or a do it yourself project since you have to remove gutters and fascia aluminum. Drip vent is large, cuts the gutters ability to catch water in half with its 2 to 2 1/2 overhang into the gutter. It really depends on how much money you want to spend and how nice you want it to look. Replacing the soffits will look better. But be more expensive.

also look into “smartvent” by DCI.

Here is what we use.

everflovent.com/pro_inhaler.html

It is the only drip edge/eave vent I would recommend using anyplace where you have a chance of snow. The problem with other vents is that they have their openings on the roof edge right above the gutter. This can cause two problems:

1. Ice and snow will sit in the gutter and on the eave area in the winter, effectively blocking the intake area.

2. The same vent area that is open to allow air flow is now a passage for possible ice and water infiltration. Ice and water will actually back itself up a roof as the ice freezes at night and then melts in the day time.

The Ever-Flo Inhaler is a product we have found after many years of trial and error. As you can see by the cut away illustration the gutter sits over the vent hiding it from view and the intake baffle is located under the gutter where no ice or water will ever enter or clog it. It works all season without fail.

If for some reason you must have soffit vent… use “pop” vents. They are just round aluminum vents you “pop” into holes quickly cut by a hole saw. I think they are ugly, but it’s an option.

Two roofers are charging me about the same to install vented soffits. I don’t understand why the other roofer thinks its so much work. The vented soffits roughly equal the cost of the drip edge vent quotes. Yet, the drip edge vent roofer insists that it would be a lot of work to vent my soffits. Why the big difference in opinion from two roofing companies? Two roofers seem to think its no big deal while the other two roofers think it will cost a lot of money.
Any ideas on this? thank you.

HI,
From my expercience I like the vented drip edge. Not to take away from the vented soffit though. As it also works. We use vented drip edge to prevent ice dams and ice back up and it works period. Call some local companies and interview them over the phone on what they can do for you if they seem knowledgable have them meet you at your house and give you an estimate. What area are you in maybe one of members here can help you?

I only use a drip edge vent if venting the soffit is not feasible.

Put a screw driver between you fascia, pull the a piece of soffit out, cut the hole as big as you can, install a baffle to create an air space, slide back a piece of perforated soffit. No need to remove eavestrough.
Mind you sometime it might be a little tuff.

I have been using the Smart Vent for about 5 years now. Tentatively at first, but now I am fully satisfied with its performance and lack of theorized problems.

No problems have occurred whatsoever.

I was just at Air Vents seminar yesterday, and I do NOT like the details of what I have seen of their new shingle over intake vent, called, “TheEdge Intake Vent”.

Plus, they recomment an additional strip of 6" wide Ice and Water Shield under the top portion of the vent, prior to installing it.

I will stick with what is working for me.

Ed

Add a few pieces of vented soffit. This is by far the easiest way.

It shouldn’t cost THAT much to do this.

vented drip should be last resort. its so big that with most gutters the rain flows right past the gutters.

[quote=“kingwilliam”]Add a few pieces of vented soffit. This is by far the easiest way.

It shouldn’t cost THAT much to do this.[/quote]

Vented, either the perforated or the lanced varieties rarely provide the actual NFVA either stated or required.

They tend to first off, not have the hole in the wooden soffit cut out to the proper size to allow them to function as required.

Secondly, the potential for internal attic dust and debris accumulation is too frequesnt of a typical scenario.

Also, since the roof is being considered to be done at this same time, the least obtrusive product to create the proper Fresh Air Intake, would be a shingle over style intake vent, such as the Smart Vent I mentioned previously.

I currently install that product on at least 50% of the roofs that we install, whereby no other contractors even address the Intake Ventilation issue. At least in the OP’s situation, the contractors had the forsight to offer various solutions.

Ed

I’m curious about your experience with the DCI Smartvent, Ed. I’ve looked at the design and was always worried about 2 things:

1. Ice damming. Water backing up into the vented area and getting into the house.

2. The vented area also sits right above the gutter line. Doesn’t this block all air intake if there is snow/ice on the roof edge?

We’ve been using The Inhaler by Ever-Flo for years now without a problem but it’s always good to have options because as we all know every job is unique.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]I’m curious about your experience with the DCI Smartvent, Ed. I’ve looked at the design and was always worried about 2 things:

1. Ice damming. Water backing up into the vented area and getting into the house.

2. The vented area also sits right above the gutter line. Doesn’t this block all air intake if there is snow/ice on the roof edge?

We’ve been using The Inhaler by Ever-Flo for years now without a problem but it’s always good to have options because as we all know every job is unique.[/quote]

Here you go Tar,

I have some photos posted in a forum I created. They will all be in thumbnail but can be enlarged.

If pictures do not show up, you may have to register, but I don’t think I have the security settings set that way.

It would be better to enlarge the photos of the older, circa 1920 home, which you can clearly see the icicles hanging down from the shingles but not affecting the grey fabric at the bottom edge of the Smart Vent.

rightwayroofing.freeforums.org/s … on-t9.html

Feel free to check out the several other job photos I had set up on different threads too. I primarily put that forum together to deal with an insurance adjuster who was not making any contact with me throughout a substantial rebuild job. that one is the Alvarado Job, but warning, there is about 250 photos in that post.

Ed

I can see the small pics but the enlarge feature does not work for me.

I just checked and it worked for me.

Here is one photo, the immediate day after a 14" snowfall. The grey fabric is the bottom edge of the Smart Vent.

Ed

edit:
I tried a copy/paste of the enlarged photo, but it did not work. Sorry. Try again if you are so inclined.