Do you guys use metric starters with metric laminates

I haven’t seen any 3 tab metric in my area and the starter course rolls that the manufacturer sells for my shingle are standard size. I have seen one company flip the metric laminates, but I heard that you aren’t suppose to do that. You are either suppose to buy 3 tabs and cut them or buy the starter rolls. You would lose about 5/8" coverage, since your first course will be 5/8" to 1/2" higher then a standard shingle.

I am not sure I understand the question… are they saying that if you don’t use the “right” starter that your sticky line is too high?

I don’t care what product you use; so long as you are using “true” starter or a 3 Tab with tabs cut off, you cut a few inches off one end to prevent lining up with the butt end of your first course & it’s all good (oh, & nail within 1-1/2" of the eave edge).

its not the hight thats the problem . at some point in the run the starter and shingle ends will line up because of the different lengths. to keep the 6 inch stagger consistent the shingles must be the same otherwise one will catch up. if you cut 6 inches off you starter and the shingles are 3 inches bigger the difference is made up in 2 shingles. just use the same shingles as starter orinstall your starter as you go adjusing as nessary

It doesn’t matter, as long as your seams don’t line up with your first course of shingle. You will have to lay your first row of shingles as you lay the starters in to make sure they don’t. You will spend extra time cutting back your starters from time to time to make sure the seams are 6-8" off the seams of your first course. With starters made for that size shingle it is faster because they will never match seams if the first shingles are laid right.

I understand now. I was thinking it was the height of the starter.

Ranchhand What do you mean nail 1 1/2 in from the eve? My first nails hit at 6 1/8in up from the eve on the nail line of the first coarse. I used a starter roll, so I do not have any nails in it at all. It has an adhesive back.

Your supposed to nail it down. The starter that is. That what helps blow offs at the eave along with other things.

The OC starter roll is super thin. I doubt it has that much tensile strength. It says on the instructions to nail on the top portion but it did not recommend it. I should have just bought some 3 tabs to cut.

the web sights have installation instructions and explanations. they also tell you how much to cut off universal starter to use it for metric. i think its 5 inches

you nail down the starter strip or shingle, adhesive side up. the adhesive goes closest to the eve. the nails at the edge of the starter strip close to the eve hold it down. the first row of shingles sicks to this to prevent wind up lift. thats how it works.

[quote=“Hoss”]the web sights have installation instructions and explanations. they also tell you how much to cut off universal starter to use it for metric. i think its 5 inches

you nail down the starter strip or shingle, adhesive side up. the adhesive goes closest to the eve. the nails at the edge of the starter strip close to the eve hold it down. the first row of shingles sicks to this to prevent wind up lift. thats how it works.[/quote]

When I said adhesive for the starter roll, I meant there is a peel and stick seal. Kind of like how ice and water is applied. I don’t think the bond is anywhere close to Grace ice and water adhesion. There is also a tar adhesive strip on the top of the roll.

wow!! they just go all these new fangled things.
never used self adhisve starter. we are going to be peel and sticking everything soon i guess.

[quote=“Hoss”]wow!! they just go all these new fangled things.
never used self adhisve starter. we are going to be peel and sticking everything soon i guess.[/quote]

been around quite a while now…way too expensive if you are putting out high numbers. GAF makes a universal starter that you just rip in half and it is almost the same cost as 3 tabs with the same coverage, with no cutting or putting half the weight of the shingle in your dump costs.

My father said last year he had a home owner who had some of that stuff. The material was returned were home owners buy materials and metric starter shingles were purchased.

I wonder how often a home owner buys what a woker at Lowes or Home Depot says is best?