Do you guys run your ridge vents all the way?

Do you guys run your ridge vents all the way to the end? I noticed a lot of people don’t. I don’t know if the roofer just didn’t have enough ridge vent and just spaced them out or is it done intentionally. I am using OC ventsure. It is kind of a corrugated plastic rolled ridge vent. I know you aren’t supposed to cut the hole all the way to the end. I was also wondering if you guys cut one continuous strip at the ridge. I wasn’t sure if this was a structural issue. On the ventsure package, it says to space the cuts if you are cutting into a hip. I guess you can apply ridge vents on the top 1/3 section of a hip.

I start my vent approx 2" in from the gable end so that it looks like a continuous piece.

Always run it from end to end. It throws off the ridge line otherwise and makes the whole job looks foolish.

ditto

2nd that motion

I am also using a double ply high hip and ridge shingle. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that a double ply hip and ridge plus a ridge vent just sticks out too much. I can go buy some 3 tabs and make it a little less noticeable.

Hi,

Depends on the pitch of the roof. Steeper roofs I start them in 6". If you do not they tend to stick up at the end. Because the cobra vent drops down into the cut out. When you do this it looks straight.

Yes. It looks better IMO.

thats why we use snow country instead of cobra rolls

Always tip to tail; makes a more finished roof (I still explain to the customer that it’s really NOT fully vented due to soffit, etc).

i just run it to the end so i don’t hear "why doesn’t that go to the end, did you run out."
that just makes me want to give them my claw hammer.

But then you won’t have a hammer. ??

I’ve always gone two feet from end.

What do you guys who run end to end do when the peak goes to a valley?

i break it when it goes peak to valley.

We run it to the end always regardless if it hits a vally or chiminy etc. Of course this is for looks only, the cut does not go that far in those cases.

hello,
it depends on what the codes are for your area. Here they are run 1-2 feet from the ends/intersection roof areas.

you should ask you roofing company what the typical or codes for installation are.

We always start and end at 2 or 3 feet away from the ends.

[quote=“War_Goddess_A”]hello,
it depends on what the codes are for your area. Here they are run 1-2 feet from the ends/intersection roof areas.

you should ask you roofing company what the typical or codes for installation are.[/quote]

I didn’t know it was a code issue. I ran the ridge vents all the way to the ends for aesthetic reasons. I stopped the cut far enough back. I will call the codes office today to see what they say.

i have never even heard of ventilation being in any building code. usually the length is an asthetic issue.

I always run mine about 3 tabs from edge or a hip. I think it looks better than running it all the way to the ends.