Do you ever give incentives to your subcontractors?

Do any of you ever give any perks to the subcontractors? or do any of the subcontractors have ideas or ways they were encouraged to have pride in their work they do…our subs have no pride any more in the work they are doing. Pretty much do the work as fast as they can to just get that check and leave a mess behind. Our company is very proud in the work we do and our clean up… any ideas would be great …

The best incentive is to not have subs at all and go with hourly guys. Paid by the square just makes guys rush and skimp on the details that make the difference. Have a lead man on every job and teach him to care.

Or inspect their work when their done and write a deficiency list.No payment until your satisfied.That should give them incentive to do better work.

Hi,

We do not use subs.

Do not pay them till the job is done. That would be the incentive.

I use subs and goes something like this. Not done to my standards and A1 quality, you are gone. Employee or sub, all need proper oversight. An employee can become as lazy as a sub. You are the one that signs the check. If you don’t demand excellent workmanship, you won’t be in business long.

You can’t teach someone to care. They have to want to care. If they don’t, ELIMINATE THEM

I was paid by the square for 8 years and I cared! It’s called INTEGRITY. IF THEY DON’T HAVE IT. ELIMINATE THAT SUB.

If you are allowing your subs to leave messes behind and you pay them, then you have no business running a business. Your subs are running all over you and you won’t last long.

Crappy work= No pay
Low nail= No PAy
Nails on Ground= No Pay
Lazy Subs= You are GONE!
Incorrect nail pattern=No Pay
Etc,etc,etc.

“subcontractor” simply defines the way YOUR MAN is being paid.

Regardless of the manner in which he is paid, He is your man. He works for you and your company!

You say your workers are sloppy.
More pay/benefits to the same worker/workers will not decrease sloppiness!

Find the worker/workers that are not sloppy and then increase the pay so that they will stay with you.

We are a small family and owned operated business…I know and have read how a lot of people feel about our type…but our subs are family…cousins, nephews, and even my brother n law. Yeah you are right not having good clean up will put us out of business…that is why I was asking how to take care of it. We have sold a lot of work for us and keeping up with all that needs to be done is crazy…I (which you should know I am the wife of the owner) work from morning till night on this business. Calls, paperwork etc…It is hard to keep up with it all. I know there is going to be a time where your company breaks out of being small to medium…to huge…when do you know it is the time to hire that help to make sure all this is being done if you cant keep up with it. Our company prides ourself that we keep our jobs clean start from finish we have never had any issue on this crap of pride in their work. We had to lower our pay to our regular subs(which again is family)because of the “illegals” you know what I mean. Sorry for rambling but the previous post on we shouldn’t even be in business how dare you say that…why would you even go there? I thought this sight was here to help…I guess I was wrong. I thought maybe someone out there might just have a good idea on some incentives for the crews just to give them a sense of worth. I know roofing is a hard $#@ job and I am glad I do not have to do it …I just thought you would have some ideas I was not aware our company was going to be bashed…thanks for nothing

Wife of a roofer

First you try to separate yourself from your men
and call them “subcontractors”

then after hearing…

you refer to them as family.

So now you basically say, i can not "eliminate them"
or “Find the worker/workers that are”.

All the answers given here were good, different and right.
None of them are easy decisions that do not incur lots of money and time(money).

Are you willing to do that?
Are you willing to go through the bush to get the nails up?
Expecting someone else will do it?
"thats what they get paid for"
Everyone thinking |“thats not my job|”?

The same attitude will go all the way through the ranks to the bottom.

Your men are you.
You have to show your men how to do it.
If they disrespect,refuse or are incapable(skills)
Then you know what you have to do.

[quote=“roofing4ever”]We are a small family and owned operated business…I know and have read how a lot of people feel about our type…but our subs are family…cousins, nephews, and even my brother n law. Yeah you are right not having good clean up will put us out of business…that is why I was asking how to take care of it. We have sold a lot of work for us and keeping up with all that needs to be done is crazy…I (which you should know I am the wife of the owner) work from morning till night on this business. Calls, paperwork etc…It is hard to keep up with it all. I know there is going to be a time where your company breaks out of being small to medium…to huge…when do you know it is the time to hire that help to make sure all this is being done if you cant keep up with it. Our company prides ourself that we keep our jobs clean start from finish we have never had any issue on this crap of pride in their work. We had to lower our pay to our regular subs(which again is family)because of the “illegals” you know what I mean. Sorry for rambling but the previous post on we shouldn’t even be in business how dare you say that…why would you even go there? I thought this sight was here to help…I guess I was wrong. I thought maybe someone out there might just have a good idea on some incentives for the crews just to give them a sense of worth. I know roofing is a hard $#@ job and I am glad I do not have to do it …I just thought you would have some ideas I was not aware our company was going to be bashed…thanks for nothing

Wife of a roofer[/quote]

Sorry if it seems like bashing your company.Alot of people on here don’t agree with subs.You said yourself your subs had no pride in their work anymore.So here’s their incentive,shape-up or ship out.

I had five of my brothers working for me at one time. That alone about took me down. Family no more. Very hard to separate work and family. I was not bashing you. All I said was that if you are allowing them to leave a messy sight and you still pay them, you should not be running a business. You should not put up with that. Find non-family member subs. It sound like they don’t respect that you are the owner(family tends to do that in business)Been there, will never do that again.

Hi,

You cut family members pay. Then ask how to give them more incentive. Good luck with your problem.

It is easy to sell work then cut pay to get it done.

You have to sell at a price to pay a decent wage. If you are selling to compete with illegals. You will need to hire illegals to do the work.

** You have to put your feelings away. Listen to what is said, then use what you think will work. **

most guys dont like subs . but a couple of jobs go sour by the hour. and it changes there mind. an hourly guy can cause headaches too. with subs you can control labor cost.just demand quality

I’m with travis1 100% on this.

Ive worked for companies that crack a whip all day, screaming at you to get it done, work harder… companies like that have a revolving door of employees.

I’ve worked for companies that let the workers walk all over them… companies like that have lazy employees that do sub standard work.

I grew up working for a guy that was extremely successful and I believe I know exactly why, he ran his business exactly as travis1 suggests.

Near zero tolerance for laziness, incompetence or sloppy workmanship. If you were any of the above, you were gone in a flash and replaced with someone else.
On the other hand, if you were a hard worker, competent and showed excellent workmanship, you were payed extremely well.

This system weeds out the weak, arrogant and lazy workers and rewards those that show pride in there work and loyalty to the company.

The result was a crew full of guys with exceptional roofing skills that would bend over backwards for the companies owner.
The owner has near 100% satisfied happy clients and the workers had a secured position on one of the highest paid crews in the area.

Win / Win

how about “do the job right the first time, and i wont have to break your legs” for an incentive?

drywall is tough to hang with one of your arms in a cast, isnt it?

those nails sure are hard to pick up with that neck brace on, huh?

lol

I am going to have a mandatory meeting for the subcontractors tomorrow. I have created paperwork showing what is expected and if they do not do it they will be replaced. I really do appreciate the thoughts…hopefully if I put my foot down and use the no tolerance sentence they will know that this is about business not family.

About using family…LOL…that could be a whole new topic huh? They so use and abuse us…it is stopping after I have this meeting …

Wife of a roofer

As a subcontractor, meaning, as a fully licensed and insured roofing contractor performing the roofing and sheet metal work for a general contractor, materials and labor, the best incentive given to me was…
Whatever your price is…?..it had better be for perfect work, and, “if it is?”… I will be happy to never have to look for another roofer again… …if it’s not, not only will you not get paid…your butcher reputation will be known throughout the county, and you’ll have a hard time finding work as a laborer, never mind a roofer.

As a shingler, working for a framer, or a builder, it was always the same…“I need it done yesterday”…
Then , when I showed up, it was never 100% ready, or all of the material wasn’t there, or, some other lame reason to hold me up. so I changed my ways…
If I were your roofer?..I always installed felt over your new clean dry plywood sheathing as soon as it was ready…at the end of each day…I would stop by and felt in your work, and check schedule for materials, etc. But at least you were dry, and everyone inside was happy. It had to be done anyways, and it always gave me a good look at how things were going. If you can’t trust the quality of your roofer…your doomed for failure right from the start. It isn’t so much about price as it is about consistent volume, and reliable payments.
The days of lugging 28 squares 200 feet to the ladder from the edge of the mud filled road and having 2 laborers keeping 4 roofers busy are over for me…now it’s roof top delivery, builders that leave their trim carpentry staging up for me to work off of, and then left up for the siding and trim guys., and hi-tech membranes etc. Sometimes I think that i could shingle a bundle faster than I could carry it from the pallet to the roof. So, if you want a better price from your roofer?..make their job a little easier…be ready for them…pay them on time, and treat them like one of the team…not some undesirable gypsy like your used to dealing with from the old days. All we want is a little respect!!!

[quote=“thebaycompany”]As a subcontractor, meaning, as a fully licensed and insured roofing contractor performing the roofing and sheet metal work for a general contractor, materials and labor, the best incentive given to me was…
Whatever your price is…?..it had better be for perfect work, and, “if it is?”… I will be happy to never have to look for another roofer again… …if it’s not, not only will you not get paid…your butcher reputation will be known throughout the county, and you’ll have a hard time finding work as a laborer, never mind a roofer.

As a shingler, working for a framer, or a builder, it was always the same…“I need it done yesterday”…
Then , when I showed up, it was never 100% ready, or all of the material wasn’t there, or, some other lame reason to hold me up. so I changed my ways…
If I were your roofer?..I always installed felt over your new clean dry plywood sheathing as soon as it was ready…at the end of each day…I would stop by and felt in your work, and check schedule for materials, etc. But at least you were dry, and everyone inside was happy. It had to be done anyways, and it always gave me a good look at how things were going. If you can’t trust the quality of your roofer…your doomed for failure right from the start. It isn’t so much about price as it is about consistent volume, and reliable payments.
The days of lugging 28 squares 200 feet to the ladder from the edge of the mud filled road and having 2 laborers keeping 4 roofers busy are over for me…now it’s roof top delivery, builders that leave their trim carpentry staging up for me to work off of, and then left up for the siding and trim guys., and hi-tech membranes etc. Sometimes I think that i could shingle a bundle faster than I could carry it from the pallet to the roof. So, if you want a better price from your roofer?..make their job a little easier…be ready for them…pay them on time, and treat them like one of the team…not some undesirable gypsy like your used to dealing with from the old days. All we want is a little respect!!![/quote]

My sentiments/experiences exactly.

I sub off contractors and I sell my own I think maybe you aren’t paying well? I do the same quality on either but I don’t do extras that I do on my own jobs paint pipes, custom dripedge at the eaves , but I do the same job regardless because I think once you let up on a certain standard its really hard to get it back. Clean up is all tools too we tarp every thing use leaf blowers 2 types of rakes and a huge ajc magnet, so our cleanups are pretty minimal I make the guys tie all the wrappers in knots so they don’t blow away etc…

well everyone I am proud to say I had the meeting…it went great. I created a sheet for all of them to sign saying what is expected at finish of a job. I had them sign the sheet to make them realize the seriousness in all this. I used the sentence that was on here Zero tolerance for laziness, sloppiness and poor workmanship. I turned it around and told them I know they know what they are suppose to do and that maybe they could use this meeting and go back and have a meeting with the guys that work for them and use the “zero tolerance” on them.
Thanks for input and information…I really did utilize it and it is working. I said I (remember I am the wife here)was going to change our company guidelines on Monday…and I did. The guys are just different now and know what is expected from us to get paid…

Wife Of a Roofer

Alright I had to respond to this…We pay our guys $50 a square for one layer tear offs and 4/12 pitch…we pay them $55 for two layers …and $60 and up for the nasty steeper ones. We are always willing to give extra amount for if the delivery ended up on ground when it should of been roof topped. We have a laddervator for the guys to use if that happens. We are willing to hear out why they think they need to be paid more and usually do. They voiced in the meeting that other companies pay $42 a square but they pay extra for install pipe boots…flashing a chimney…by the foot for ridge vent…by the foot for drip. It was an interesting conversation because I pulled out a contract and figured it up and they would of made less on that job then they would by getting just paid flat by the square. Are we doing them wrong? We are not a business trying to cheat the roofers. They work hard they deserve the money they make. You have to understand also that we are competing with larger companies that do hire “illegals” so we have to compete with their prices. So tell me everyone what do you pay your guys? or what do you the roofer get paid? Also I want it to be know we got materials delivered usually roof topped to the job ,and we arrange the dumpster. If ever they come short on material they call office and we might have it in stock there and if we don’t we call it in on our accounts at the wholesaler and they go pick it up…just thought I would throw that in so you know we try our best to make the job go as easy as roofing can go…and they get paid every Friday regardless if they have finished that job they get paid on what they got done. They know if they need a draw on a job we usually allow it.
Thanks for reading my rambling…

Wife of A Roofer