Do it yourselfer questions?

Hi, I am a teacher (have 3 weeks to do this starting Aug 1) who lives in western Montana and live in a ranch style house that is 40 years old. It has the original 3 tab shingles on it now. I want to rip it off and re shingle it myself. I callled 8 roofers, 5 called me back and looked at it, 3 actually gave me a bid. The price $5500- $6100 was more then I can afford. My house needs 26 squares, I got a price of $300 for big dumpster and $1500-1600 for 30 year elk shingles, nails, felt from local lumber yard. So I want to tackle this myself and save some and get it done. I am not a complete idiot (my dad was a builder) but have never roofed before. I went to Amazon and got this list of books and was wondering if any would be good for me-

Roofing with Asphalt Shingles (For Pros by Pros) by Mike Guertin

Roofing, Flashing and Waterproofing (Best of Fine Homebuilding) by Fine Homebuilding Editors

The Complete Guide to Roofing & Siding: Install, Finish, Repair, Maintain (Black & Decker) by Bryan Trandem

Roofing The Right Way by Steven Bol

Complete Roofing Handbook (Audel) by James E. Brumbaugh

ROOFING DVD ShinglePro: How To Shingle Like a Pro. Builders - Roofers - Do-it-yourselfers. Easy Installation Tips and Time saving techniques. HOW TO ROOF DVD

My plans are to rip it all off and I know I will need to replace some plywood in back because facia was to high and flattened it out and water and ice sat there rotting plywood. On the gables I have metal that is old kind of a channel type the shingles go in, and that should be replaced.
Put down felt, I do have plenty of vents (6) in back so I don’t need a ridge vent I was told, and shingle. I do have 2 small valley (it has metal in there now) where the garage sticks out and I like the cut look better then the weave but don’t know how to do it. One roofer explained it to me as roofing around and then overlap it and cut it down the valley. He said put extra heavy felt in the valley. Any suggestions on books or DVDs would be a great help. Thanks 2point

certainteed.com/CertainTeed/ … hingle.htm

No need to spend money on books and such, it’s just a racket. Any information you need can be found for free, online. Certainteed and GAF both have excellect spec guides. Certainteeds is better written IMO. Go with an achitectural shingle if you can afford it, they are more forgiving to nail than 3-tabs.

[quote=“2point”]
My plans are to rip it all off
Put down felt, and shingle. [/quote]

Wow you called 8 professionals wasting their time asking for free estimates . When you never had any intention of hiring them … and 5 actually took time from their schedule and wasted the not cheap anymore gasoline to drive all the way to your house …

I feel sorry for them .

When people take advantage of a free estimate service only to get information and never have intentions of buying makes me wanna charge for my estimates .

A good source for information about shingling a home is found at the ARMA site (Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Assn). They will give you a lot of info on how to lay the shingles and handle the flashing metal.

Good luck. Take your time and THINK about what you are doing. Remember…water runs down hill. If you make sure nothing stops the water from running down hill you will be ok. Don’t forget to use an ice barrier on your roof for the rough snow season.

QRFL I did plan on hiring a roofer because but I have $4500 left from my home equity loan and don’t want to go over the original shingles because I have 2 spots of spongy plywood I wiant replaced. For $4500 they go over old roof and I would rather do it myself. They all said free estimates and they were quite like- I will try to work you in when I am not doing new construction. The guys who never called back were the ones I really liked also, but I am not going to beg anybody to work for me. To me to save $3500 is huge, they are all busy adn I was up front with them, just to much money for me.

Can you post pictures of your roof ??

I would like to see the difficulty of your project .

I will give you my best advice as your first roofing project .

Only you know what you can afford and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do .

keep us posted

Thanks for all the replies I know you are all professionals and it is nice of you to take time to give me those web sites. I will try to get a picture posted. It isn’t high 9’- 15’ at gables or steep 4/12 I believe so that is why I think I could do it.

Another thing that scared me was, and I know you can’t get a price on the plywood replacement because you don’t know how many sheets needed replaced and they all said time plus materials, I would have like to known aprox. how much to relace a sheet $75, $100, more or less, is that close, they all said it depends?? I guess I could have asked how much an hour labor and called the lumber yard and got plywood prices.

This is the exact reason I don’t give free estimates anymore.

This scenerio isn’t new, it happens all the time. Its either we are too high and like 2point, they do it themselves, OR we are too high and someone comes in 1/2 the price we are.

But more importantly…and I might add, more profitable is not giving free estimates for the repair just shortly after the job is done!!!

I, for one, am very happy for the DYIers, homeowners and bad roofers in todays market. I have made a great living the last year or so off of the poor workmanship, illegal roofing practices, or just plain incompetence of the roofer today!!!

Keep it up everybody! :mrgreen:

Yeh that was my 1st impression also G since you know how i hate wasting my time with people who dont even appreciate all the effort we put to get to their house to provide free estimates .

But this guy is talking straight out .

He cant afford a professional so he comes here for advice (even do i hate the fact he called 8 Roofers!! ).

Ill admit i hate to give it over a monitor since there are some roofs that demand more then just nailing shingles .

I knew if my truck was broken down and i couldn’t afford a mechanic i try to ask the pros hoping someone will advice something to help me out .

as far as the plywood question … it all depends how much woodrot you have under your roof.

A contractor should reserve the right to charge a fee for his estimates. In our case I will try to prequalify them on the phone and if they dont pass muster then are informed there is a fee involved in coming out. also if they are out of the territory they are charged a fee. In some cases it is refundable toward work done. In other cases the estimate is free with no obligation whatsoever, but never take that card out of your deck by saying somthing stupid in your advertising like Free Estimates. A word to the wise

RooferJ, that is exactly what I do. I will sit and talk with them for 15-20 minutes and if I feel they are price shopping or we would be too high for them, I tell them that I have to charge for the estimate.

With repairs, I charge EVERYBODY for the estimate!

Hi,

When you say forgiving. Do you really mean the guy nailing the shingles can be a hack and get away with it.

“When you say forgiving. Do you really mean the guy nailing the shingles can be a hack and get away with it.”

I really meant what I really wrote… It’s pretty self explanatory with no hidden meanings or mysterious secrets implied.

Hi,

How are they more forgiving?

For someone starting out, I would want them on 3-tabs as far as nailing. They are more forgiving.

The two guys (ones I liked best) who came and measured everything out and we talked for 15 minutes who never gave me a bid or even had the decency to call me and say no thanks should have known I left work early that day to meet them. Maybe I should send them a bill. It works both ways, I had planned on hiring it out, but changed my mind, on their attitude and price.

Actually my wife wants to get the guy at $5500 who is good and did our neighbors roof, if he would give me a day to do the plywood replacement and I find $1000 in sofa it sounds good :wink:

[quote=“QRFL”]

[quote=“2point”]
My plans are to rip it all off
Put down felt, and shingle. [/quote]

Wow you called 8 professionals wasting their time asking for free estimates . When you never had any intention of hiring them … and 5 actually took time from their schedule and wasted the not cheap anymore gasoline to drive all the way to your house …

I feel sorry for them .

When people take advantage of a free estimate service only to get information and never have intentions of buying makes me wanna charge for my estimates .[/quote]

I do the same thing just to make sure im giving the best price. Haha.
You should start charging for your estimates then thast way you send all the money my way. Haha.

[quote=“2point”]Thanks for all the replies I know you are all professionals and it is nice of you to take time to give me those web sites. I will try to get a picture posted. It isn’t high 9’- 15’ at gables or steep 4/12 I believe so that is why I think I could do it.

Another thing that scared me was, and I know you can’t get a price on the plywood replacement because you don’t know how many sheets needed replaced and they all said time plus materials, I would have like to known aprox. how much to relace a sheet $75, $100, more or less, is that close, they all said it depends?? I guess I could have asked how much an hour labor and called the lumber yard and got plywood prices.[/quote]

Maybe if your really hard up you should rip all the old shingles off your self and charge it as a new roof? Althought youed have to buy some rippers and have a bin in place and have to cover the whole roof in tarps so no water comes through while waiting for some shady roofer that does 10 squares a day.Hmm. maybe just do it your self. But i tell ya its alot of work.
Hey, maybe just shingle over your existing roof and then charge it as a new roof. it will be cheaper and you won have to pay for a huge bin.

maybe you can load the roof your self? do you have a ladder you could use to hand bomb 80 bunbles up the roof?
Then that way you save 200-300 dollars.
If your roof isnt leaking then maybe you should wait awhile and think about it more.

Good luck ojn the re roof and try to stay away from them shady roofers.

**"How are they more forgiving?

For someone starting out, I would want them on 3-tabs as far as nailing. They are more forgiving."**

Three tabs are not more forgiving. You need more lines and you need to be worried about people looking up the roof and seeing a pin straight bond line. It’s very easy to spot a crooked 3-tab due to the rain eyes/water grooves (whatever you call them there) If you run a bit high/low/crooked or whatever with architectural shingles it is way less noticeable than with a tabbed shingle. Forget about running around structure like a dormer when you need to make sure your uprights match (and your rain eyes don’t!) when you tie in on the other side. Dealing with an out of square rake is also more of a pain with tabbed shingles. I honestly don’t understand how anybody that has nailed both types of shingles could say that 3-tabs are more forgiving, it’s not even a close enough call to say it’s a matter of opinion.

My Grandma just moved from the Bozeman Montana area and she said new construction has been busy there for a few years now. Most roofers charge more for tear offs and less for new stuff, odd they would want to do the new stuff and not the tear offs.

If price is a concern you should find a roofer who is willing to work with you. You could tear off and replace the bad decking, load and dry in the roof and have them come out and shingle it in. If the roofers you talked to like the new stuff anyways they should be happy to come shingle on a house that’s ready to go. Personaly I only do this for close friends and family or really good customers who get me new customers yearly.

Tearing off although hard work is a no brainer. Try to have the dumpster company put the box up to the house so everything can be tossed into it from the roof top. Stacking the shingles on the roof is also a no brainer, just make sure to spread out the shingles. Try to get them loaded onto the rooftop by means of a boom truck. Putting down ice and water shield is the toughest part of drying in but it’s fairly simple, even Certainteed has three directions on how to lay down Winterguard. Putting down felt is simple, I’d recommend a good quality felt like a synthetic or fiberglass felt like Certainteeds Roofer Sellect or ShingleMate. GAF makes a good felt too.

Laying shingles with laminates is pretty straight foward. Make sure you run your first row straight, with a minumal of 1/2in overhang with drip edge and 3/4in with wood.

Over the years I’ve seen first time home owners roof there house near perfectly but most make a hack job out of it.

IMO, Elk would be one of the last laminates I’d put on a roof. Landmark, then Timberline, then Owens Cornings, then Tamko Heritage, and at a last resort Elk Prestique.

Good luck and keep a close eye on the weather every day your tearing off. The main advantage to having a professional do your roof with a large crew is there usualy done in a day, minimizing your chances of water intrusion.

well 2point there may be a reason they would take the time to do a measure call but then not follow through with an estimate.There not just measuring the roof but there measuring you. A good contractor can pick his customers.