Do i have bad shingles or bad air flow

my house/roof is only 6 years old the shingles are creeling and they have lost most of the rocks could it be from lack of air flow or bad shingles and how can i tell they are certantee shingles and the lumber yard that the builder got them said certantee has a problem with them any help thanks

were are you located?

gweedo

What style of shingles from Certainteed do you have installed on your home?

What is the dimensions of your attic floor space?

What and how many intake vents do you have in place and what and how much exhaust ventilation products do you have in place?

Where are you located?

Ed

I am going to go on a hunch and say they are more than likely organic shingles.

If they are more than likley they are Certainteed Sealdon 25 3 tabs and you are one of many with these defective shingles.

There are talks of class action law suits but as far as making any settelments don’t think that has happened yet. Big businesses usually have deep pockets which allow for very good legal help.

Take some pictures and post on here.

Even with poor/nonexistent ventilation Sealdons should last at least 10 yrs.
They were one of the better organics.

The Sealdons were originaly a 15 year shingle. It’s no wonder why most fail at or around 15 years. I have torn off roofs with these shingles that still held back water at age 20.

Most roofs I tear off have problems on the sunny sides while the North sides at age 15 are still in very good condition.

I agree at age 6 there should be no issues. There were two defective Sealdons that were torn off at CT expense, one was 3 years old the other was 6 years old.

If no air vents are on a roof Certainteed warrants the roof for 10 years which is more than most manufacturers. I think you do loose most if not all the sure start warranty however.

they are a three tab shingle bright green i don’t know the model of them the home was a spec I live in urbana Iowa i have a ridge vent that is the length of the home along with full length soffit vents both front and back thanks acil

The ventilation sounds like it is properly done, but have you ever been in the attic to see if the Ridge Vent slot was cut out or if the insulation in the attic is blocking the soffit vents?

If you take a small bottom corner of a shingle and break it off, about a nickel sized piece, you can see the inside core. If it is fiberglass, you can see the strands and if it is organic, it will look like saturated asphalt paper.

Regardless, unless you have the product list from the builder, you will have a hard time identifying the shingles, presuming you are the original owner of the home.

Warranties are not usually transferable, unless sent in writing under special circumstances to the manufacturer.

6 years is way too short of a life to not investigate this further. Can you still get a hold of the original spec builder?

Ed

ed i am the first owner and i have had the sales person from the lumber store the builder got the singles from look at them and he said to talk with certantee pulled 2 off and sent them just waiting to see what they say don’t know if they are going to say poor venting or bad shingles

With that warranty package, you should be issued a claim number.

Usually, you have to take photos of all elevation sides, Front, Left, Right, and Rear and also provide a roof diagram with pretty accurate measurements when you send the warranty package in.

Make sure you show photos of the material degradation or severe curling issues.

Were you given a piece of paper with instructions of all procedures you must do?

It may seem like jumping through hoops, but for a 6 year old roof, if it is truly failing badly, they should take care of it.

Ed

ed i sent pic of the whole house and all the vents but i have to replace the roof soon and i dont wont to replace it in 6 years again i just think they will say it is from bad venting so how can i tell for shere it is venting good thanks acil

The total dimension of your attic floor space will give you a square footage amount.

If your ventilation is properly balanced, 50% intake and exhaust, or if you have a vapor barrier on the warm, underside of the attic floor insulation, then you are allowed to use the less restrictive 1/300 ventilation formula.

Each ventilation product installed on your home has an NFVA rating, (Net Free Ventilating Area), as assigned by the manufacturer of that product.

Lanced or perforated soffit vents typically provide 6 square inches to 9 square inches of NFVA per SQARE FOOT of that vented panel installed.

Each lineal foot of your ridge vent will provide anywhere from 12 square inches to the more common 18 square inches of NFVA per Lineal Foot.

Lets just use some simple math to provide as one example.
Attic Floor = 30 ft x 30 ft = 900 square feet.

1/300 means that you would need 3 Square Feet Total of NFVA. So far, the NFVA has been calculated in square inches.

30 foot ridge vent x 18 square inches per lineal foot = 540 square inches of Exhaust NFVA.

2 sides of soffit, if completely vented and overhang 1 foot exactly = 60 foot x 9 square inches = 540 square inches of Intake NFVA.

Total = 1,080 sq in NFVA.

Now convert that to square feet. One square foot is 12 inches x 12 inches = 144 square inches.

So, 1,080 square inches divided by 144 square inches = 7.5 (7 1/2) square feet of Total Ventilation.

If your home is similar to the example, then you exceed the minimum required amount of NFVA necessary. Remember, in the example, you only needed 3 square feet total.

If your conditions were different, you would have to use the 1/150 formula instead, which would have required 6 square feet total of NFVA, but this example exceeded that amount as well.

Your actual calculations will be determined by the length of your ridge vent and the square footage of installed vented soffit panels.

Ed

Before the insurance industry replaced roofs I worked several claims with Certainteed regarding organic shingles.

Don’t recall ever sending in more than a form with the amout of squares, type of venting, date installed, product, color, etc. and two shingles.

They value the shingles only, not the felt, ice and water, valley vents, etc. They pro-rate the roof like a car battery. They look at the cost the date it was installed and do the math from there. Nothing is payed for labor. It would be safe to say you will get about 10% of the replacement cost from Certainteed but since they may have 19 years of warranty left you should get more. Labor in Iowa is more than likely a lot less then in Minnesota too.

In the first five years however you get a “sure start” warranty with Certainteed which covers labor and materials. The one job I did at year 3 they covered 75% of the total cost to tear off and start over.

Do you have any wind damage?

I don’t ever remember having to go through all of that paperwork when I had an Issue.

I contacted a local Rep. for the shingle manufacture. Made an appointment for him to come out along with the roofer and then went over the entire roof.

A determination was made by the Rep. and claim was made.
Then issue for replacement was given, the roofer picked up the materials and re-did the job.

this was all handled within 2 weeks.

N.Carolina