DIY Question

I am replacing the roof on my garage. It has a hip roof. Should i remove all of the old shingles at once and cover the garage with felt or should i strip a side and shingle and then repeat on the other three sides. We have been getting a lot of thunder showers in the area and this seems to be the pattern. I have tools and other things stored. Am i over thinking this???

Thanks

1 side at a time works well, just do as much as you can get covered in the same day, with felt at least.

Like axiom said only tear off what you can reshingle in a day. Felt is not water proof.

Tear off only what you can cover in one day.

Phil
roofing7.com/

Ditto.

[quote=“pfelber”]Tear off only what you can cover in one day.

Phil
roofing7.com/[/quote]

What they said…

Hi,

You can dry-in the roof with felt. It will not leak. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

We overlap the felt 6".

I like to cover whatever I tore off with shingles. If you have to leave the felt exposed overnight make sure you secure it with button caps. Often rain is accompanied with high winds, so you want it to be secured.
Once felt gets wet, by rain or dew, it gets “rumply”, introducing “un-funess” into your roofing project.
This is why I like to put back what I tore off the same day. Once roofing becomes unfun, it becomes very unfun.

Good Luck

We leave roofs felted all the time. Its common practice around here. Sometimes I feel my leg being pulled when they say they only tear off what can be roofed in.

What do you do with the guys who don’t install? Send them home early?

[quote=“RooferR”]We leave roofs felted all the time. Its common practice around here. Sometimes I feel my leg being pulled when they say they only tear off what can be roofed in.

What do you do with the guys who don’t install? Send them home early?[/quote]

QFT. :smiley:

I thought this situation might be a good use of the synthetic underlayment like the one I saw shown on an episode of this old house. It was Titanium UDL-30. They claim a 6 month exposure time (yikes) and the installation is with button cap nails and they have all the nailing locations and shingle gridlines marked on the rolls. Sure it’s a lot more expensive than felt, but on an entire roof, it’s not a huge cost but especially for a DIY guy that needs time to finish the job, I thought it would be money well spent.
One concern was if You put up a line of shingles halfway up the roof, that in the event of a rain, the water would run down and get behind the shingles. I still think a tarp might be a good idea.
I wonder why companies don’t suggest synthetic UL more?

For a long term dry in Titanium UDL is an excellent product.
If properly applied it will last more than 6 months exposed.

Synthetic underlayments are not specified by the manufacturers because it is overkill for the intended purpose.
Synthetics are better I am not disputing that at all, they are just added expense for little return on investment.
For tear off work we use 30# felt, it stands up to wind and rain very well for up to a month if properly applied.
We don’t leave an existing home felted in for more than a couple days though…
If we have a new build that will be a while before the roofing is applied we will use Titanium UDL.

There are people that don’t even think an underlayment is needed, I am not one of them…