Different opinion on roof condition by buyer & seller inspectors

Hello everyone. I have an update, after further negotiation, the seller agreed to $5000 credit towards purchase price during closing. We agreed and moving forward with the deal. I am happy with it. My only concern is that I hope there is no big surprises when I go to replace the roof i.e. major wood damages, sheathing damage…etc.

I have a quote for repair from a contractor which I will post shortly.

Here is the quote/estimate from my original roofer that did the inspection and took those 3 pictures above.

I doubtvits a real inspector report

Seems pretty fair to me Frank!
Congrats!!
The only thing i can see to improve is to make sure you tell your roofer you want “D226” level 15# felt.
He might already do that but you need to make sure.

Get another quote, always good to get 2, maybe 3.
Find out what kind of skylight, make sure they are insured and licensed if required in your area.

We ran into another bump. Now seller wont sign the addendum for the $5000 credit unless I acknowledge in writing that this $5000 is final settlement and I release him from any future claims related to the roof.

Hes just trying to protect himself.
He doesnt want you getting all hissy if it ends up costing much more than that 9k quote you got.
Paperwork Sounds legit though.
It wouldnt stop me if i really liked the neighborhood/house/ schools.

Hes basically paying for half of the new roof!
I think thats fair.
And you get to research about roofing on your time and choose who you want to.

I did like how that roofer wrote in big letters
“EXTRA” next to the wood footage.
He’s making that clear!
Hahahaha

I agree with rooflover, I think he is offering you a fair deal and just trying to protect himself.

Here are pictures of the attic taken by the home inspector. Do you notice anything odd?imageimageimageimageimage

Nothing catches my eye in those pics. Would be best to look at the area around the skylight where all the tar is because that would be the most likely location of water damage. But in all honesty I think you’ll be fine.

BTW it looks like you have tounge and groove sheeting. That’s superior to the 1/2 plywood and OSB that everyone uses on new houses these days. It’s stronger and holds up to weather better cause its solid wood.

As islands said looks like nice plank deck. Only thing that I see that looks off is the roof mount exhaust fan installed in the gable wall. That can be removed/relocated when the roof job is being done.

They are kidding? Right? There is no way I would trust that roof?

If it is true that she has T&G 1x6 decking as her entire roof, that would be very very rare for a residential structure that is not cathedral.
It would also be awesome because all roofing nails will take hold in a solid piece of wood.
Around here, all the old residential structures
Have Tounge and groove 1x6 or 1x4 all around the edges of the roof.(exposed soffit areas)
With regular 1x6 decking inside the attic.

This photo only shows 1x6 decking.
I cant see if it is T&G 1x6.
I would need to see a close up.
If it is not all T&G decking( much more likely)
You will have an airspace every 5 1/2 inches
Which means their nail guns are going to
Be hitting air spaces all over the place.

A great way to counter this issue is to have Ice and water shield self adhered underlayment installed over the entire roof.
A small upcharge over other underlayments
That helps seal around the roofing nails that will hit into these airspaces.

Around here(florida)
Your homeowners insurance is required to lower the cost of your policy when you install this underlayment.

In my area its not uncommon at all to find old houses with a full tounge and groove roof deck.

That is awesome!!
Very expensive for a
Builder!

Tongue and groove not too common here, but we have lots of shiplap sheathing. Great stuff if there was any venting at all its usually fine

T&G pretty common here on stuff built pre 1950,rarely see a 1x6 deck. On stuff older than 20’s It is mainly 1x10 and 1x12. Have never seen a ship lap deck around Philly.