Deviate from laying pattern on gaf high definition?

It says when laying the Gaf/Elk prestique high def 30 year (barkwood) shingle that you lay a full, then cut off 6"for next row then cut off 11" and then cut off 17" and then on your fifth row start with another full. The roofer wonders if he should deviate from that, what would happen? He wonders if it would make much of a difference. Anyone happen to know? Thankyou.

If he’s roofing professionally he should know this already. Install as per manufacturers specs on the back of the shingle wrapper…for a number of reasons.

If memory serves me, the bundle said to not let joints be closer than 4" apart. I don’t measure them myself to any specific inch.
On my own roof, after talking to ELK, I weaved the entire roof. No butt joints anywhere.

dont tell anybody i told you,
but you can run em anyway you like as long as
your gettin the 6 or 7 inch stagger between shingles.

gweedo

[quote=“gweedo”]dont tell anybody i told you,
but you can run em anyway you like as long as
your gettin the 6 or 7 inch stagger between shingles.

gweedo[/quote]

True, but you must watch for patterning when deviating from the specs.

when shingle roofs get old you can see which way they were run.
whats allways puzzled me is why people think that seein the shingles racked diagnoly is better than seein them rack vertically.

over the years i have purposelly layed several demensional roofs like three tabs, to see if it makes any difference in apperance or performance, and find that they look the same and dont leak.
so i cant say they need to be run a certain way.

gweedo.

I try to stay away from the always color changing GAF and ELK lines but Landmark has changed it’s aplication method on it’s package twice.

The package used to say to run 4 shingles 6 inches offset than to split the fifth shingle in the middle or in the case of running of a gable start with a full shingle.

Now the package says to run 3 shingles 6 inches offset and to split the fourth shingle.

The 8th addition master installer book says you can also step them with a 6 inch offset all the way from top to bottom.

I have seen patterns with all the above mentioned applications but perhaps the least with the 3 shingle offset method.

Anything is better than racking a laminate shingle though.