Desperately need advice

We had a new roof 3 months ago, Rosemary tiles were removed and replaced with pantiles.
A long diagnal crack has appeared in the upstairs front bay upto the ceiling. I spoke to a few surveyors who felt it was probably the roof not being strengthened to take the pantiles.
I’ve since looked round all the rooms and found numerous new cracks.
I’m horrified.
I haven’t yet contacted the roofer but I don’t think he will be helpful. I have a builder I know coming to inspect tomorrow.
Do Ihave any rights here. Haven’t been able to sleep for worrying about it.

Call an engineer asap and have him get an eyeball on it. From what you say my first reaction is too much roof load.

On another forum I was told
"Don’t worry about your roof being overloaded, concrete pantiles actually weigh significantly less than Rosemarys.
Rosemarys are 78 kg per sq metre compare to about 50 kg for concrete pantiles. "

So I’m not sure now.

Here are some snaps of the cracks…
i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 … cks004.jpg
i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 … cks002.jpg
i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 … cks003.jpg
i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 … cks001.jpg

Sounds like a load issue to me but i dont do tiles. Cracks do not happen just because.

could the cracks have been caused by the roofers “slamming” pachages or tiles or something heavy when they were loading the roof. in other words, dropping stuff on the roof

thanks
i was hoping that but they’ve appeared a couple of months later. one crack has increased a few inches since yesterday…

load issues can work in both ways. when you remove a load the house flexes also

check the weight per sq for both products thats the first step. that what an engineer will want first. even if the new tile is less the there can still be movement as the house relaxes so to say.

cracks nail pops and peeing paint are not uncommon just from vibrations as the work is done.

good luck

hi mate
i take you are in the england with you talking about rosemarys and pantiles tiles , there is not much weight difference between these two sorts of concrete tiles , it would be different if you had slates on your roof and you put concrete , have you been into your loft area and looked to see if there is any deflection in your purlin , this is the horizontal timber from side to side and would normally have timbers underneath to act as props on to a low bearing wall .

also are you doing any other work in the loft area like a conversion because this would cause cracks to appear in the ceiling .

go into your loft and a look to see if you can any problems or better still take a few pictures and post on here to if any one can help .

also is it a old property so you will more than likely have lath and plaster ceiling , and some times when a roof is done the banging on rafter can cause vibration , movement , and cracks will appear in the ceiling .

check out these things and if you have any other questions get in touch .

regards john

ditto marshall/john_m.

gweedo.

I’m also one of the “not a tile person” people on here.

However.

1. Try to use the “macro” setting on your digital camera & also to use a tripod for stability.

2. A coin is good for size comparisons, however a tape measure or ruler is an even better guage; try to plae one of those in your photo instead.

3. For each affected area, mark off one specific location where it appears (to you, anyhow) the cracks are making the largest expansion. Take a photo with scale ruler of this area, then come back to it in one week, two weeks, 3 weeks, etc. Document on a chart the date, time & maybe even the weather conditions outside - temp & humidity (atmospheric condition actually does have some kind of a bearing on things that may matter if you were ever to try & go to court over something). Try to be consistent in the time you take the photos.

4. Measure the entire length of the cracks, tip to tail. Keep this on your chart as well.

This information will be very helpful for you.

I also might suggest you contact a wholesale supplier of the products you DID HAVE in addition to the products you NOW have. Ask what the weight range is for the old items vs. the new; this might settle the issue right there.

Good luck & please keep us advised of your findings.

PS: We are a curious lot over here on this forum; if you don’t mind, can you tell us:

—What it was that prompted you to select this particular contractor?
—How many bids overall did you get?
—Did any of them provide references?
—Of those wo did provide, did you actually check any of these references out?

Thank you if you do take the time to answer these added items.

Many thanks for all your info.
In reply to your curiosities I went with this contractor for the following reasons:

1. he ‘seemed’ trustworthy
  2. his kids are at my kids school
  3. he was recommended by a friend at school
  4. he was very local and small scale and for some bizarre reason that appealed
  5. we had about 6 other roofers around and I wouldn’t have felt comfortable having them round the house for weeks as I’m at home with children.
  6. the scaffolder had used him for his own roof and said he was the only one he’d use…
  7. i took no references.
    Felt under pressure to get it done as we’d had rain coming in since moving in and couldn’t get it resolved. Removing the chimney solved that problem.

Hi,

Not talking to the roofer???

Sounds like you like to get yourself worked up.

Not talking to the roofer???

RanchHand nailed it!

Hi guys
Builder came out, thinks the roof isn’t the problem. He’d checked with suppliers re the weight and the pantiles are slightly lighter. The timbers were strong and he could see no issues there at all.
A lot of the cracks are in line with the new fascias and soffits so he thought it could be the wrong fittings, maybe too big causing internal cracks?
The other possiblity is the single level rear extension which was put on 2 yrs ago before we bought. If the wrong RSJ was used could this cause internal cracks?
I would’ve thought there would be cracks from the ground level up not high wall to ceiling cracks but then, as you’ve seen, I have no idea!
One of the cracks was looked at by a Structural Eng when we bought, he said it was plaster shrinkage a year ago but as it’s got worse and there’s additional cracking I’m hoping he’ll come and see what’s going on for free… waiting for his call now.
that’s the update.

a struc engineer will charge money 9 out of 10 times.

[quote=“withnail1969”]
I haven’t yet contacted the roofer but I don’t think he will be helpful. I have a builder I know coming to inspect tomorrow.
Do Ihave any rights here. Haven’t been able to sleep for worrying about it.[/quote]

What you “Think” and what actually may be could be 2 seperate results.

Your roofer is the only one who has the 1st hand experience with this situation.

Ask him.

Ed

GTP, it’s possible this structural is going to come out & salvage his reputation for having said “no big deal / it’s only the plaster” yet the cracks are getting scary.

Nail, as for the cracks expanding from the bottom or the top, they would expand from the axis if the bottom was opening up but expand from the top if the outsides were falling away.

Example:

These can be caused by the sub floor (concrete in more modern cases; unsure how old your structure is) eroding due to flood OR from dry ground pulling away.

Thanks.
He is coming out.
Will let you know.
House is 70 years old, brick with suspended timber floor. Extension has concrete floor.
No sign of cracking to the external render.
Will have to see what the surveyor says. He has a very good reputation so I’m hoping I’ll get reassurance not terrible news.

dup post sorry

be carefull not to get to many agencies, departments,
and beureus involved, it can get exspensive.

also i liked how you chose your roofer.
but i would advise to have a professional relationship
with your roofer not a personal one.

gweedo.