Desperate! Leaks are springing up everywhere!

We live in a 30 year old Dutch colonial with seven gables in upstate New York. When we moved into our house four years ago, there was some minor leaking around fireplaces due to issues with flashing. Shingles were beginning to fall off roof and much algae adhering to roof.

Decision was made in October to have new roof installed. We chose timberline ultra shingles. Roofer removed two layers of shingles installed by previous owner.

In December, we began to notice some ceiling stains around fireplace once again. In addition, we noticed that the towels in our upstairs master bathroom were never completely dry. My husband went into attic and noticed water dripping from nails and mold growing on attic roofing. (Never had this problem before). Called roofer who came in and we suggested that perhaps roof had not been vented properly. He made some minor repairs and installed an attic fan. Leaks around fireplace were chalked up to cracks in chimney bricks and required a mason. Since December, mold has not spread and attic fan seems to help.

On Feb. 14th we had a massive snow storm and had three feet of snow. Yesterday, February 17th noticed stains in downstairs kitchen ceiling, hallway, and basement. This morning awoke to find puddles in several locations in our home. Roofer returned yesterday and indicated that the roof had never “sealed” from baking in the sun because of October installation. Said he would return to shovel snow off the roof today. He said that all it takes is a “pinhole” in shingle for leaks to occur and that we purchased the more expensive shingles and that was preventing moisture from escaping.

We are desperate. My husband feels that the roof is not ventilated properly and that ice jams are forming, resulting in the leaks. What do we do? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

“He said that all it takes is a “pinhole” in shingle for leaks to occur and that we purchased the more expensive shingles and that was preventing moisture from escaping”

bullchit

First, don’t panic.

Second, have the heavy snow removed carefully. Don’t need to go all the way to the shingles. This will slow the ice dam leaking.

Third, get a new roofer.

Hi,

Dennis is right. He is bullshiting you.

Shingles only shed water. They are not water proof. When the shingles seal it is not to keep water out. They seal to prevent blow-offs. So if all the shingles are on the roof there is no problem with sealing.

Get off most of the snow. A layer of snow a couple of inches is okay. That way you will not damage the shingles.

where in upstate ny are you located? maybe i can help.

I agree with whats being said here.

Well, I have a sick feeling in my stomach right now with the realization that you are correct – he is and has been bsing us. I think we knew when the issues around the fireplace sprung up shortly after he completed the roof, then the mold and now this…

I thank you all sincerely for responding to my posting.

We are in Queensbury, New York… anyone know of any decent roofers in the area?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Katrina

Hi,

Here are some resources.

nerca.org/members.aspx?s=ny

nrca.net/consumer/default.aspx

Thanks, those look great!

Marshall might be close to you. He knows his stuff. Email him and im sure he could help you out and find out why you are having these problems.

i mapquested it…4 hours, so i cant be the roofer this time. we can help more with some pics.

Thanks for looking into it. I will post some pictures a bit later today. My husband has called around to a few places… waiting to hear back.

Again, I am so greatful to all of you for helping us out!

I hope you find a roofer in your area that will not give you the run around.

**Some questions about the roof,**What is the slope of the roof?where are the leaks occurring ?edge,center?Do you have soffits?Did the roofer install ice and water shield to the edges and in the valleys?Was this roof installed in poor weather conditions?-- :wink: I am enjoying 70 degree plus weather on the gulf of mexico and do not envy you way up there.-sounds like the ?roofer? used the old adage…
'If in doubt ,leave it out…

well allrite,
another member from the P.C.
in the house. and sounds like hes got some
northern roofing background.

now to mrs jjlkmw,
im not gonna shoot the ole roofer just yet.
sometimes the shingles come outta the bundles
all lumpidy bumbideed and its possible, seein that its
whatever below zero, that they didnt heat up and lay down
flat, leavin theese big open gaps for the polar ice cap to back
up into.
so get the damn snow off and throw a couple of heated blankets up
there and heat up the shingles until they lay down.

i am a god.
a freakin supper hero.

gweedo.

You make dinner, too?

:smiley:

you need the whole system looked at,1)you should have backflashing at the fascia eave(behind gutter),ice shield at least 2 ft. past bearing wall,in valleys,at chimney onto brick(sounds like you have tar at chimney :roll:

I disagree with the r value. In cold climate the R value rec. is an R-49.

i was also under the impression NY building code was r-38. i’ll have to go look it up, maybe it changed.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]

You make dinner, too?

:D[/quote]

hahahahaha…you guys all kill me

Im not saying code what im saying is the reccomended insulation R value for a cold climate is r-49. Code is just a minimum and i always go up and beyond that to cover my azz. I have no clue what the code is there im just saying what is reccomended is. Thats all.

I always ask customers when they opened there checking account did they use the minimum to open it or did they put more than they nneded just to open an account. 90% say they put more in. And if you think about it code is just a guideline. And is not always what needed for an application normally it is more than we use than is required.