Day 1 of roof install - Questions/concerns

So today was day one of my roof install. I wanted to stay home, but alas the Federal Reserve had to announce a rate cut today so I had to work. Darn government :smiley:

ame home to a few surprises. I have pics below. First was that they were supposed to block the gable ventss. Sincethe two sides are blocked by a cathedral ceiling they were going to life the decking and get in there to block the one side. Never happened, and now the roof is done over that portion of the house. Not sure what the plan is now??!?

With this I want to be fair to my roofer so if you could help me with what is acceptable and what we need to discuss tomorrow morning I would appreciate it.

Other stuff/questions:

They 3-nail installed the shingles. Most are flush, but some stick up VERY slightly and others depress some. I assume this is okay? Here is a terrible pic of one countersunk:

Also, in areas the shingles are sitting up from the roof decking. Will they sit down before the cold weather comes? Anything they need to do so they set flat?

Hard to see in this pic, but there is a dip in the roof decking on the right toward the bottom. Never noticed it (and I went over the roof with a fine tooth comb) before today. Will it cause problems?

Also, they covered the ridge for the night by nailing shingles over it. I assume the nail holes on the new shingle side will either be covered by the ridge or are no problem?

Here is a pic of the shinglevent 2 install. That sucker sits tall, but looks fine from the ground:

Dont really have time to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. One thing that sticks out is you said 3 nailed. Those singles Certainteed landmarks have to have atleast 4 nails installed in each shingle between the upper line and the lower line.

Sorry I have a poker game to go to, but Im sure someone else will be by to pick the roof apart.

Did you say they used three nails per shingles? If so there is suposed to be a minumal of four nails per shingle. The nail looks a hair high for my standards but Certainteed warrants the nails to be placed above the double strip (two white lines) but not above the top third line (if run with a 5 5/8th exposure it will go into the shingle under it. 3M has helped Certainteed with the tar and algea warranty on the Landmark line, great shingles there all I install.

The ridge vent looks a little crooked but that’s only when looking at it from atop the roof. Like you said from the ground it looks good.

The areas that are sticking up could be secured down with tar but the sun should lay them down. What you don’t want is dust or debris getting under the shingles before they seal. If the bundles are still on the roof you could have the roofer lay the extra bundles on top of the those spots for a day or two, it may help. The one area were the ridge meets the roof the shingle is sticking up quite a bit. This area may need tar and a nail with caulk on top to keep it down. With the Landmarks if your really carefull you can lift up the top laminate section and install a nail or tow and put a couple beads of tar between them to make them lay flat. If they were Timberlines you could very easily seperate the bond but it’s tough with the Landmark, thanks 3M!!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

So I got nervous and went out in the dark to look. At least on the shed they used 4 nails, I was just all worked up over the gable vents and didn’t pay enough attention I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I just get nervous, this is such a big expense. BTW, is it normal for the ridge to be a tad off like that or should I ask them to try to get the other ones a little more lined up? Like I said, I want to be fair and respectful to these guys.

Looks to me like this crew could use a chalk line. Ridge vents are very crooked and should go from end to end to keep the uniformity of the ridgeline. dont let them face nail any shingles an exposed nail will overtime be a leak “caulk only lasts so long”. best bet is to hand seal buckled shingles with a good handseal like Bulldog and put a bundle on it overnight. Send us a pic of there flashing details and gable rake edges.

I’ll have to get the pics in the morning. I take issue with the rake on one side. It is not straight and noticeably cuts in and then moves back out. On the garage side, they only have the back done, so I haven’t really looked it over yet. What type of flashing detail should I take pics of?

If your contract specifically states that the gable vents have to be blocked, then YES you should insist that this be done @ their expense & not yours.

Prior opinions on the ridge vent being wiggy are right on, IMO as well. A simple chalk line would really make sure things are going to come out looking right.

It’s little details like this that tend to make us wonder what else was being passed over or the crew fudging on.

Often (NOT ALWAYS) if you have a “sales person” who only gets the contract signed & then stops in for payment, the QC end of the job is left to guys who are paid by the amount of product they lay or by the day… for them, it’s fastest in = fastest out.

If you can, please give us a photo or 2 of the house from the yard, then maybe something from the back.

Then, if you can, without prices give us any particulars that the contract states like felt removal (not mentioned, specifically mentioned as “all removed” or "replace as required, etc), charges for deck replacement (not remove, gable work, then reset), starter strip usage (vs. 3 Tab rotated over) , pipe boot requirements, etc.

As for the dip in the deck, did you have 3 Tab (flat) shingles on there before, or was it a 30 Year (Dimensional, like what you have now) up there to begin with? 3 Tab shingles will show the dips all the time & a dimensional / architectural shingle takes up some of the decking defects. To this end, what is the age of the house & are you aware of when the last re-roofing might have been done (if it’s the original roof, it’s obviously part of the 1st question).

PS: Where are you located? This makes an important distinction on what’s mentioned in a post /\ about the potential for them being “dusted” & therefore not sticking. If you’re in South Florida or Los Angeles, there is limited chances you’ll have the shingles freeze up or lock out the sticky line.

Ranchhand, let me see if I can answer your questions below.

The blocking of the gable vents was a change order that they called to confirm with me on Monday. It was not specified in the contract, but was verbally confirmed. They called me at work, so if need be, I can have my telecom team pull the call recording for me :slight_smile:

AS for the pics, I need to wait till we get some light. The crew will be here around 8, so I hope to get that done before they get here. The contract called for the complete stripping of the felt and existing 3-tab shinges, the use of ice and watershield 6’ around edges and 3’ around roof penetrations, Elk starter strip, shinglevent 2 for ridges, CT Landmark 30yr. The contract said they would replace any bad wood at $X per foot, so I assume they would have replaced anything bad, just incremental income for them.

AS to the dip, I previously had 3 tabs and think I would have noticed this, but perhaps not. It is kind of in a tucked away spot.

BTW, I am in Michigan.

Here are a couple pics of the rake. Was still dark out, so they are a little grainey:

Program where in michigan are you? AS far as nails if there are 3 it will void the warranty period. I would have to see what it is you have got going on there to give you an honest shake on the subject. Contact me if you want via email with a number if you are in the detroit area. Im in macomb county. There are somethings i need to look at that you have not shown. How much ice and water have they used. How big is the overhang (sofft) Is there enought soffit vents to let the ridge vent work? there are alot more questions. Email your number and i can walk you thru a few things. Taking pics will help also but only to a point.

Howdy. I am out in the boonies . I do know there is plenty of intake to support the ridge. I did the math myself, as did several of the contractors that bid on the project.

Also, I was mistaken, there are 4 nails per shingle, not 3. I was getting a little nervous when I looked late yesterday…

Looks like a perfectly good install to me.
The vent could be straighter, but it is not a big deal.
I am assuming that the vent slot was cut out…
The rake edge could be cut a little better, but again not a big deal.
You only showed 1 nail and it was a little high for my taste but within specs for Certainteed.

[quote="-Axiom-"]Looks like a perfectly good install to me.
The vent could be straighter, but it is not a big deal.
I am assuming that the vent slot was cut out…
The rake edge could be cut a little better, but again not a big deal.
You only showed 1 nail and it was a little high for my taste but within specs for Certainteed.[/quote]

Cool. To be honest, I am very comfortable with this company. I did my homework and everyone seems to be very happy with their work. I talked to a lot of people and even went the extra step to check out roofs that they have done that are 8 - 10 years old. They are very responsive and eager to do whatever I ask. That is why I, a confessed pain in the butt to work for, am really giving them the benefit of the doubt. Talked to them about blocking the gable vents and they are going to be taking care of that today.

I would have to agree it doesnt look that bad. Just the minor cosmetic things like the stright edges and the crroked ridgevent.

You have to remember that all of us on here are perfect roofers that do no wrong. Its very easy to pick apart someone elses work.

You have siding that can be taken apart and the gable vents removed, blocked over and reinstalled or have new siding put over the holes.

Im sure you will be alright, you seem to have all your ducks in a roll. just dont pay untill you are 100% satisfied…

Shingle, I think what you meant was “ducks in a row”… otherwise, that’s some sushi I will avoid (“duck roll”). LoL.

I agree that having 4 per shingle makes things much better. The ridge cap being squirrely, not blocking the gable vents & telling us 3 nails per started to add up to something.

Provided you can’t see the ridge cap from an upstairs window, I’d agree it’s not that big an issue (it’s the functionality that’s most important, provided there’s no gaps that will allow water in).

It would still be nice to see those ‘backed up’ house photos.

Yeah, I will have to get those tonight. I tried before I headed to work, but it was still too dark out and the roof looked like a dark blob :slight_smile:

4 mails is ok. 2 day on a roof you say. How big is your house? It has been a while for my guys to be on a roof longer than 9 hours. Maybe its just me tho. Ah well either way if you need it inspected let me know thats not all that far from me. My worry is this:

1. how much ice and water was used and if code was followed.

2. has a permit been installed?

3. Ridge vent is the easiest thing to install, with that why is it not striahgt. That stuff will locate itself for the most part.

[quote=“gtp1003”]4 mails is ok. 2 day on a roof you say. How big is your house? It has been a while for my guys to be on a roof longer than 9 hours. Maybe its just me tho. Ah well either way if you need it inspected let me know thats not all that far from me. My worry is this:

1. how much ice and water was used and if code was followed.

2. has a permit been installed?

3. Ridge vent is the easiest thing to install, with that why is it not striahgt. That stuff will locate itself for the most part.[/quote]

I seem to recall it being 36 squares. But I am not sure about that.

1. The I&W shield is being installed 6’ on all edges and 3’ around skylight and all other roof penetrations.

2. I am sure they pulled permit. They are one of the bigger guys out here and a very active member of several area builder’s associations. In addition, they are select shingle certified by Certainteed. I am also getting the 15 year, 5-star warranty with this job.

3. Can’t help you there :slight_smile: I thought it odd that they didn’t so a better job getting that striaght.

If I see some things that bother me today I may be in touch. I felt a lot better this morning after talking to the foreman.

We did a 33 square job yesterday hip roof 2 layer in about 4 and half hours. Make sure that they used roofers selct paper and winterguard ice and water. Anything else will void the 5 star warranty. I also think you have to use hip and ridge and not the 3 tabs they have up there. I could be wrong on that 1 but i always use it to be careful.

That is CT Shadowridge on the ridge. The bundles have been up there for a while.

Are you sure about the use of CT felt and I&W shield? I am not sure those are the brands they used.