Customers

How many of you have had the haggling customer as of late. There is going to be a lot more of it. Some go as low as to say well I have this much,can you do it for that. Have no problem lowering a little to get a job, but will not do it for free. Just curious who else has this going on?

always has been that way. People think that they should try yo negotiate a roof like you negotiate a car sale.

never change price just for the sake of changing price. If you do you will loose all credibility in the eyes of the custumer. If you lower you must change or tweek your specifications. you cant compete in the field of morons who work for chump change, but you can refuse to play there game.

Hi,

There has always been that. We lower the price by taking something off the specs.

Or tell them you can do half now and when they save up the rest you can do the other half.

Or finance a part of the job in house.

Same as Lefty.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

There has always been that. We lower the price by taking something off the specs.

Or tell them you can do half now and when they save up the rest you can do the other half.

Or finance a part of the job in house.[/quote]

(Never thought of doing that makes sense for the haggler.thanks.    and yes has always been like that just more excessive.

People have always been like that. I always used to say nope sorry, here is a name and number of a guy who can somehow afford to do it for that price. I havent ran into that problem much latley though. I am telling you guys, once you say it will cost “X” amount of dollars for me to come and inspect your roof and give you an estimate, youll run into a lot less people who haggle for prices because those are the people who actually want it done and are not just shopping around. Since I started doing this i have gotten around 15 calls. After hearing the price 6 of them still said to come out. 4 of them signed contracts and at least I got some money out of the other two.

We have always had people here and there tell us “this other company is $100 less then you, will you go lower then him?” We always tell them no, we can’t. I have not noticed an increase in these requests. I agree with RooferJ, if you don’t stick with your prices, you loose your credibility.
Lefty has the right idea by cutting things out of the proposal to lower the price but to just flat out cut your prices is bad for all of us.

I agree with lefty as well.

Also Bamm, you can add to this by saying “if we get the job, we’ll deduct the price of the estimate from the total sale.” I only did this if I thought someone was shopping. i.e phone book.

D531 - I know I did not say that in my posting but I do say that with the customers. It truly is a great way of finding out who is actually going to get the roof and who just wants a price.

The only thing I wish is that everyone started doing it.

I have found that in times like these there is the technique of one being able to raise the prices that one charges to qualify the better leads that one gets. This rids oneself of the riff-raff who are mainly shopping for price or the lowballer who will work cheap for the cheapskate. So now I am raising my prices and am able to get better jobs especially in the areas of maintena