Curved Roof

Hello ~

We have a barn (the size of a 3-4 car garage) which has a curved roof. The second floor is literally half a circle. We need to re-roof as the 4 yr old asphalt shingles have flown off. I would prefer something like a curved corrugated metal. Has anyone else re-roofed this sort of structure? Any thoughts on materials? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank You!

Hi,

Why have the shingles blown off.

Are they in the same spot? Are they spread out? What where the weather conditions when the shingles blew off?

At four years it may be cost effective to fix the existing installation problem.

High nailed, no doubt!

To Ona,

Just to let you know, the curved metal roof is a ‘specialty in a specialty’ so to speak, and very few of the metal roofing contractors will have the capability to do it. These are mostly “commercial only” roofing companies that do not deal with homeowners. Of course there are contractors doing this type for work for residential customers, however you are looking to spend at least $2000 per square on such a roof.

So if you are set on a metal roof, it would be much cheaper to go with architectural metal shingles, as these systems are very flexible and can be adopted to your needs and be wind/leaks proof.

Like Lefty said, it is a good option to repair, as you should get years out of your asphalt roof…

good luck

Copper or tin are the materials of choice when I do these. Either standing seam or flat-lock. At $2K a sq, as mentioned, that’s a bit low. I get $3-$4K a sq.

It’s all in the layout.

I can’t upload an image to show you some of how it’s done. You’ll need to e-mail me. ( The forum I had them posted on is down.)

I agree with Tinner666,

when you want make it ONE time right, put something on it that last.

Copper in double locked standing seam OR interlocking copper shingles.http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/6797/img_1219715924.jpg

PS. I’ll make some pictures from the interlocking copper shingles… I am working on right now.

were are you located?

gweedo.

I’m just standing here with my mouth hanging open.

Thank you for all your replies and thoughts. This barn is not even something that we use, so I don’t think a copper roof is something to consider. I am not knocking copper - our home has a beautiful copper roof and it’s an old farmhouse. We don’t know what made the farmer put on copper 70 years ago, but we’re sure happy he did! The curved copper roof photo that spenglermeister posted is stunning! Quite a bit of the roof is missing on both sides. We live just outside of Albany, NY. We’ve been told that the shingles were not nailed in properly. This is only our small barn, our large barn which we can’t afford to have re-done has the same problem, but because the pitch is not as steep we are not losing as many shingles. I am going to try to insert photo’s of the barn we want to replace as well as one of our old home with copper roof. Thanks again for all of your help, it looks like we’ll just have the asphalt shingles replaced :expressionless:

It doesn’t look like I can get the image of our barn in here (even though I’m trying to use the img button) but here is a link to a photo of our old house with copper roof (except for addition): geochoices.com/our_old_house.html

Hi,

It may be wiser to just fix what is blown off. I have buildings that I do this to.

The cost of repairs every year will be less then a new roof. As you go the blow offs will get less and less. The high winds ussually hit the same area each time.

When I do repairs, I replace the ones that are misssing and renail a few around the same area. This way you are fixing the roof a little at a time. Also hand seal the ones I fix.

The nails may be in the right spot just not enough of them for the style roof you have.

I definatly would never put shingles on a “Barreled” roof. Who ever installed that really should be stoned or maybe they were. You either need a metal roof or an alternative. (Which I happen to have…lol)

Sarnafil Decor Roofing System. Its a PVC roofing system that can be fully adhered or mechanically attached and it looks exactly the same as standing seam metal roofs. I have almost gotten into arguements where people insist that a roof my contractors installed was infact a metal roof…when I know it was Sarnafil PVC because my contractors installed it! It also is alot cheaper than a standing seam metal roof. (Metal is still increasing monthly)

Here are a few links that show “Barrel Roofs” in our Decor system.

sarnafilus.com/skaneateles-2.pdf
sarnafilus.com/beaumeade.pdf
sarnafilus.com/erie_intermodal.pdf

We are in Utah, but I already worked in Alabama, Tennessee and in Wyoming too… Nothing is too far…
I love what I do :slight_smile:

(The corners are not yet finished :))

Or the other site of the main door

Sorry for the big pictures, but I promised some from the copper shingle roof.

Good day.

Nice stuff Spenglermeister. Sure beats shingling with 7-19 year pruducts, eh?

I am seriously tempted to move to Utah. :smiley:

Nice work Erno.

Did you fabricate the spouting or is that from NAKRA?
Need a flash on those pictures.

Beautiful roof!

Thank you to value my work.

The downs and adornments are NOT from NAKRA… I made some parts by myself and I needed to buy some from Germany, since I did not get enough time (it is middle of the summer :slight_smile: ) to make them.

[quote=“Ona”]Hello ~

We have a barn (the size of a 3-4 car garage) which has a curved roof. The second floor is literally half a circle. We need to re-roof as the 4 yr old asphalt shingles have flown off. I would prefer something like a curved corrugated metal. Has anyone else re-roofed this sort of structure? Any thoughts on materials? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank You![/quote]

If you’re looking for something inexpensive that will work, maybe a CertaTainteed Flintlastic system would interrest you. It’s an SBS granulated fully adhereed roll roofing system that’s easy and inexpensive. Typically on a curved or radius roof most roofers are right to suggest copper or even steam bent cedar shakes, but both are expensive.

Thanks for all your responses. I do really like the idea of the certainteed flintlastic and the sarnafil. Unfortunately the certainteed installers have either not wanted to do an installation as small as mine (52 x 16) or have not called me back. The Sarnafil rep called me back and came by to look at the barn and said he would be back to me within two weeks. He needs to find installers in the area. The product looks great and I hope that it is within our budget.