Creative Ideas

:idea: I have been in the roofing business for some time but have just recently been transferred to a position I am less familiar with. I have been cast in a more administrative role and I am looking to really attack that from a different angle. I am looking for new and less customary ideas and/or tools for looking for business and customers.
I have the greatest confidence in my company and am proud of how we treat our jobs and our customers so id like to be part of bringing that to the table. Any interesting ideas out there?!? Ill be happy to share any success stories with anyone who may help or give any suggestions. :idea:

no idea what you are talking about…and further more this is not a consat. question it should be under roofing business.

Marshall, I think what he wants to know is where he can find new customers outside of the ways he’s currently getting them.

Agreed this is NOT a question for the Construction & Technique tab; this is a Roofing Business query. If the MOD has the ability, please move this over.

What we’d need to know first is where & how you currently get your customers… then we might have ideas on where else to go.

Secondly, & totally unrelated, I’m curious as to how long you’ve lived in Fort Lauderdale.

RHR

Gentlemen,

I apologize for querying outside what you consider acceptable boundaries.  I offer this by way of an explanation:  Firstly, I am new to this forum and am still kind of feeling my way around.  Secondly, I was thinking that making more of a general inquiry might yield more varied responses...please excuse my ignorance. In reply to your questions...We have basically done quite well through word of mouth and working with general contractors.  We have an excellent reputation in the area of commercial and industrial work and resting on that has been quite lucrative.  As for how long we have been in Fort Lauderdale  The company has been doing business here for close to ten years, I have been here for close to seventeen.  Thank you for your time and if there are any other oversights I have made please feel free to enlighten me further.

Neebo, one other suggestion:

will make for a nice paragraph.

Anyhow…

Are y’all wanting to move more into the residential side or do you want to expand your commercial business? I’m not sure where you want to move or expand the revenues.

There is a big difference in how these clients are approached.

Next question from the ‘unrelated’ thread: Are YOU (not the co.) in your 20’s, 30’s, etc?

Oh, one last thing: on your website, you’ve got a yellow orb on the R side behind some text; that looks too much like a lemon & might make someone think of a lemon of a roof. Just my opinion…

RHR

Ideally, we want to stick with commercial re-roofs, new construction - although often an easier application - tends to be be very administratively labor intensive.  

We have no interest in residential and as a general rule try to stay above 100 sq. when it comes to choosing what projects we accept.

I personally am 37 - too damn old to be climbing all over roofs!   :lol:

Neebo, you moved there @ age 20. I was curious as I went to Stranahan & wondered where you might have matriculated (big word for some of y’all; Gweedo, don’t be afraid to look it up).

That said, the new question is HOW are you getting your current customers? If you want to get on board with a regional Publix account in maintenance of all their roofing systems - they operate 770 lease locations and 80-plus owned stores and centers in total- then you need to try & get in with whomever is running the show (this probably means a trip to Lakeland & a personal call on Bob Balcerak).

http://publix.com/managed_images/sif2971758.jpg

Additionally, your co. website has a LOT of property managers or homeowners associations that are connected with the reference photos; snail or E mail a survey & ask them how they came to select your co. for their repairs or re-roofing. Include questions about how your co. can improve any area of the process from start to finish (that means from better advertisement placement, improving the website or the timeliness in returning phone calls all the way down to the very last customer contact i.e. the final blade of grass being returned to it’s full & upright position along with a touch up of green paint if needed).

Oh, & here’s a suggestion: if you don’t do it already, make it a point of sending out a crew 2 months after the job is complete & do a detailed 20 point or so inspection of the job. Then do the same @ 1 year. In each case, provide a written analysis of the condition to the customer & file the other end of it away. You will be amazed @ how well this goes over… come hurricane time, you guys are golden. GOLD, I tell ya!!

Let us know where you’re finding the customers & then we’ll work from there forward.

37??? i oughta drag your baby face thru some coaltar dust.37 is the peak for roofers.get out of that chair and get back to work!!!

NOW!!!!!! :D

your not a real roofer untill you have been initiated with coal tar pitch. My eyes burn just thinking about it LOL.

Gimme some pitch cream and i’ll be fine. :shock:

You just keep an eye on your mop

[quote=“roofboss”]37??? i oughta drag your baby face thru some coaltar dust.37 is the peak for roofers.get out of that chair and get back to work!!!

NOW!!!!!! :D[/quote]

[size=59]im only 33 [/size]

Same here im only 33

Guys - see now we have a dialog going (even if I AM in the wrong area and im apparently in danger of being assaulted! LOL)

First of all thank you RHR for some really good ideas, it led me to expand on the thought and look to canvasing alot of your bigger retail outlets similar to Publix.

Also, some of your other points are well taken and fit in with my personal views of customer service like the job isnt necessarily over just because its completed…thanks for the reminder!

Now Roofboss it might be tough gettin out of this nice comfy chair and the A/C is a nice change of pace too! LOL

GTP I guess we are the next generation huh?!? LOL!

HAve a good day guys and thanks for all the great feedback

Neebo, keep in mind that you have just transitioned a bit from “transactional” selling into “relationship” based selling.

Transactional means you do a roof for someone & there’s a good chance you’ll never work with / for them again (yes, I know - we all get referrals. Not the point).

Relationship is where you have to engage with the customer repeatedly over a course of maybe even a few years before they give you a try. Look @ AMD chips inside of DeLL computers (may not be the best example, though, because after AMD there isn’t any one co. that stands out as a # 3 supplier… but I digress). The point is that if you were to pull in Mega Lo Mart*, it might only be after 3 or 4 years of consistent contact with that co. but when they finally come around, you’d better be prepared & you’d better know exactly how to service that account.

There are a LOT of co’s down there; you can look to set up a booth @ any kind of a trade association meeting, i.e. if there is some sort of a “commercial property managers group” & they have a statewide meeting in Orlando, go & display your co’s info.

Relationship / long term sales will be your best long term money maker, but it does take time for results to show.

*I’m in Texas & watch too much King Of The Hill.

friggin kids!!!

RHR - Thanks again for more great advice I really am taking it all to heart and plan on implementing it all.

Roofboss - Go to your happy place big guy you seem a bit surly :mrgreen: