Contract clauses

I was just looking for some examples of contract clauses for market increases on materials or extra work you may find after tearing off a roof, damaged wood etc.

what you need is to read the civil code for contract requirements on your area … go to the library?? …ask a lawyer?? … previous employer ??

I don’t know if I’d call that a “contract clause” so much as a “line item extra charge” (on an ‘as found’ basis).

What I did is generate a separate document with fill in the blank spaces for pricing on rafters / trusses, fascia, soffit, chimney re-flashing (where new masonry cut in is required), decking (plank & sheet), etc.

Prices in your area will vary in comparison to here in Texas… I also have language stating they can choose to have any of these other “hidden” damaged areas repaired by anyone of their choice & if they want us to fix it, these are the ‘published’ rates.

My estimates all state prices are good for no more than 15 days from date above. Once I sign the contract, I should have (I figure) had plenty of time to make my offer correct.

I just ordered some metal for a little 12’ x 12’ shed project out on the ranch (walls & roof, snap-loc standing seam) & their paperwork states valid for ONE day… now I feel insanely generous @ 15 days.

Yeah, you want stuff like:

1. Expiration date of proposal price.

2. Something like: “” will match exisiting as close as possible. Because some people don’t understand that 10yrs of weathering will change the shingle color. Also some colors may be discontinued, etc.

3. Something about how rotted wood will be replaced on a time and material basis. Customer will be advised…blah, blah…

4. I’ve sen good salesman use a nice trick which is to sell the roof job and then toss in “Will inspect chimney…or something” knowing full well the chimney needs replacing. Up here my boss gets a minimum of 1,200 for a chimney (we only do copper). So there is at least 1,200 dollars you’re keeping off the bill to make your proposal price look better than the other guys. Little shady IMO but hey that’s why I’m not a salesman, heh.

5. Some disclaimer about interior work for skylights, etc. Just so there is no miscommunication… We don’t sheet rock, paint or in any way touch the interior of a house when installing a skylight nor do we wire and fans, blowers or whiry-ma-jigs. My job is all top side.

Make sure you’re specific about stuff because although you’re average person is pretty cool you WILL from time to time get a jerk who trys to bang you hard and holds you word for word to your contract. Make your standard clauses and when your wording for different things like chimney, gutter, basic tear offs, etc. is where you want it go ahead and save them so you can cut and paste them into a contract. It saves a ton of time. Then you just have to do a minimal amount of work to re-word stuff because each proposal is unique. Just pretend you’re making a contract with the devil, lol. When you can read it and find no loopholes, you’re set.