Commercial guys question

i got a call today to do a bid on a 562 square 1/4 in 12 pitch.

it has a standing seam metal over iron beams with rolled insulation. ribs are 20" apart. 2 3/4" deep

can i cut 2.7 iso board and fill in between the ribs, then maybe iso over the whole thing and fully adhere EPDM. i will try to get pics tommorrow maybe.

any thoughts…??

Hello,
We did a job where we filled between the ribs with foam board, added a layer of ISO over the whole top,dryed in with frogskin and then installed an 18"X2" standing seam panel. I don’t know why you could not do the same with EPDM. Eliminate the dry in and install 1/2" fiberboard and glue to that.
Hope this gives you some help.

Keith

Try a polyurea coating.

i dont know what that is or how to do it…so i wouldnt dare try it on a job of this size for the first time.

[quote=“roofboy”]
We did a job where we filled between the ribs with foam board,

Keith[/quote]

what kind of foam board

Yes as long as you can get a good pull out value on the the metal roof with your fasteners.
Ive seen a lot of these type of recovers done just as you said fill the flutes and then cover with another layer fasten it all down and glue it up.

You can also use a cheaper, Extruded EPS, which can be cut and shaped with an electric hot wire device to conform to the panel configuration.

I don’t use one, but Duro-Last used to make the EPS for metal building reroofs at their facility I toured in Saginaw, Michigan.

It operated very quickly and the EPS was way less costly than standard insulation, but you would still need the proper surface substrate to adhere to and check the screw pull-out resistance results.

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]You can also use a cheaper, Extruded EPS, which can be cut and shaped with an electric hot wire device to conform to the panel configuration.

I don’t use one, but Duro-Last used to make the EPS for metal building reroofs at their facility I toured in Saginaw, Michigan.

It operated very quickly and the EPS was way less costly than standard insulation, but you would still need the proper surface substrate to adhere to and check the screw pull-out resistance results.

Ed[/quote]

you hit it right on the head. thats exactly word for word with what i came up with.

Hello,

It was ESP board. I could not think of the name until Ed mentioned it.

Keith

EPS.

Extruded Poly Syrene

or the lighter density version

Expanded Poly Styrene

You will want to use the Extruded version for a higher density.

Ed

Hello,

I meant that I was using ESP to find out what type of board it is. :mrgreen:

Keith

ED, Eps is going through the roof in cost was informed today another increase is coming in june 7 to 8% man this sucks.1990 labor prices to deal with.

It used to be the cheapest thing in the market, comparable to Fesco. But, since plas0tics are a petroleum based product, I could definitely see a big increase from what I was used to in the past.

Ed

most old metal roofs are rusted and the insulation
is soaked in places, so i like the reroof and new insulation 26 gauge off 22 gauge on.
old fiberglass insulation out new double bouble
foilback insulation in.

%between%%between%http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4534/jacksonofficepics008cg4.th.jpg

filling the ribs w/ iso and installing epdm is not nearly as long term as a metal roof. It is very simple to pull up the metal and insulation and install new insulation blanket and standing seam metal.
My expercience in doing this is very profitable. As far as the epdm option I don’t think it would be in the best interest of the customer. After 20 years or so the epdm will start to fail and need replaced. Where as the metal can be maintained to achieve many more years of leak free service.

with all that said…the customer is being very price oriented. with that in mind (which will effect who gets the job) what would you do?

Our qoute would include several options. High lighting the price, expected life span of each roof system, warranty for each system, etc. This way I am the bidder with the quick fix repair (if possible), the economic bidder and long term bidder and somewhere in between. I have never figured the epdm route your considering on this type of application.

what would you guys bid per square for the scope i have proposed? there is 652 square.

no penetrations. straight shot, 2 story.

well i can get 22 guage pbr panels
for 2 , insulation 1, labor off and on 2,
add what you want for profit.
probably 2.
anywhere from 5 to 7 a sq for me.

to be done in the summer only.

gweedo.

Metal Retro-Fit would be perfect for the job. Excellent high wind rating, up to 30 year warrenty (using Sarnafil) and UV reflectant which will save the owner tens-of-thousands of dollars on energy bills.

sarnafilus.com/index/roofing … trofit.htm