Clean Up

I have a question about clean up. My husband just got deployed, but right before that, he was up on the roof and realized that the roof needed to be replaced. Now he’s gone and my father-in-law is going to do the work. My father-in-law is very handy, but whenever he does a project, he leaves a huge mess behind and I end up cleaning it up. However, I am six months pregnant and I really don’t feel like spending a week picking up rusty nails and shingles from all over the yard. I asked my husband about his father taking a cardboard box up on the roof and putting the debris in that and carrying it along with him as he does the work. He said that was not practical. It ended up being a big argument. How do you keep the mess to a minimum when re-roofing someone’s house? We also have two dogs that I don’t want stepping on rusty nails. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy yourself a couple of tarps to lay on the ground,over flower beds,etc.
20 x 30 is what i normally use.They come in various
sizes and range from 10 to 40 bucks depending on size
and quality.
Also a sheet or 2 of thin plywood or chip board that can be stood up againsts the house to cover windows,doors ,protect vinyl siding from being damaged
as the shingles slide off the roof during the tear off
of the old shingles.
Last but not least Steph, u can also purchase a hand held magnet to remove any nails or staples that may not be caught by the tarps

Hope this helps.
Rich :smiley:

Hi Stephanie,

Where do you live?

Thank you - those are great suggestions - especially the magnet! I will definitely follow these!

we nail the tarps to the fascia boards(were the gutters are) and make like a slide to the tarps on the ground. depending how wide the flower beds are garbage slides over thee beds and end up on the tarps on the ground. the tarps will be tost at the end of the job. then get the magnet.

If you’re doing a tear off and going with a new roof over a clean wood deck I’d suggest getting a dumpster. Seeing as you thought the debris could be kept in a box I am thinking you’re going over the old roof with new. Garbage will be at a minimum then so skip the tarps. Handheld magnet is a good idea but some are pricey if you’re only going to use it once. The posters above have good suggestions.

Every 1 s a roofing expert>
U think a residential homeowner wants a dumpster
rolled on/over their landscape?? If the dumpster isnt placed to the roof eve and the crew is having to haul the debris to the dumpster have u elimanated nails,staples,shingle grit etc around the house??

(QUOTE per your words) Garbage will be at a minimum then so skip the tarps.PAY FOR A DUMPSTER LOL

Besides the additional cost that will get passed on to the homeowner.Not sure where u live but a
dumpster in most us areas has a min 150.oo flat rate for demolition(which asphalt falls under).Finally if she stated this was a family project which money is a factor

Wake up and smell the shingles

Last but not least after 25 yrs exp, doing a layover on existing shingles where u have nails backing out and shingle deteration, not to mention not being able to inspect soft/rotten decking , a home owner is wasting their money.

Every 1 s a roofing expert

Actually I *am *a roofing expert you retard.

U think a residential homeowner wants a dumpster
rolled on/over their landscape??

We use dumpsters on residential jobs all the time. You don’t place them on the front lawn, brainiac, lol. There’s this thing called a driveway…

If the dumpster isnt placed to the roof eve and the crew is having to haul the debris to the dumpster have u elimanated nails,staples,shingle grit etc around the house??

You will always need to pick up debris from around the house when the job is over. Very few roofs exist where you can walk the debris over the roof top and drop it safely into a receptacle. Even if you can, things still fall off the roof and need to be picked up afterwards so you’re talking out your ass.

(QUOTE per your words) Garbage will be at a minimum then so skip the tarps.PAY FOR A DUMPSTER LOL

Actually I said, “Seeing as you thought the debris could be kept in a box I am thinking you’re going over the old roof with new. Garbage will be at a minimum then so skip the tarps.” Advising them a dumpster might not be needed if they are doing a re-roof because garbage will be at a minimum. What you did was quote me out of context, which makes all the difference.

**Besides the additional cost that will get passed on to the homeowner.Not sure where u live but a dumpster in most us areas has a min 150.oo flat rate for demolition(which asphalt falls under).Finally if she stated this was a family project which money is a factor **

Sure money is a factor, when is it not?! You going to eat 40 squares of shingles? Because if they are doing a full tear getting rid of them is a factor too…

Wake up and smell the shingles

What I’m smelling is bullsh*t. There you go talking out your ass again.

Last but not least after 25 yrs exp, doing a layover on existing shingles where u have nails backing out and shingle deteration, not to mention not being able to inspect soft/rotten decking , a home owner is wasting their money.

I’m sorry, I thought we established that money was a factor. You said that right? Now while I will agree a full tear is the way to go people do re-roofs everyday and their reason is…can you guess?..MONEY! While I would advise against a re-roof many people can’t afford the best way out all the time and that’s reality. The homeowner did not give specifics so I was trying to toss some quick general information her way. Now go crawl back under your rock. If you were as smart as you style yourself I doubt you’d be roofing for 25yrs. Keep your mouth shut, stop being snide and you might just learn something.

lol u crack me up mr tar