Charge for temporary tarp on roof

I have a simple question…

I’m new to storm chasing and will be working the many recent hail storms around Texas.
My simple question is in regards to billing for emergency tarping of customers roofs.

I know insurance companies pay 100% of these temporary covers, so my question is:

Do I collect payment and provide an invoice to submit for this reimbursement to the customer?

Or do I tarp the roof, provide invoice and wait for reimbursement?

This is probably a silly question for your veterans out there so a quick response would be greatly appreciated. I’m a newbie learning the ropes so I’m sure you understand.

Thanks

Sammy

Here is what I charge:

75 cents per square foot for the tarp (so a 20x20 tarp would be $300) This is for the tarp, and the labor.

Then I charge an additional $100 for the “emergency service call”. and I double it if I tarp it after hours or on weekends.

Thanks for the quick response Jason.

I’m assuming most customers have no problem paying since we assure them insurance
will reimburse 100%…right?

Thanks,

Sammy

No problem buddy… just trying to make your life easier, so you stay down there in Texas. We dont ever ever get hail here in Tulsa. Especially this last weekend. at all. ever. :mrgreen:

The only time I’ve ever collected money on a tarp job from a customer, is when they either choose to use someone else to re-roof their house, or when they are paying cash for the roof.

before i tarp it, they sign an agreement with me. one for the tarp with a $$ amount on it, and a separate contract for replacing the roof if it gets bought by their insurance carrier.

once i do the tarp, i just wait for the insurance check. the first one will have it included (make sure the home owner shows them the invoice/contract with the $$ amount for the tarp) and i just get paid then.

if they try anything funny, i have a contract with a price on it that is easily enforceable in court (never had to go that far.) but 100% of my customers are just happy to have me out there tarping their roof, and have no problem paying.

All HO policies have as an additional coverage “reasonable repairs.” It states “when the structure is damaged by an insured peril the policy provides coverage within the limits to pay for temporary repairs until permanent repairs can be made.”

I charge depending on the size of the tarp needed,the roof pitch and how damaged the roof is and how many slopes that have to be tarped.Also if “2x4”'s or 1"x’s are needed.

My average price for tarping starts at $350 up to$700 within normal hours.A Sunday call adds $100 to the price and after hours(spotlights,halogen’s)and increased danger levels associated with the night time my base is $700.Believe it or not I have never had alot of problems getting my price.

I have been called a few names by others in my area because I charge that much but hey,I don’t see them volunteering to tarp it at 1:30 am around power lines,steep pitch with spotlights or halogens blinding you.

250 minimum
800 for larger tarps
If, due to insurance company dragging their feet, the tarp needs to be redone, I will call the insurance company and tell them the situation, get the additional tarps authorized and charge them again.

If the insurance company wants me to remove the tarps during the inspection, I tell them I will, but that will be an additional 250 to 800 to come back out and retarp the area.

Good luck with it.

When i had a big storm and thats rare up here i had tarps ready and did not charge for them upfront. Got the job instead. We got 140 some roofs in a day just for tarping roofs for getting the roof. I did not do this alone, seen the storm coming back in 07 called everyone sent them for tarps and well we all were on our way as it was clearing the area they said it would hit and it was only a half a mile off any way with 15 guys the day it hits you stack the deck in your favor.

Get paid directly from the homeowner. They called you,
they hired you, you worked on there roof. So they need
compensate you for your services.
Let them know this ahead of time. If they won’t agree to it, then
don’t waste your gas.

I don’t believe the , “my insurance is covering this” statement

Do we know if they are truly the homeowner or
just a renter that can’t get ahold of his landlord?

Do they even have insurance?

Maybe they think they don't have a deductible, and

there deductible is actually way higher than what you
even charged. You may get the old “I don’t have the money,
I thought insurance would cover this”.

You will find that most homeowners will gladly pay you for your
emergency services. Becasue if they really do have insurance, then
there really is no risk for them, or at least a lot less than there is for
you.

We just submit an invoice to insurance and homeowner.

For any EMS service, I would recommend making a price sheet of all your emergency services. Emergency service call, tarping, etc. And have the homeowner sign the price list. As long as your pricing is reasonable, the insurance company will pay.

Done hundreds of insurance jobs but never put a tarp on a roof (after a storm). Came in as clean up man for a friend who had a big restoration company tarp a roof and they charged $1,000. Had a home owner put a tarp on his own roof and the adjuster had me take pics and write the claim. In the claim I wrote a line item for emergancy tarping for $420 and he didn’t blink an eye at it. As a matter of fact the check was written for my estimate which included detaching and resetting all siding to allow for all new flashing. Told the adjuster the flashing was not code and caused leaks so he said replace it!

I figured two things the home owners time is worth something (towards his deductible) and it took me about 5 minutes to walk him through the best way to tarp it. He knew he was getting a new roof so bought a heavy duty tarp and nailed 2x4’s around the four sides. It held water out just fine for a few weeks.

Minimum $ 200.00

Additional for 7:12 (+ more for 9:12 / 10:12, etc. Each pitch number = more $$ due to the danger & time to complete).

Additional for 2 story (+ more for 3 story, etc).

Additional for “after hours” or emergency (i.e. last minute where you have to drop one thing to pick up another).

Additional for Sunday

I would collect this from the customer where possible, however it is also a good idea to get the customer to sign a contingency & you will accept payment once the project has been adjusted. As a slight bonus, any tarping work goes directly towards the total value of the claim, i.e. deductible, etc. So if a customer has a 1,000.00 deductible, a 300.00 temporary tarp job just got them down to $ 700.00.

Important: Do NOT throw away any of the lost / blown off shingles. The insurance co. often wants to see them.

Sidebar: I did a solo tarping on this house on Sunday.

It was a windy day & the tarping was a bit of a headache… got all my tools down then went up to the ridge cap again to look @ something & the wind knocked my ladder off. I hung out there for 15 minutes before a neighbor came home & reset the ladder. I’m too old to be jumping from a roof, even if it is only a 1 story (I checked out the fences & they were too far down from the eave for me to safely consider a transition).

Also, where these shingles had blown up on the slope, there was a “2 tone” appearance to the felt where you could see the sun fading. Pics of this or @ least the appearance of this will prove to the insurer that the shingles may have been flipped up on the slope for some time.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Minimum $ 200.00

Additional for 7:12 (+ more for 9:12 / 10:12, etc. Each pitch number = more $$ due to the danger & time to complete).

Additional for 2 story (+ more for 3 story, etc).

Additional for “after hours” or emergency (i.e. last minute where you have to drop one thing to pick up another).

Additional for Sunday

I would collect this from the customer where possible, however it is also a good idea to get the customer to sign a contingency & you will accept payment once the project has been adjusted. As a slight bonus, any tarping work goes directly towards the total value of the claim, i.e. deductible, etc. So if a customer has a 1,000.00 deductible, a 300.00 temporary tarp job just got them down to $ 700.00.

Important: Do NOT throw away any of the lost / blown off shingles. The insurance co. often wants to see them.

Sidebar: I did a solo tarping on this house on Sunday.

It was a windy day & the tarping was a bit of a headache… got all my tools down then went up to the ridge cap again to look @ something & the wind knocked my ladder off. I hung out there for 15 minutes before a neighbor came home & reset the ladder. I’m too old to be jumping from a roof, even if it is only a 1 story (I checked out the fences & they were too far down from the eave for me to safely consider a transition).

Also, where these shingles had blown up on the slope, there was a “2 tone” appearance to the felt where you could see the sun fading. Pics of this or @ least the appearance of this will prove to the insurer that the shingles may have been flipped up on the slope for some time.

Bungee straps help on windy days.Are my eyes fooling me or has that roof been repaired before/(Upper right above the chimney?) And that damper vent looks to have been installed wrong too.

7 or 8 shingles?

it probably took you longer to tarp it, than it would have to just bang nails into some shingles. but not tarping doesnt get roofs bought by ins companies. :wink:

however… these days, all they do is pay for a 1sq repair. :frowning:

[quote=“Agape”]7 or 8 shingles?

but not tarping doesn’t get roofs bought by ins companies.

however… these days, all they do is pay for a 1sq repair. :([/quote]

I agree and a tarp on the roof won’t guarantee a re roof either.I have tarped several like the one posted and instead of a complete build on the damaged side,I was payed to replace the damage area and each tab (top and the one below) that I put a button cap thru.

And Jason,you guys should be getting a little stormage going on right now.

it was just rain. no real winds or any hail bigger than pea size at most. :frowning:

its ok, we found 3 neighborhoods that all got major damage 2 weeks ago (the 2"-3" stuff), and not a single roofing sign in sight. we are gonna hit em hard this week/weekend!!

As to this roof, they had a lot of other missing / flipped up shingles & if I was to go @ a repair on this one it wouldn’t help the possible sale for the whole roof (adjuster meeting is scheduled for this coming Sunday, 15 May '11).

As to doing a bungee job on the ladder, there wasn’t really anything there for tying off to (unless I set a screw or something in the roof, which probably could have been considered allowable due to the winds that day).

Maybe even using the fence for a side brace, I guess.

Sidebar, I got into a neighborhood in Dallas that doesn’t appear to have a single sign & yesterday I managed to get onto 6 roofs, 4 of them with “appropriate damage”:

Nice fence whacks:

& Here’s an odd one:

Someone suggested a nailgun, but this would have to come from inside (I’m guessing??). Whatever it is, it didn’t pass through the 2nd vane vs. only denting it.

Ranchhand, that hole in the turbine looks like a .38 or another medium caliber round.Its possible the bullet struck the fin and the energy from the round contorted the fin enough to miss the second fin and the dent in the second could be a fragment.If you get the roof I would check in the vicinity to see if any trusses were hit.

In small areas like that instead of tarping I will do emergency repairs and use white shingles on black or black on white,I keep several bundles in my repair truck and get paid for repair prep,(Labor),installation (labor/materials),Removal of emergency shingles(labor)Installation prep(labor)Installation (labor/materials) then debris removal.

You would be surprised with the amount of money made in small repairs like that.I was paid by the insurance $1100.00 to repair about 40 tabs,well between the insurance company and the customer paying the $500 deductible.

I have used that numerous times for really small repairs.You can make really good money in repairs.

But if enough damage exists regardless of a couple shingles that you repaired they will pay for the build.

Looks like one I got on the other day:

Steep, much?

All of the houses in this hood are like that. Steep, 22-35sq. Most have shake with comp on top (this one is shake with 3 layers of comp) and it’s 32sq including the detached garage. Puttin this roof on next week, and hopefully about 10 more of the neighbors directly after that!