Change to standing seam mid job

Hello,

My roofer proposed a light weight concrete tile roof with “Wedge-It” for my home to meet my requirements for an energy efficient walkable roof. It turned out that this combination didn’t work as advertised and the tile cracked and broke easily under foot traffic. However, by the time that was discovered the underlayment and battens were complete.

I am now proceeding with a metal standing seam roof. The roofer pulled up the battens and smeared some caulk-like substance on the batten staple holes. In addition, tile specific solar panel mounts were removed on a 400 square foot area which left about 100 1/4 and 5/16 inch holes. These too were caulked. Is this sufficient preparation for the metal standing seam roof installation?

The underlayment is marked “Elastoflex SA V, fiberglass reinforced SBS membrane base sheet.” I don’t know what the caulking material is, but it is light tan in color.

Thanks,
Mike

I’d call him a hack to his face. Put down NEW underlayment.

i belive the chaulk like substance he used may be called vulclay (sp.?) it is used on rubber roofs to do temporary repairs. if the y put the metal on right away it may be okay. after the roof is put on the underlayment is primarily used for a vapor barrier.

Hello,

Thanks for the fast replies.

I just found out the the caulking material is “Sonneborn NP1 Polyurethane Sealant.” The roofer agreed to re-do the underlayment on the 400 square foot area that has the large holes. He insists that the batten staple holes are self sealing and the caulk is not necessary and he only applied it as a precaution.

The underlayment has been exposed to the Arizona sun for about 5 weeks now.

Any further advice?

Thanks,
Mike

NP1 is one of the best sealants on the market, but I would never use staples to fasten my perlins, screws hold better.

youll be fine.
dont drive your rooofer crazy.

gweedo.