Certainteed Landmark

I am having a new house built. In trying to keep the construction cost close to our budget, the builder priced out the roof with the Landmark 30 shingle. Is there much difference in appearance and cost between the Landmark 30 and the Landmark 40 or Landmark 50 shingles, assuming I could afford to upgrade. The house will be built in West End, NC 9 miles outside of Pinehurst, NC. The house is 2300 heated sq feet with a 570 sq ft garage. The roof pitch is 12/12.

Thanks!

my 2 cents…the 3o yr are a great choice in shingle.

Unless you are looking for a thicker shingle the 40 and 50 yr shingle is a waste of money.

Good luck on your new house.

Also, to add to shingle monkey’s reply, the 40’s and 50’s have higher wind ratings. If youre in a high wind zone, these may be worth the extra $$$ for long term performance and peace of mind

I personally dont thinkn it is a waste of money if they are staying there for the duration of life. Now that does not happen very often. This choice really is very inexpensive figuring the scope of its being layed down already. Unless you plan on living there for 50 years i would stay with the 30’s. Aside from thickness there really is not much difference between them.

Thanks for your feedback on this. I guess it comes down to looks, as a roofer can you notice the difference between the 30, 40 and 50 Landmark roofs when viewed from the street? We are thinking of the Moire Black color.

Honestly i cant but my eyes are not what they used to be.

[quote=“shingle monkey”]my 2 cents…the 3o yr are a great choice in shingle.

Unless you are looking for a thicker shingle the 40 and 50 yr shingle is a waste of money.

Good luck on your new house.[/quote]

depends on who you ask i guess. I will install a GAF Grand Ultra for the same price as a 30 yr. because theyre much larger and save labor… the cost saved in labor seems to be equal to the difference in the cost of the shingle to me. Maybe others feel this way?

since im winnin fans here tonight on a record settin pace,

let me say i do not like shingles (specially two peace demsionals )
on real steep roofs.
you should put on somethin more long lasting.
metal, slate, etc.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]since im winnin fans here tonight on a record settin pace,

let me say i do not like shingles (specially two peace demsionals )
on real steep roofs.
you should put on somethin more long lasting.
metal, slate, etc.

gweedo.[/quote]

I would love to consider metal or slate, but our budget just doesn’t allow it.

There’s virtually no difference in appearance when looking at a roof between a 30 and 50 Landmark. Around the Cape Cod Ma. area we pay $20 a square more to get a 50 . The difference besides longevity is the wind warranty. A 50 will get you 90mph. If you six nail it , you get an upgraded wind warranty of 110 mph for the first five years. I only sell 10% 30s because of that reason.

JUST FOR THE SAKE OF SAYING SO, I DO METAL ROOFING AND I DO A 12/12 FOR AROUND 195.00 A SQUARE SCREW DOWN. SO IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE ROOFER. LOT OF CONTRACTORS DONT WANT METAL BECAUSE HARD TO FIND A ROOFER WHEN NEEDED. YOU COULD CALL MIKE IN SOUTHERN PINES HE OWNS A COMPANY. roofer245@yahoo.com

On the new landmark they are also metric on the 30 year you get a bump to 80 mph with six nails. Not to shabby for a 30 shingle in my book all i use.

With the thirty year Landmark if you have a Certified CertainTeed installer you may qualify for there five star warranty. This will give you a fiteen year 100% warranty on a thirty year roof. In my book that is a value. We install CertainTeed roof’s and always include the five star warranty with our roofs. A great deal for the homeowner. If company goes under, roof is still covered by CertainTeed for the specified timeframe. I would only hire a Certified installer.

Jeff
www.fairweatherroofing.com

sorry if i confused anyone,
i just see to many two peice demensional shingles on steep roofs , here in tampa, get extremly hot and the bottom peice falls out, because someone has high nailed it , amung other rasons.
three tabs, carraige house, atlas, and other one peice shingles do not have
this problem. and they are cheaper. go figure.
and as far as metal bein so exspensive.
depends on the job for me. i get 5v crimp galvalume 26 ga. for almost the same sq. price as a high end shingles.

just depends on house simple your house is.
i charge an arm and a leg if im hangin off some three story,steep,
cluster----.
hardly nothin for a 1 story, up and over, 4/12/p.
just the way it is.

good luck.

gweedo.

Well Ohio roofer we have that certification also and doing a 4 star currently (customer did not have the extra money) so he gets a 12 year non-prorated warranty.

I’m in the process now in finally getting the certification from Certainteed. Trying for the Wizard shirt so I’m taking my time making sure every answer is correct. Blown away by how well the books are written and how valuable it’s been for me reading them. I’m going to try to get the other six or so roofers in my family to get certified.

All I lay is Certainteed Lanmarks and have come to the realization that the best bangs for the bucks are either the 30’s or Lifetime TL. My price on the 30’s are $43 roof top delivery and $98 for the TL’s. The 40’s last time I bought them were close to $75 and the 50’s close to $85.

The 30’s weigh around 250 lbs a square, 40’s another 20lbs and the 50’s another 20 lbs. The TL’s weight around 335 lbs a square.

Of course you cannot go by weight alone to measure how good a shingle is but the Landmark series in my opinion are top of the line.

All i want to put down also.

I’ve noticed no slivers with Landmarks and the few times a year I lay other laminate brands I get slivers.

Thanks Certainteed for taking care of my fingertips!!!

And now with them being metric and AR its an even better deal in my eyes.

I know there Metric but still unsure if there AR warrantied. I talked with a Cert. rep a few weeks ago and he said the LM’30’s made at the Shakopee plant are AR’s but I’ve got nothing else to go on but his word. The packaging says nothing of the sort. The new nail lines are nice but all of my guys are still going to nail only in the double section.

On homes with staining and algea issues I’m putting on zinc strips anyways.