Certainteed Hatteras

I am thinking about installing Certainteed Hatteras for our roof replacement but can not get a decent estimate on the cost. One roofer we got an estimate from for the Certainteed Landmark shingle told me that the Hatteras would be $400.00 per square installed!! I don’t believe him and I think he is telling me that because he doesn’t want to install it.

We have several bids and they all use a different brand of shingle, different underlayment, etc. When I ask about something other than what the bid was for, I can’t get a direct answer to my questions and I am really getting frustrated.

We need to get our roof replaced soon and I am getting tired of calling roofers and waiting for them to come out. And then when they do, they give a bid on the product they want to use.

I have done a lot of reading on this website as well as the shingle manufacturers websites to try and educate myself on what’s available.

We need 26 squares of product and I really would appreciate it if someone out there could tell me how much more the Hatteras is. I really like the look, but want to know if it is out of my price range. So far, we have estimates from $14000 to $20000.00.

Can you help me?

Thanks so much.

Sandy in WA state :?

my cost difference here in indiana is about 20 dollars more per square,@ 26 sq,s thats roughly 520 more dollars plus tax

I can’t comment on prices in your area because they are different everywhere.

What I can tell you is:

Hatteras is a premium shingle and costs roughly 2x as much as Landmark 30’s in my area.
The cap is more expensive also.
Hatteras is a 4 tab shingle and installation is similar to 3 tab shingles.
More labor and thought is required to install Hatteras correctly since they need to be aligned horizontally and vertically.

In my area $400 per sq to remove and dispose of the existing roof and install a Hatteras roof system ( ice & water shield, ridgevents, felt, new boots, etc) sounds about right for a house that is not too steep or cut up.
Maybe a little low but it depends a lot upon your house, is it tall, steep, has lots of valleys and\or walls, do you have meticulously maintained and cared for landscaping, etc…

Look for a good roofer for this or it will likely not be installed correctly.
If you have friends or family that have recently had a roof replaced ask them about their experience.
A good way to find a decent roofer is to call a couple of high end builders in your area and ask them who they use.
A quality builder won’t tolerate a poor roofer very long…

You are looking for a high quality high end product which will cost more than average.
Installation is the most important part of roofing.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE LOCAL SUPPLY HOUSE THAT i GET OUR MATERIALS FROM.

FINDING A GOOD CONTRACTOR WHO WANTS TO USE A QUALITY PRODUCT LIKE THIS SHOULDNT BE AN ISSUE.

i WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO USE SOME DIFFERENT THAN THE NORMAL 30 YR DIM SHINGLE.

reesewholesale.com/catalog/t … srfg1.html

tHE MATEIAL IS ABOUT 20.00 MORE PER SQUARE

i WOULD CHARGE ABOUT 30.00 MORE PER SQUARE ON LABOR FOR THE EXTRA WORK OF AN UNFAMILAR SHINGLE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS…NOTICED IT TOO LATE.

Just checked your link Shingle monkey, you get much better prices on the high end than I do. :cry:
Standard 30 yrs are the same though.

$400. a square installed for any type of roofing is a cheap price. Hatteras is a good shingle, they go on very fast at 8" exposure. We have done a lot of them.

RooferJ you would starve to death in alot of the areas in the US trying to get 400.00 per square.

Guys @ $ 200.00 per square on a 30 year, I’d be rolling in clover.

the price differences around the country seem very strange indeed. What are you paying for the material,insurance etc ? at 200. a square you would really be considered a scab around here and not have credibility. roofing is hard work, why leave money on the table ?

You don’t need to use Ice & water shield @ 50\sq on 1\3 of the house either.
Costs more for material and takes longer to put on…

bottom line is that the Hatteras is a premium shingle that the customer pays extra for.
They are paying extra mostly for the look.
To make this shingle look like it is supposed to takes extra work…
It is not that hard for an experienced roofer to lay these shingles out right, but it does take more time …
If it is done properly.
Roofers that experience is in mostly laminated shingles will have a hard time with these shingles.
Roofers that do a lot of 3 tab shingles should be able to do these very well, with few if any problems.
But roofers that do a lot of 3 tabs are *usually used to low quality expectations…

I would be rolling in clover if I could get $400/sq across the board.
But as we discussed in an earlier thread.
It ain’t quite like that…
At an 8" exposure they do go on very fast.
After you do all the set up…
If you do it right the set up takes a little while.

To the OP:
You should expect to pay more for this particular shingle, I am guessing at least 1/3 more than laminates, and that would be cheap.
If you find a roofer that will put Hatteras on at the same price (or material cost difference) as a laminate, find a different roofer.
If money is an issue get a different shingle, the Hatteras really does just look like a 3-tab from a distance.
It is an excellent shingle though.
They are just harder to work with.

Wow, thank you to all of you who replied to my post. I also am amused by some of you who banter back and forth!

Since my first post, I did call another roofing company that is listed on the Certainteed website that is an S rated residential roofing company.

They are coming out tomorrow, so I should have an estimate early next week. They did tell me that the price of the Hatteras shingle is not that much more than the Landmark shingle so we will see.

The roofer that gave me the $400.00 per square estimate for the Hatteras, originally gave me a bid of $11000.00 using the Landmark 30 year shingle. This price included everything. The $400.00 per square would be an additional charge for the Hatteras or
$21400.00 total.

This roofer also wanted to use Roof Top Guard II as underlayment/ice and water barrier on the entire roof. What are your opinions on that? We are having 1/2" plywood installed over the existing skip sheeting.(We currently have 22 yr old cedar shake).

I will post again when I find out the price difference between the Hatteras and Landmark.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sandy in WA state :slight_smile:

$10,000 does sound like a lot of dif. I agree w/ Axiom that a contractor can’t simply do these for the difference in shingle material cost.

You should not use ice and water on the entire roof. It is not made for that nor should it be. There could be a condinsation problem by doing that.

roof top guard II is not an ice & water shield. it is similar to titanium UDL. i have used both and absolutley hate the rooftop guard. i would highly recommend the titanium UDL (as would most of us here) if you use a synthetic underlayment.

The plot thickens, it has cedar shakes…

In light of that little piece of information, I would have to say that $400/sq is pretty reasonable.

“RooferJ you would starve to death in alot of the areas in the US trying to get 400.00 per square.”

You’d go bankrupt trying to sell ice water to Eskimos but it sure moves well in Hell.

I will agree 400 is cheap for a designer shingle with shake. With a synthetic underlayment. What is the freaking problem here. Im sorry you can not afford the job at hand sir but may i say you get what you pay for in this business and also minding the time it takes to do the job will impact the ammount the job will cost. Have a nice day and hope for a better bid. Going with the least expensive company usually leads to shotty workmanship and warranty issues down the road.

He’s not saying $400/square for these shingles, he’s saying an ADDITIONAL $400/sq over the Landmark. Looks like $425/sq for the Landmark and $825/sq for the Hatteras.