Cenral Air Ductwork --Roof Hole

Guys,
You will probably need pics for this (which I do not currently have) but I will try to explain thoroughly so I can get a good response. Obviously my home renovations are not going as smooth as I would like (Understatement), and I am relying on intelligent strangers (ALL YOU). THX
The house is a split level. I had 2 zone central air installed BEFORE they did a ‘total rip’, and installation of the new roof. There is an air handler in each roof , and flexible ductwork running through both roofs.
Here is the ISSUE:
There is one area where the central air guy apparently needed to run the flex-ductwork from the bottom attic to the upper attic.(where the two roofs meet) He did this in a very tight spot, as deep under the ‘upper roof’ soffit as possible. This ductwork, when going from lower roof to upper roof, therefore protrudes outside from the lower roof (ever so slightly). This has created a HOLE. To give you an example of the placement of this hole, when I stick my head in the lower attic, turn my head around and directly UP to the ceiling, and look up, I can see light. When I put my finger in that hole (which is also filled with some of the flex-ductwork, I can stick my finger OUTSIDE to the lower roof.
This hole is tucked deep under the Upper roof soffit (where the two roofs meet). I need to know how to remedy this problem??? What will be the various acceptable solutions???
If there was I driving rain, maybe some water would invade that space. If there was a snow , with a drift, there could easily be snow in that area. This area would DEFINITELY be a home for birds and squirrels to nest. Yikes!!!
I know you need pictures, but for now , any solutions???

maybe foam in a can?

just a thought.

gweedo.

spray foam will hold squirrels at bay for about…7 seconds!!! (not exaggerated). sounds very odd to me!!! def. need a pic.

I now have some pics. I moved them from my digital camera to my laptop. Can anyone tell me of a quick way to learn how to post these.
I am looking for the “IMG” button that this site speaks of:
The easiest way to do this is to use bbcode image helper button (marked IMG).

THX

When you go to post a reply, the new box appears.

At the top tool bar there is an IMG button.

Click it and then you can click the browse button to search all of your computers folders or files until you get to the one(S) you want to attach.

Then attach each one.

Then repeat the browse and attach as necessary.

Ed

Can’t seem to post the pics; will try to post pics soon

Hire this guy and sleep good tonight!

:smiley:

nice!!!

Is this what you have?

Ranch Hand ,
YES!!! Thanks for the diagram for all to see. This is EXACTLY what I have. (I was not successful in loading pics to the site). It does seem that on my roof there is a little bit more of duvtwork exposure to the outside, but the principal is the same. For all those who have not experienced this, although the diagram seems minor, the problem is real.

Now that you all have a little better visual, here is some insight. When I stick my head into the lower attic, and then flip around on my back and look up, "I see the Light"  from outside gap (not spiritually.) So then I put my finger through the gap that is between the AC flex-ductwork (illustrated correctly in Red), and my finger is outside the house.

From another perspective... when you are OUTSIDE,  The gap/hole is then present ON the lower roof. It is sheltered partially, because of the overhang from the upper roof's soffit, but still exposed, as I previously stated. (Don't want the 'steroid squirrels' paying me a visit).  

Any Solutions for the proper way to roof around that????  Suggestions and experiences from **ALL** will be appreciated. Any picture or diagrams would also be great.

This probably requires a creative solution (I hope), but it seems that if there is a diagram for something like this, there is probably a 'standard practice' that is used.( I really hope) 

It seems to me that the roofer didn’t do it properly, and the GC did not oversee to give him any guidance, leaving me in a pickle to now make sure when they correct it, it is done right.
IF ANY and all of you guys can chime in with solutions ASAP, I would appreciate it. I am meeting with the GC Today (wed) at 4, and need to make sure I am getting proper solution from him, and not just a ‘Quick fix’. ( I am still open for all suggestions after wed. 4, so please do not hold back any ideas, not matter when you find time to respond. THX)

I can’t thank you all enough for your time, so I will appreciatively continue to say “THANKS”

Photos: get a Photobucket account & upload pictures there.

Once you have them on their site, click the box next to IMG Code" & repost that link here. Photobucket is now the host for your image.

I am thinking a new bump out from the old wall over the lower roof is your only choice, however this will depend on how far down the slope your penetration (air duct) is located. If it’s going to create a new fully horizontal valley, you’ll need a dead valley metal piece. Or you could get it built with a short piece of valley going up @ an angle & terminating under the siding @ the top.

Does that make sense?

Is it possible to move the vent\ductwork so that it exhausts somewhere else out of the roof or sidewall?

How large is this flexible ductwork, 4", 6", 8" dia, etc.

Really need pics for this…

Guys,
The solution they are going to take will be very similar to what ranchhand desccribed. It’s good to know that I can now understand what they are now attempting to create. If I can understand it , in principal, I can then make sure it will work for the long term. THX
Without visuals it’s difficult to describe, but here goes:
They will wedge/insert a triangular “something or other” (wood piece?? flashing piece???) under the upper roof soffit. This will be on the lower roof.
(by the way, what might this wedge most likely be made of??)

My impression is of something that will be shaped like a piece if pizza.It will get wider as the space between the upper roof soffit and lower ROOF become wider apart.   That will run down the lower roof until it passes/clears the exposed flex-ductwork. At that point they will run another piece of 'something?', which will be perpendicular to this 'wedge" and will continue to the external gable wall.
 Therefore they will have boxed in the small opening, by boxing in this tight area of the lower roof/upper soffet 
Now I believe they said they will flash this area, and they will insulate the bump/box out.This is where I have some questions. 

Based on what I am saying, if anyone can understand it, I then have the following questions:

–What might this wedge and bump/box be made of?? metal flashing?? or wood covered by flashing?? other?? shingles??? siding??

– Should the steps be to felt paper…then shingle… and or use a tiny piece of vinyl siding to encase this area.

I just want to make sure that if they need to fudge this to get it done, that it will work. What should I look to do, and what might I avoid.

So is this going to work???

I am sure that along the way, on this site, different “regulars” come up with the proper solutions; Some conventional ideas, and some creative. And I guess that even you experts can all learn from brainstorming. Having said that, I am learning so much from reading here. I still don’t have the confidence to do this stuff myself, but at least I can be educated.
THX

PS-- Axiom,
They cannot move the ductwork to place the ‘vent’ elsewhere because it is not an exhaust vent. At first I though the same thing, which might have a simple solution.
Is is actually continuous ductwork running form the lower attic to the upper attic, similar, to the diagram from ranch hand. Therefore I needed a creative way to box in this roof hole, created from the flex ductwork, that needs to remain in the same space it presently

Continued thx for your help

Photos. PHotos. PHOtos. PHOTos. PHOTOs. PHOTOS.

Oh, & did I forget to mention photos?

Have them go to an appliance store & get some cardboard off of a refrigerator. Then have them make a mockup of what they want to do & how it will look.

By mockup I mean make the lower roof, the connecting wall & upper roof section, then how they will make this new piece.

& Take pictures of this cardboard work & post those as well.

PS: By “pictures” I mean “photos”.

I am familiar with what you are talking about, boxing in that soffit is probably your best\only real option.
This box they are going to build should be flashed just like any other penetration, and it should be sided to match your house or it will look tacky.
This solution will work very well it is just a matter of making it blend into the rest of the house so it doesn’t look too out of place.