Cedar shake question

I’ve seen on a video some serious cedar shingle installers using a box hung around their neck so they can grab nails faster. What’s the name of that box/tool, because I need to get a few. Thanks.

NVM, found it.

abccatalog.com/store/listcat … ategory=90

Actually Shaleese at the Cedar Shake Bureau found it but mission accomplished, heh.

Why not use a gun ? its 2007.

RooferJim

I think I have a copy of the same video.

“Why not use a gun ? its 2007.”

Well I have a large crew on a very high end cedar job atm and frankly they haven’t done a lot of it. They have a little experience and my supervision but I don’t want to give them any guns yet, it’s just going to make them sloppy at this point. When I’m confident in both their quality and speed then they can use the guns, lol.

Hi,

The guy who makes them is from Montana.

They are made for left and right handed

nailstripper.com/products.html

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]“Why not use a gun ? its 2007.”

Well I have a large crew on a very high end cedar job atm and frankly they haven’t done a lot of it. They have a little experience and my supervision but I don’t want to give them any guns yet, it’s just going to make them sloppy at this point. When I’m confident in both their quality and speed then they can use the guns, lol.[/quote]

I’d find a good shake crew then…

Senco M-2 has never let me down for stapling cedar and fiber cement shakes

Always used the staples for shakes too, they hold pretty good.

Every one is brainwashed into thinking staples are bad for shingles but when installed correctly they can hold the shingles down rather well.

We use stainless steel ring box nails with Makita sidewall guns, used to use Hitachi sidewallers but swiched because we prefer wire and not plastic coilated.

“I’d find a good shake crew then…”

Easier said then done. These guys are decent roofers they just need more training in cedar. They have only done 2 shake jobs previous to this as there isn’t a lot of call for that here. I don’t have a problem with training but I’m not going to hand a noob a nail gun on a 95k job and tell him to go play either, lol. I got them the speed nail boxes, let them learn to walk before they run. Besides the whole house is 16/12 so it’s slow moving even with a gun.

What kind of shakes are you using ? most of the ones we do are tapersawn put on three ply over cedar breather. you can more than double your production with a gun with less effort.