Can someone explain built up roof

I’m sure someone here can explain to me in simple English please (not too technical) about built up roof and when and how to install. Is this what you use when you have a flat roof with a saggy area?

A BUR is a tar and gravel roof in most cases. it composes plies of felt with a base sheet and surface coating.

roofhelp.com/choices/builtup/

Its simple man, you put down felt, then tar then felt then tar, for how ever many plies you want. Then you cover it with a smooth cap sheet or granulated cap sheet, or gravel. All done

Wow, you’ve made built-up roofing seem overly simple! And, if you are truly using “tar” as in coal-tar instead of asphalt, you better include some envelope material. Also, you may want to install those felts shingle-fashion and broom them into place. Oh yeah, don’t you think you should use organic felts with coal-tar, especially if you have a little slope? And so on, and so on…

lol I think thats exactly what he didn’t want

and flashings? will they require a two ply poly under the hard flashings?will they be sbs or another APPROVED type? what will be enveloped?everything or the perimiter?will it be 3,4,or 5 ply? will it require a glas cap sheet? will you cheat and mop flashings in pitch too?

**…explain to me in simple English please (not too technical)… **

I think that was done, more than once already. Why do you guys here always seek to hang each other at the slightest mis-wording? It’s becoming so bad I’m going to have to start sending all my posts to my lawyer first for proofing before I hit the submit button. It’s just stupid. I highly doubt anyone here is a member of MENSA, lol. Special Olympics maybe…but not MENSA.

i am!!! iq = 167

I don’t think making fun of Special Olympians by comparing them to roofers is appropriate or relevant to this topic.

I don’t think making fun of Special Olympians by comparing them to roofers is appropriate or relevant to this topic.

1. I was making fun of roofers by comparing them to retarded people, not the other way around. Yes, there is a difference.

2. I really don’t give a rats ass what you think. You really need to have a Coke and a smile. If you look for offence in everything, chances are you will find it.

Tar Monkey and Macroof would have a jolly good time together…we should introduce them. :twisted:

lol thanks for defending the new guy monkey… I got your back next time :smiley:

Is your lawyer good at proofing these msg’s? I might need his number.

Built-up roofing is a generic term for a roof system that is literally built by adding layers. Built-up roofs are more commonly found on commercial buildings than homes, but they’re well-suited to houses with flat roofs.

Built-up roofs are sometimes made from alternating layers of roofing felt with different waterproofing materials including coal tar pitch, asphalt, cold application adhesive or modified asphalt.

Built-up roofing is also frequently known as “tar and gravel” because it is finished with a layer of gravel, crushed rock or other mineral substance to minimize sun damage.

Modified bitumen roofs are made from fiberglass-based asphalt sheeting, applied in layers with mopped-on hot bitumen between each.