Calculating number of roofing nails to buy

I am putting on tar paper and then a single layer of 25 year 3 tab shingles onto my shed. It has 1/2 inche plywood sheething.

What length of nail do I use?

How many nails do I buy?

Shed is 10 X 10 , Pitch is 5/12

TIA :mrgreen:

IF your talking gun nails then one box will do approx. 18 sq. and 1 1/4" for lenght will be fine. hand bangs Probley 10lbs and 1 1/2".

Hi,

Why would you use a longer nail to hand nail?

so you dont have to drive em in as far!!! :smiley:

Personally i like 1 1/2 to hand nail because there a little bigger and easier to hold and nail.

4-5 nails per shingle. one box of coil. or 10 #'s of hand nails (probably have some left over). 1 1/4" is ok

Hi,

Makes sense.

about 400 1 1/4" nails,3-tab specs call for 320 per sq. walkable pitch,add another 156 nails for 6 nailing if it`s a high wind area,and approx.50 more for capping if necessary–5-6 coils if gun nailing and a couple handfuls of handnails for the paper

I am hand nailing. 4 nails per shingle. The sheathing is half an inch. Add the shingle plus tar paper. If I were to use a longer nail than one inch, it would go through the roof and I would see it inside of my shed. Which is 8 feet tall and I wouldn’t hit my head on the nails but still it would look s h i t t y if nails were sticking out of the ceiling.

Thanks e v e r y … b o d y …

carpenterology just broke it down for lefty?

who is this carpenterology?

doin the nail length and all like that.

freaky.

gweedo

[quote=“2X4”]I am hand nailing. 4 nails per shingle. The sheathing is half an inch. Add the shingle plus tar paper. If I were to use a longer nail than one inch, it would go through the roof and I would see it inside of my shed. Which is 8 feet tall and I wouldn’t hit my head on the nails but still it would look s h i t t y if nails were sticking out of the ceiling.

Thanks e v e r y … b o d y …[/quote]

Which is shittier? Nails penetrating the sheathing like their supposed to, or shingles laying in the yard after a wind storm?

put a ceiling in the shed…nails should penetrate the substrate by a minimum of 1/4"

the nails should go through the sheathing for holding power howerver its a shed. that said hand nailing with 7/8 inch nails blows, your fingers will be chopmeat.
i have seen people put foam insulation board cut between the rafters stuck to the nails.

Nails are *supposed to go right THROUGH the sheathing ???

Soomeone please confirm this???*

Hi,

Yes

[quote=“2X4”]Nails are *supposed to go right THROUGH the sheathing ???

Soomeone please confirm this???*[/quote]

How thick is your sheathing? If you’re using 2x4’s then I guess you don’t need to. If you’re using plywood or OSB, then yes, you need to poke them through.

1 inch nails will be fine.Wind will rip the shingles off before it pulls the nails out.

specs say yes they MUST go through. i have seen plenty of houses with bead board soffits and rakes with short nails and no problem. they were not in high wind areas. you could do a six nail pattern with a short nail. you have to decide whats most important. are you woried about getting a nail in the head or is it just apperance.

I thought 2x4 said it had 8’ high walls.

Unless he’s the worlds tallest man or he wears stilts while he walks around, he should be OK
:smiley:

On a side note, I’ve seen first hand what short nails can do. The neighbor next to us in the 1000 Islands had his roof replaced in exchange for using his cottage. The “roofer” used 1" nails on a roof over. The nails never penetrated the sheathing and for years, everytime the wind blew, he lost shingles. It took 15 years before someone re-roofed it and discovered what the problem was.

They had shingle reps, Supply Yard reps and the roofer scratching their heads thinking all sorts of things:

That they never sealed properly,
that the shingles were defective,
that the little clear plastic strip on the back should have been pulled off first…

Everything except how long the nails were. No one ever took a shingle section out to look. When the new owner did a tear off, that’s when they found out what the problem was.

true, he may be tall.

i don’t understand.
if the nails pulled out then they would be in the shingles in the yard. if nowone figured it out that means that not one nail ever came out in 15 years. :roll: