Blow offs

A question…I was never called before the insurance before.Always after the adjuster came out,so if the shingles are blown off in 45 mph winds,and they were high nailed,does the ins. say that it is improper installation,and back away,or do they just pay?
We had 40+mph winds in my area the other day,and I went through my neighborhood and allot of shingles are missing.
This is an area that is 80s houses,and the roofs were do to be replaced anyway. Now they need to be done!,but most people have no funds to do the work…
I find myself running estimates where no one has the coin,they just ask for quote…people think nothing of wasting my time and my coin…

You need to qualify the customer. If they call you before the insurance it may mean they have no money or no insurance. Both cases mean you do a lot of work for free.
Most roofs are supposed to take 54 mph wind without any trouble. If the shingles are high nailed then the installer has a problem.

Thanks Donl. If the roof is older anyway,does ins. still pay? Also forgot to mention that I only know of 1 other roofer in my area that nails properly.Out of all the roofs I have done here,only ran into 1 that was nailed correctly!

Hi,

Why not just repair the roof?

Send me an im and I will give some much useful information in regards to wind blow offs and dealing with the insurance company. It is a good thing for you if the insurance adjuster has been on the property prior to you being there.

Lefty, The roof is older,'88 so it is in need of replacement. I also gave them a price for repair,and said I won’t be married to it as far as any future leaks(nails poking through shingles all over the roof…)My point was that the roof was damaged in 45+mph winds,so does ins. cover the repairs,or replacement?

Of all the guys here that claim to be all that and then some when it comes to dealing with insurance companies,and storm damaged roofs,I am disappointed with the responses I have got on this topic. Maybe I should have said I am Mexican and can’t speak English to deal with the adjuster and don’t know what to do…lol

This is what i know. (and not much) dealing with a blow off case now. Improperly installed roof from ten years ago. Patched two years in a row. This week had 60 mph + winds. Three squares blew off this time. Insurance is deciding weather it might be 50-50 or 75-25 something like that.

or nothing at all. Im not sure how it works i just do the work. And give what advice to the owner i can. I hope to install CT Landmark Premiums or IRs. It has high nailed three tabs on it now. I hope the insurance company prefers the prems over the three tabs and maybe give the owner a break.

Jwoof:

I am an adjuster and most insurance companies out there don’t let the age prevent them from paying for damage.

The things that the insurers will sight are if the roof is completely blistered or worn. It really depends on the philosphy of the carrier.

When it comes to installation, if the roof is beyond 10 years old, then, here in Ohio, the installer is off the hook. Even if it is “high” nailed, typically the insurance company is going to pay something for damages.

If it is only a few tabs, then, they’ll most likely opt to repair. If it’s more than a few tabs, they may consider doing a complete slope.

Regarding wind damage, the insurance carrier is looking for broken tabs and creased shingles. Many times, the lack of a seal is not wind damage and related to age and deterioration.

Depending on your state, matching could be or may not be an issue the insurance company has to consider.

It’s difficult to say that there is one thing that the insurance company is looking for. Unfortunately, there are a myriad of different scenarios and insurance companies.

Thanks jtdew…There are many homes with at least 2 bundles worth blown off,in one neighborhood.The 1 I was on looks good as far as shingle wear,but there are many nails coming through,and it is 30+ square.There are no curled tabs or blistering.I just hate to start repairing 20 yr old roof that is showing these signs of problems.I was in the attic,and sheets look good. Plenty of ventilation,so all there is to do is re-roof.
Thanks again,I will tell them to call ins.co. before they give up for lack of funds out of pocket.

Sorry for your frustration JW. I access this during business hours most of the time and missed your post until this AM.

Sounds like Jt (adjuster) offered sound advice. I will confirm that it depends on the carrier and the state. Here in Idaho there is a tendency to replace slopes in the high nail scenario in the area coverages you are talking about. Also, on a homeowner calling (with free estimates advertised)- and given the number of homes you are referring to in one area, I will respond personally on the first one or two and generally see the trend in the neighborhood and observe the roofs in the area to all need attention.

Usually a repair can be quoted over the phone at that point, given the similarities of pitch and amount- citing your past experience in the neighborhood. If you have an inquiring customer without resources (money or insurance), this will generally satisfy them. If they need whole roof quotes , follow your common sense and charge something minimal (despite your advertisement), or if the customer sounds legit, then ask for their insurance company and say you will contact insurance or would appreciate a phone call from the insurance “as you offer insurance company’s distinctive rates”.

Follow through with this, and you may have more work than you know what to do with, all from the dial tone. LOL
Anyway, good luck.
bmcroofer@gmail.com

You need to educate yourself with what insurance companies are required to do by law in your state.

States will differ on what the insurance companies are “forced” to do by law.

I know what insurance companies have to do in Minnesota for roofs with wind and or hail damage but only have heard stories about the surrounding states.

When your ready to play hard ball with the insurance companies/adjusters you will meet them on site go up on the roofs with them and tell them what they have to do.

Started doing insurance work in 06 and learned a lot from my cousin in law who worked for three of the five largest insurance restoration firms in MN. Recenlty I met a contractor who’s been doing insurance work for 22 years on a reinspection. He was hired by the insurance provider to inspect the roof. He’s taught me a few things in the past several months.

If you have good dealings with the insurance companies they may even call you for work and or help.

The first thing you could do is contact Haage for some liturature on storm damage.

Typicaly for wind damage you will need a lot of blown off shingle or loose shingle to warrant a full replacement. Hail damage is a slam dunk to get a new roof. Several adjusters over the past few years have seen wind damage but looked for hail damage to get the claim approved faster.

To quote my cousin in law who got a reputation of turning $5K claims into $50K claims is, “kill them with kindness”.

Personaly I really like working insurance stuff but you have to be selective as to which insurance companies to work with. Have been running Xactimate for a couple years now and it’s paid for itself hundreds of times.

Thanks for the replies,but I am too late…I went out today to find that the roofs were tarped,and 1 roof was loaded with shingles,and a no-name sub was up there ripping off…(gonna be mixed mess for the next 2 days here)but that is typical for this area…DISGUSTED…Tired of seeing trucks with no advertisement and knowing that some Pimp company subbed it to them…(still guys out there working for peanuts)but at least they are working,more than I can say for me.
A friend of mine had Ice damage,and I gave him a quote for the roof,but his ins. co. said he doesn’t need a roof,and denied the quote…

Most insurance companies won’t cover blow offs on roofs that old. They will tell you its normal wear and you need a new roof. Well its like that here in NJ anyhow.

Thats wrong. In fact the older the roof the better when dealing with any insurance company. Unless the homeowner has an ACV policy the age of the roof does not effect the amount paid out.

If there is blow off on an older roof that you cant spot repair with out damaging other shingles then the adjuster should pay to replace each and every slope that has just 1 missing, torn, or creased shingle. Essentially on the fact that it causes a domino effect. Repair 1 damage 2…

Be careful when argueing this though because if it is in fact repairable you will look like an idiot.

Test it either before the adjuster gets there on an ALREADY DAMAGED shingle as to not cause further damage to the roof. Test it by bending the DAMAGED shingle up to a 45% angle. If there is a crease or tear at the top of the shingle you have an unrepairable roof and insurance will total it every time.

If the adjuster does not buy your argument ask his/her permission to show him why you cant repair it. If they do not agree to pay and you truly believe this is unrepairable damage then simply have the homeowner call their insurance company and ask for another adjuster to come out due to the fact that they do no agree with the initial adjusters assessment.

Always be very professional and polite with an adjuster and never ever get into an arguement with them. They will simply close the claim and make your future dealings with the insurance company hell.

Anyhow… Hope that helps. A bit long winded but I used that argument today and the adjuster admitted that he had never thought about it that way before and bought the roof!

I don’t know how the crews can get on roofs so fast after either wind or hail damage.

A typical claim takes me a minumal of two weeks to get to an agreed upon price from the time it takes for the home owner to call the agent for a loss.

I bet the stormers are out with the adjusters doing it for what the adjusters figure or better yet for the insurance company paying off a lowball roofing bid.

I was offline a lot the last two weeks due to my wifes Mother passing away.

But, for future consideration, make sure you get a contract signed with the home owner, so that the rest of the swarm doesn’t beat you to the punch.

You can ease their frustration and pain, by having the agreement being contingent upon the scope of the work being approved. Now, you are in the drivers seat to meet the friendly adjuster and they are responsible to pay the Actual Cash Value of the contract to their contractually insured client home owner.

If they have an ACV instead of an RCV policy, which is more common, then the insurance company will most likely pay for a new roof, because the age is NOT a determining factor.

Search some past posts I made on here about the Insurance Information Institute and what defines ACV and RCV and how they are to be reconciled by the insurance company.

That was a good tip regarding the bending of the shingles in the earlier post.

Also, a sharp adjuster may be familiar with the DURA Formula, which does a cost to value Repair Vs Replacement analysis of the roof.

For instance, one shingle replaced would be around $13.00 each. Determine the quantity of repaired shingles and the ancillary damage that will occur while trying to do the repair and compare that to the replacement cost and add for difficulty and pitch factors for the repair figures.

Ed