Birds nesting in tile roof?

We bought our house 2 years ago and have recently noticed a problem with the tile roof: birds have built nests under the tile, especially in the valleys. Now (in the spring) we can hear baby birds chirping whenever we walk around outside or bang on the roof.

This is also causing leaks: bird nests are in the valley flashing, which is diverting water and making it come out of our soffits. No leaks in the house (yet).

The house was built in 2006 and has S tile. We have about 150 trees surrounding our property, hence a lot of birds. We have bird calls constantly going, plastic owls set up everywhere, and frequently blast an air horn outside.

We are in Idaho and while there are a handful of tile roof installers, we can’t seem to find anyone who offers tile roof MAINTENANCE. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

its always gonna be a issue. with that style of roof and nature of your surroundings. to control are property we do random shot gun blast. you could try netting tile outlets but, will only last so long

I’m not that familiar with tile roofs but I thought the open tiles were to be capped off at the eaves to eliminate this vey problem.

You need to get bigger birds that can’t fit into the openings.

Actually, in the first picture you could get a guy familiar with tile work to fabricate a small piece of metal to block the opening at the first couse or rake tile. No weep hole would be necessary in the piece of flashing.

In the second picture, you can lift (to a degree) the tile and blow out the nesting material with a leaf blower. You’ll have to do a few times a year.

Enjoying this thread! :slight_smile:

The bottom of the closed valley is always going to be in issue. When we do open cut tile valleys we pack the voids with concrete, but in a closed valley situation like yours if you seal the bottom too good it will cause water to back up and cause leaks. Areas such as the rake tile you can either pack with concrete or use a foam product called tile bond. The downside to the foam is once installed it makes replacing any tiles in that area nearly impossible, so I would stay stick to concrete, it is also cheaper.