Bid Good Only For TONIGHT!

Not sure if this issue has come up…but I need a roof and one day a couple of guys were in the neighborhood representing a large roofing/siding/windows company. Asked if I wanted to set up a time for someone to give a bid.

Long story short…guy came out and presented the numbers last night to wife and I. If I signed the deal last night…best price was $535/sqaure. If I did not sign…price would go up to $945/square.

I don’t like this type of marketing…so I said…thanks for your time and showed him the door.

Some details:

Two story colonial (15 squares)
Attached sunroom (5 sq)
Detached garage (8 sq)
Main has has two layers…sunroom and garage one.
Existing asphalt shingles

Their quote:
complete tear off
GAF Timberline 30 year
30# paper
Drip edge venting and ridge

Some “red” flags other than the “tonight only” pitch. When giving prices…he quoted square foot…I wanted to speak in terms of squares and had to tell him what a square was. Could not tell me what company/manufacturer of drip edge venting they would use.

I have gathered a lot of good information at this site and will be contacting local roofing companies for bids in the next couple of months…this one just confirmed that you have to know what you are doing.

Thank goodness for the internet!

he was trying to force you to sign now.

I just don’t get that type of marketing…if you are a good and reputable company…been in business for xx years and have all sorts of wonderful references and job photos…then why the arm twisting routine?

Give me your bid, explain it in detail, answer my questions and then give me the time to compare it to other bids.

I just don’t get it. They must get enough people that believe that they are getting a great deal.

So today the price is $535/sq and tomorrow it will be $945/sq?
All I can say is WOW. :roll:

There is actualy a valid justification for providing a lower price if the client is willing to proceed with the agreed upon speifications that 1st evening.

I do not agree with the huge increase in this case, but to each his own.

If I have time to meet with one customer per evening and I close 40% of my jobs, I am sacrificing a potential other sale later on, when I would have to meet with the 1st client once again.

Some may say that is just the cost of doing business, but to be more accurate, then that cost of doing business must be properly accounted for.

At the most extreme case, I could see adding on an additional 10% for the additional time consumption, but not double the cost. I too would have shown them the door.

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]There is actualy a valid justification for providing a lower price if the client is willing to proceed with the agreed upon speifications that 1st evening.

I do not agree with the huge increase in this case, but to each his own.

If I have time to meet with one customer per evening and I close 40% of my jobs, I am sacrificing a potential other sale later on, when I would have to meet with the 1st client once again.

Some may say that is just the cost of doing business, but to be more accurate, then that cost of doing business must be properly accounted for.

At the most extreme case, I could see adding on an additional 10% for the additional time consumption, but not double the cost. I too would have shown them the door.

Ed[/quote]

You make a valid point and I agree with it, but this is an $11,480 difference between one day and the next.
He can probably find a legit company that will do it for that difference…

I totally agree with you on that point. That is why I felt a more appropriate amount of a difference would be no more than 10% of the price.

If I can save another one or two visits to a customers house, their is an inherent value gained by me to use that additional time to pursue additional projects, which therefor translates to additional sales and additional profit and covering overhead.

Actually, from that perspective, one would have to be erroniously calculating their costs, if they do not have different pricing at a first appointment closing call rather than for multiple visits to the same customer. The only other way around that, would be to be getting reimbursed for your additional time spent as a consulting and design fee, for specification revisions and color choice reviews.

Ed

They are not a roofing company, they are a SALES company that does roofing.

Get someone else.

not rite.

gweedo

I can certainly understand Ed’s point about the value of your time and how you could offer a small discount if the homeowner is willing to move quickly. But I think G-tape summed it up best…this was a sales comapany first…that does roofing, siding,etc.

My neighbor is a HVAC contractor and he also gave me a couple of recommendations…one a company that has been in the area since the 60’s and has done a lot of work in our neighborhood (I have had two other neighbors recommend this company). The other he recommended happened to be a company that is listed as a Certainteed Select Shingle installer.

So I am off to a better start to get bids from these two companys…as well as one more I that I need to select.

Again…this forum has been invaluable to helping this process…thanks to all.

glad to help.
tell your freinds.

and make sure one of the members here are not
close to you.
we all do roofs.

gweedo.