Best ventilation system?

I planning the roof on my soon to build house.
pretty plain with gull wings over the front porch. 63x51, not including porch. pitch 8/12 full gables both ends. the attic will not include living space.
I’m designing to live green (and save money on utilities!)

The orientation of the house will provide nice breezes regularly down the roof line.

I trying to figure out the most effective method of ventilating it. Ideas are windows or vents in the gables with soffit/ridge venting.

Looking for MORE IDEAS in this because my roofing experience has mostly been re-roofing and repairs as a DIY

Industry standard pretty much agrees the best ventilation set up is ridgevent with soffit/eave vent. There are tons of ventialation posts here, just snoop around.

[quote=“edwin”] Ideas are windows or vents in the gables with soffit/ridge venting.
[/quote]

That sounds good to me.

Avoid the combination of gable vents and ridge vents - it’s either one or the other in conjunction with your soffit/eave vents.

The soffit vents provide your intake, and the ridge vent or the gable vent will be your exhaust, but don’t mix the latter two or you could have interrupted air flow and also void any warranty from the vent manufacturers and possibly the shingle warranty as well.

[quote=“Steve Lowe”]Avoid the combination of gable vents and ridge vents - it’s either one or the other in conjunction with your soffit/eave vents.

The soffit vents provide your intake, and the ridge vent or the gable vent will be your exhaust, but don’t mix the latter two or you could have interrupted air flow and also void any warranty from the vent manufacturers and possibly the shingle warranty as well.[/quote]

Steve, could you please back that up with some evidence??

Dennis - take a look at this…

airvent.com/pdf/literature/WhatH … ldKnow.pdf

or

airvent.com/pdf/literature/TipsBooklet.pdf

Timothy_71

On page two of your first link it says " The major shingle manufacturers require attic ventilation to validate the shingle warranty." Not how much or what kind.
I didn’t see gable vents in any illustration. I did notice that the wind was always shown blowing perpendicular to the ridge vent.

Tar Monkey posted this link previously in a different post. Check it out.

roofhelp.com/ventilation_main.htm

[size=200]HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE…[/size]

Yo Dennis… I thought I remembered a topic similiar to what you are asking before. I just did a search and you brought this same gable vent stuff up before. Did you not understand previously ?
Here is a link. The abouve link came from that same post.

roofing.com/forum/sutra27686 … ents#27686

Why did you not just add to your previous post ?

I believe Tar Monkey answered your ?'s back then.

What are you getting at ?

Dennis,

This is from Cor-A-Vent’s Balanaced Ventilation Guide:
"When installing a ridge vent system, *all *other vent openings (except soffits) must be closed off."
http://www.coravent.com/pdf/balancedventilation.pdf

And this from the Airvent website:
"Do I have to close off my gable vents when I use a ridge vent?
Yes, the gable vents (a type of exhaust vent) should be closed off whenever a ridge vent (which is also a type of exhaust vent) is installed because vents installed in the overhang or undereave area should supply the intake air needed by the ridge vents. Air should flow in through the overhang evenly along the roofline and exhaust out the peak. Any vents in place between the ridge vents and the overhang or undereave area may interrupt or short-circuit that flow of air along the roofline. The gable vents will end up becoming intake for the ridge vent â€â€