Beginner roofing cuts help

Ive read books on roofing but still a little confused about cutting the correct angles, using math to make to cuts.

Years ago I watched a roofer pick up a uncut rater he balanced it over the ridge board and hung it over the wall plate he then marked the plumb cuts and bird mouth cuts.

Can anyone explain how he did this I have not seen this method in any books.

Thankyou

I don’t fully understand the question.

extremehowto.com/xh/article. … e_id=60450

I think you should be talking to a framer, not a roofer.

[quote=“mickroof”]Ive read books on roofing but still a little confused about cutting the correct angles, using math to make to cuts.

Years ago I watched a roofer pick up a uncut rater he balanced it over the ridge board and hung it over the wall plate he then marked the plumb cuts and bird mouth cuts.

Can anyone explain how he did this I have not seen this method in any books.

Thankyou[/quote]

Hi Mick.

He basically sighted the cuts by eyeballing.

He probably plumbed a line for the ridge cut by eye (yeah, us Roofers are great at guesstimating angles…I’d say, the best at it).

Once that was done, marking his birdmouth was a piece of cake. He could’ve easily have transferred the angle by eye (again, we’re really good at angles).

I’m assuming he was doing retrofit work.

Roofers rely more on eyeballing work than on numbers.

I specifically took and just completed a course in Framing to learn Roof Framing and got the basics down pretty quickly (a lot quicker than the seasoned Carpenters there), but I guess it just came 2nd nature to me.

I remember laying up my first hip rafters…they came out perfect. It was beautiful. :slight_smile:
To have both my cuts come out perfect with no gap between them and the hip was sweet!

I hope it’ll make me a more complete Roofer.