Bait and switch

I am in the process of getting a new roof installed. I was quoted Atlas Pinnacle 35 year shingles but the roofer is putting up Owens Corning 30 year shingles. The main issue I have, besides being quoted a specific brand and not getting it, is the Atlas shingles have a wind rating of 150 mph and the Owens Corning wind rating is 70 mph. I live in the southeast and given recent hurricanes this is of great concern to me. Do I have any options? The roof is partially installed and the old roof is already removed.

give him a big thank you and a cup of coffe,you are really gettimg a better shingle

I myself do not like the OC shingles but yes it is better than a atlas.

agreed, it is a better shingle.

[quote=“geeena”]I was quoted Atlas Pinnacle 35 year shingles but the roofer is putting up Owens Corning 30 year shingles.
[/quote]

Did he ask you if the switch was ok with you?
Apparently the roofers here think you are getting a better shingle but I’m curious why your roofer switched after contracting for a certain type?

It doesn’t matter what these roofers here think about Atlas, you were quoted and purchased Atlas shingles. You wanted the 150 mph warranty. You did not get what you wanted. Tell you your contractor to give you want you want, or your not going to pay him. He is bound to give you what he quoted you in your contract. So I quess that raises the questions, Do you have a contract? Does it have the brand listed in the contract? Are the Owens Corning shingles Oakridge or Duration?

which atlas shingles was he supposed to give you?
I don’t use atlas but i cannot find on their website any of their shingles which are tested at 150 mph.
the best I found was 110mph.

I was thinking the same thing. I have never heard of a 150 mph warranty.

The Atlas Pinnacle 35 year shingle is a 70 mile warranty also.

There is no such thing as a 150 mile warranty with anybody. Doesn’t matter what the material is.

Expect your whole house to blow down at 150 mile an hour winds. Thats a cat4 knocking on a cat5.

Owens corning cost more than Atlas.

If he had atlas in the contract and threw up OC you have a legitimate complaint. I am not crazy about OC shingles.

To be honest i wont buy either of them.

The shingles in question may not have been available, I know I am having a hard time getting what I want when I want it and have to settle for something else. I never quote what brand of shingle I’m useing just wheather it will be a 20, 25, or 30 year shingle. I have used OC’s from time to time but prefer GAF, even did a few with tamco recently and thought the quality of the shingles was better than the others. I wouldn’t sweat it too much as long as your fine with the job.I personally, wouldn’t buy Atlas, if I couldn’t get one of the three I mentioned I wouldn’t get them.

If you have a written contract, and it specifies a particular brand and color, which a good contract should do, and you have a copy of that, then you should get what you paid for and expected.

Regardless, the Atlas is less acclaimed by most roofing contractors and OC is just a few steps above that bottom of the barrel threshold, but some may validly support either of those products.

You still did not get what you paid for, unless he got authorization from you, which should be in writing, but verbal would be good enough too, for him to switch products on you.

The cost difference and quality variances between the two different products are negligible and should be considered close to a wash.

At minimum, he should ask if you are comfortable with the substitution and if you are not, then you should be compensated some value to be determined, unless you are so against the use of the alternate product, that you insist upon stopping progress and having them bring it to the Exact specifications.

I see no reason to do that, at this point though.

Find out why the change was made without your knowledge and permission though. Sometimes, accidents happen.

Ed

Thanks for the information. He did quote me Atlas and about 10 days ago brought by samples of the Atlas pinnacle shingle so I could choose my color. The shingles delivered were OC Oakridge (I never heard from him after making my color selection, he just showed up one day and when I got home from work- half my roof was gone with debris and nails all over my driveway). There was nothing on my signed estimate indicating a substitution could be made if the product quoted was not available. When I spoke with him about the difference, he indicated Atlas was holding off on shipping shingles because they’re about to have a price increase and he didn’t want me to have to pay more for my roof. Obviously he thinks I’m an idiot. A neighbor recently had the Atlas Pinnacle shingles delivered and installed (by another roofer). Additionally I have a written estimate he provided so he can’t charge me more. I’ve been waiting 3 months this roof to be installed and have no intention of paying more because he was too slow to get the job done and materials are now more expensive because of recent hurricanes. It seems like, from what I’ve read, Atlas isn’t a good product, but I’m concerned about the end cost since I was quoted something specific and didn’t get it.

By the way, the Atlas shingles are rated Class H wind resistance and are Miami-Dade compliant and the OC Oakridge are rated for 70 mph. I realize no shingle will stay on at 150, but given the recent hurricane that came through my area with 90 mph winds I’m concerned about the 70 mph shingle.

geena

I personally think you should hold roofer to brand selected and listed on the quote. this wind rating difference is certainly an issue especially if you live in an area on/near the coast susceptible to high winds/hurricanes. job should be suspended until this issue is resolved. Have you discussed it yet?

I will share a story that has the exact opposite problem. In the late 90s, I replaced a rather large roof on a rental property. I selected a 30 yr conventional shingle with new installed ridge vent. correct color shingle was installed. only problem was the brand also had the same color shingle in a more expensive “architectural type” 30 yr shingle. Yep, you guessed it. Roofer made a mistake and I got the more expensive shingle. Roofer apologized for the mistake and ate the cost difference. It was his fault. Recently though, I discovered he installed a different color shingle on the ridge vent. Don’t know why he did that. You really don’t notice that unless you get on the roof. strange though. roof looks great and has performed without any problem.

TD

[quote=“TigerDunes”] I selected a 30 yr conventional shingle with new installed ridge vent. correct color shingle was installed. only problem was the brand also had the same color shingle in a more expensive “architectural type” 30 yr shingle. Yep, you guessed it. Roofer made a mistake and I got the more expensive shingle. Roofer apologized for the mistake and ate the cost difference. It was his fault. Recently though, I discovered he installed a different color shingle on the ridge vent. Don’t know why he did that. You really don’t notice that unless you get on the roof. strange though. roof looks great and has performed without any problem.

TD[/quote]

He probally used a 25 year 3-tab shingle for the ridge, the color always varies differently from the 30 year shingle.

Geena, I see now that the Atlas was your request and he did not consult with you on the switch, that is just wrong. He should have told you they were not available and let you decide to wait or choose another.