Bad rafters? Help

We just purchased an older house. The roof looks good, no leaks. But when poking around in the attic we noticed that 2 of the rafters had long cracks in them. Can this be fixed, replaced, or reinforced is some way without tearing the roof off. Is there and inexpensive way of maybe temporarily fixing this for a couple of years. Finances are tight after purchasing this home and doing all the other repairs.

OH NO IN OHIO

sister some 2x6’s on either side of the cracked rafters like a splint would be on a broken arm and call me in the morning.

[size=200]NEXT[/size]

Is the roof a 3T or Dimensional? A 3T will probably show your deflection (a visible dip or rise) moreso than a 30 year type shingle.

Did you get a presale inspection from a licensed inspector? This may be something that should have been caught by them & if it’s REALLY serious, I’d see what other options there might be.

OTOH, Marshall is right & it may be a minor issue. You could add new 2x6’s on both sides of the fractures & if it were me, I might offer a customer two choices; gang nail 16D’s (or) set some large metal plates up there on each side of the crack & drill holes, then set bolts through to the other side with lock washers.

You may also want to look into reinforcing or pressing the split section back UP a bit, then setting your sistered pieces & removing the pressure jack.

CISTER EACH DAMAGED BEAM,PUT A 2X6 PLATE ACROSS 4-5 BEAMS,THEN ONE ON THE FLOOR OF THE ATTIC,INSTALL SOME CONNECTING STUDS SO THE ISN`T AN ISSUE WITH THE EXTRA WEIGHT BOWING THE ROOF

ditto marshall, ranch, god.

gweedo.

the only thing you have to watch for in that is that the 2x6 you run to the attic floor (which you will only need if your rafter is broken totally in half and sagging) is resting on a load bearing wall, or you can kiss your ceiling good bye.

Marshall, agreed.

That’s why I suggested a temporary installation of a jack beam, do repairs & then remove.

For a clarification, though, I’d put my metal plates near the outside ends of the new lumber.

Meaning if the crack is about 2’ tip to tail on where the split wood shows, use two 5’ pieces of sistered wood & install the plates near each end of the new wood pieces.

I agree with G-Tape.

I do not agree with liver & onions.