Attic fan & ridge vent?

Hi,

First off, I know very little about roofing, so bear with me.

I’m having my roof redone. Currently I have turtle vents and soffit vents. I had a roofer come out and tell me they’d like to put in a ridge vent and attic fan and remove the turtle vents. I read up on this a bit and it sounds like attic fans and ridge vents should not be used together because it could short-circuit the airflow. I questioned the roofer on this and he stated that it was their experience that the combo is not detrimental if the attic fan is located properly. He said that the attic fan should be put close to the ridge vent and not far away from it, and that this could actual improve ventilation.

I’m skeptical, but what do I know? It seems like 95% of people out there think it’s a bad combo, but there are some who think it’s ok. Is the rest of the world just slow at catching up?

What do you think?

I think you should follow the roofing system manufacturers recommendations and not short circuit the ventilation system.

Attic fans will suck in air through the ridgevent. Instead of turning the entire volume of warm moist air from the attic, you will be inhaling fresh air and exhaling the same fresh air while then rest of the attic stagnates.

aaron is right.

when you put a power vent near the ridge vent, the air will follow the path of least resistance, and be sucked thru the ridge vent, and right back out of the power vent, moving very little, if any air in your attic.

a proper ventilation in an attic will pull the cooler air from the eves, or sides, and suck it out thru the top of the roof, via power, ridge, or pan vents.

I may have read it incorrectly but it didn’t sound like a power vent to me.

It sounded more like a whole house fan.
If done right I think that it would enhance the ventilation, if done wrong it will mess it all up.
A tricky setup.

But why have a powered system when a properly done passive system will work very well.

It seems to me that the proposed system could potentially “suck” the heat out of the house, increasing heating costs.
Slightly.

Yeah, I’m concerned because almost everyone says don’t mix them. It would be one thing if it were 50/50, but it’s not.

My understanding is that a power vent would be installed and not a whole house fan.

So, if it’s not good to mix, which is usually the better option? Attic fan or ridge vent?

I like the idea of a passive system that won’t require any extra electricity, but is that enough to properly ventilate? We have TONS of soffit vents (pretty much the entire underside of the “overhang” is a vent). I’ve heard that one issue with ridge vents is that they can get clogged and you have to manually clean them, but we have no overhanging trees nearby at all, so we don’t think debris will be much of an issue. Also, as mentioned above, aren’t attic fans likely to draw heat from the house?

Most power vents are set up with a thermostat, so that they don’t suck the heat out of the attic during the winter.

I wouldn’t use power vents unless there is a huge need for it. the energy savings gained by the power vent, is usually offset by the cost of the electricity used, in addition to the fact that the power vent cost hundreds of dollars more than the static vents, it could take a lifetime for it to make a difference, and before it actually does, they usually end up needing replaced for one reason or another anyway, and at that point, you are losing money.

and to answer your question, 95% of the homes i do, get static “box” or “pan” vents, along with soffit vents.

personally, i think that ridge vents look like crap. the raised ridge looks like something is wrong with the roof from a normal persons ppoint of view. i think Z ridge looks 100x better, and ive seen ridge vents collapse when someone steps on them accidentally, and ive seen them clogged with debris, and they get brittle after many years, and sometimes sag in places, depeding on the manufacturer.

so if you dont get what i’m saying… i dont like ridge vents. lol

At one time almost everyone thought the sun revolved around the earth.

I think there are still a few roofers here who think the earth is flat. :smiley:

bigperm,

Take a look at this webpage link and the videos.

roofingcontractorreview.com/Roof … ation.html

Then ask someone to supply you with some/any scientific study or research that will support their “short circuit” myth.