Atlas or Certainteed

Need advice on which shingle to go with on a re-roof job, if all other marketing factors considered equal, which one is the best value?

Contractor 1:
Certainteed Presidential - $18.5k
Atlas Stormmaster Slate - $14.4K
Certainteed Landmark Pro - $12.5k
Tamco something - $11.7k

Contractor 2:
Atlas Stormmaster Slate - $12.5K
Atlas Pinnacle - $10.5k

Those are all good choices!
The atlas pinnacle is nice.
It really is a good shingle.
Easy to nail the double laminate everytime
And a lifetime warranty against streaking!
Fantastic shingle!!
when i handle it, i really feel like i am handling quality!
A little harder to cut than the regular certainteed Landmarks around here.

Next up would be the landmark pros.
Real quality here from a good plant
A little further away than the plant that provides
My regular Landmarks.
These shingles are going to be cosmeticly better than the pinnacles.
But might start streaking before year 10.
I cant swear to that.
I know the regular landmarks from the plant near me start streaking after year 6 like clock work.

Next would be the Atlas storm master “shake”"
Its got everthing!
Super quality, fantastic looks
Lifetime against streaking
And bullet proof wind resistance.

I have zero experience with the
Atlas storm master “slate”.

If you are looking for no streaking over time and good shingle, go with atlas pinical. If looking for better color and nicer looking shingle, knowing some staining is possible in 10 years go with landmark pro.

Presidential shake is a very nice shingle if the look fits your house. On the right house and the right pitch they look awesome, but if the pitch is not steep enough or if you look uphill or downhill at the house they can look a little funky.

Personally I do not like any low end “slate” shingles such as atlas slate. They are basically just old style 3 tab shingles in a different shape. Dimensional shingles preform better in my opinion. If there are any humps in the decking or they are not installed perfectly straight, it will be noticeable, sometime very noticeable.

Truth is between standard laminates like landmark, heritage, pinnacle etc, there isn’t enough difference to stuff a humming birds ass! They are all road material (tar and gravel) basicly. They get there fiberglass mats from the same source, granules from the same source (save IKO) etc… Its the installer and the company that stands behind him or her that really make the difference. Pick well grasshopper, and may the force be with you.

This simply is not true, there is a difference in quality of material from different manufacturers.

All shingle manufacturers use asphalt (except Malarkey) this is true but it is not the same quality or formulation this differs among manufacturers.

Some manufacturers use a higher metal content in their granules which help to combat moss and algae growth and streaking.

If you were around in the 90’s you are well aware that the quality and composition of the mat on which the shingle is built is critical to the long term performance of an asphalt shingle.

The quality and composition of the mat varies from one manufacturer to the next.

Even something as simple as the sealing strip can cause a shingle to fail, if it’s too strong the shingles will rip over time if it is not strong enough the shingle may blow off.

The packaging has an effect on the final product also, with the advent of plastic wrappers there are many more damaged corners from mishandling and the plastic wrapper retain water so in cold climates everything freezes together.

There is a lot more engineering & technology involved in designing & manufacturing an asphalt shingle than many fully realize and to say that they are all the same is just plain ignorance.

Right there with you axiom. 5 years ago we were doing alot of atlas (malarkey not avalible here) because of the large double nail strip and the 3m granuals. The main reason we stopped using them was because of so many damaged corners and bad bundles all due to how they pallatize the bundles with corners hanging off.

Even the best mechanic would miss a bad shingle and put it on, only having to go back and switch it out after you looked at the roof from the ground.

It really is the small things along with a quality installer that makes a good roof.

I’ve been around since the 70’s. Yes shingles have improved vastly since the days of organic mat shingles, but that’s about it. The asphalt has been modified so less has to be used primarily because there is less available these days, and pricing is high.
Virtually all except IKO use 3M granules, virtually all use mat from the same source. It’s down to seal strip placement and size, amount of asphalt used, style of shingle, and color as only difference. Well, and warranty of course. But we know how they really work!
There is really only so much you can do with this material, that’s why almost all of these manufactures are exploring alternative product lines. Malarkey shingle are asphalt as well, they are SBS, instead of the usual APP asphalt, but so are most IR shingles. Good for impact, but bad for scaring.

Kevin Pratt

Please excuse my abbreviated message sent via iPhone

Some of the atlas shingles are also sbs, I know the pinical is not, but the slate might be.

Most IR shingles are SBS with exception of at least one I know of, Landmark IR are still APP

Kevin Pratt

When you call asphalt shingles APP are you saying that they are the same material as APP modified bitumen?

Not a flat roof guy but it’s
APP Atactic Polypropylene.

It’s a flat roof material so I was curious as to why you were linking it too asphalt shingles.

We put on a good bit of Atlas this year. They’ve come a long way. I would put Atlas on my house right now before I would Certainteed. We put on several StormMaster Shake and Slate. Don’t care much for the shake cosmetically, I like the Slate. I think both are exceptionally good values.

With the exception of IKO, the other major brands are all decent. A lot more important to focus on the installer than it is the shingle.

Because it’s the type of asphalt (bitumen) used in most shingles, other than the SBS variety for IR, from what I understand. When people hear “mod bit” they think of flat roofing material. But in reality bitumen is just another term for asphalt, and most often refers to that asphalt that comes from oil refining. All bit is modified “altered” for various uses, hence even shingles are a “mod bit” as well as flat roofing membranes.
My point of all this is that aside from application guidelines, warranties, and subtle differences in weights and sizes, and seal strips, most asphalt shingle are basicly the same. If properly applied they last about the same under similar conditions. It’s the roofer and his knowledge of flashings and roof junctures that makes the real difference! And those people are a dying breed.

Kevin Pratt

Last I talked to atlas rep they were claiming same material used in mod bit is used in there impact resistant shingles, not avalible in my area so didn’t pay a ton of attention. Really hate when a rep comes to something local and starts talking about products not avalible in that region…instant. Attention looser for me.

If you are looking for the best looking shingle in the weathered wood color scheme, i just love the
"Majestic shake" from the atlas stormmaster shake. It retains its amazing color really well and
I can attest it is at least cat 2 hurricane proof as well.

When we did Burs we would frequently use SBS modified as a cap sheet, this is the same stuff the SBS shingles are made of.

We always applied APP with a torch, I’ve never heard it linked to asphalt shingles until now.

Home owner with recent re-roof here, and I know you said all other marketing factors considered equal, but I just wanted to add in that the warranty had a big effect on my decision. I had already decided on Certainteed for my roof. And the roofer I selected had their Select Shinglemaster cert. So they were able to include a 50 year warranty - non-prorated, and 25 years workmanship. I believe 25 year workmanship is also backed by Certainteed if the roofer that did the job goes away. Other roofers that didn’t have that Certainteed cert would include 5 year workmanship warranty.
Warranty is also transferable to buyer if I sell the house within 15 years of install.
So that warranty, which I believe is backed by Certainteed, helped make my decision on which roofer to go with and it did cost a bit more. But I then felt okay with going with the Landmark Solaris, which cost a bit less than Pro, because of the better warranty. I’m in SoCal, so we’re not talking extreme weather here.

I hadn’t heard of Atlas - looks like they aren’t on the West coast, though, which is probably why.

Ended up going with Certainteed Landmark Pro Moire Black, Hardiboard fascia, colonial PVC moulding and black drip edge. Looks great!

Looks real good Pinto!